Jackson, West Tenn Library posts notice banning guns at north branch

This is a discussion on Jackson, West Tenn Library posts notice banning guns at north branch within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Library posts notice banning guns at north branch | jacksonsun.com | If you're looking for a book in North Jackson, don't bring your gun. Two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson, West Tenn Library posts notice banning guns at north branch

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Library posts notice banning guns at north branch | jacksonsun.com |

If you're looking for a book in North Jackson, don't bring your gun.

Two weeks ago, Jackson-Madison County Library officials posted notices near the entrances of the library's branch off North Highland Avenue warning visitors that firearms are not allowed inside.

Arlene Griffin, who manages the library's north branch, said library officials decided to put up the signs after a frequent patron asked her if he could bring his gun inside.

The patron has a permit to carry a gun but left the gun in his car, she said.

"He said, 'Is this something I should not do later on?'" Griffin said.

Griffin said she contacted Jackson police about state law. Police advised her to post the signs.

"It's one of those weird things that came up," Griffin said. "I haven't noticed anybody carrying."

She said no library users had asked about the signs, but readers said Wednesday that they had noticed the warnings.

Mark Sinclair said he first spotted the signs about a week ago.

"I don't know why anybody should bring a gun in here," said Sinclair, 45, of Jackson. "It makes sense, but I don't know why you would have to spell it out."

Janice Henry said she had noticed the signs in recent weeks when she stopped by for reference material for her management class.

She said she has never worried about someone bringing a gun into the library, but understands why the signs were posted.

"Obviously people shouldn't bring guns to places like this building, but they do," said Henry, 45, also from Jackson.

There are no immediate plans to post warnings at the library's main downtown branch, Library Director Richard Salmons said.

"We're not looking to put up any signage," he said. "But that issue could change if someone comes and asks for it."

Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.

- Nicholas Beadle, (731) 425-xxxx
    I don't use the library, but I will be stopping by to let the manager know that this gives me more reason, probably *carrying* literature.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Why is it to the interviewed "obvious" that no one should be bringing a gun into the library?
    How is the library different than the local Barnes & Noble, B.Dalton Bookseller, or any other public space place...where citizens do lawfully carry concealed?

As to the block head who like a complete dolt asked if he should not be carrying thanks alot, guy.
    Now thanks to his own singular action he has affected untold many other patrons amongst his community who also may have been carrying when they were in the library as well. Like me.

This is yet another example of how paying attention to ones state, county, and local/town laws is key for CCW folks like us. Do not do like this dummy did and walk up to Jane Doe, employee, and ask 'Hey do you think it's okay that I have my gun on me right now?'.
    The pat answer is going to be no, fool. Unless you happen to live in Texas.

Geez...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't ask, don't tell...come to think about it, isn't that what the criminals do anyway?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    At times we are our own worst enemy!!! One should learn to keep their pie hole closed......

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

What's the state law state?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    "Police advised her to post the signs".......I wonder what that's all about?

"Obviously people shouldn't bring guns to places like this building, but they do," The same could be said about churches and malls, so I wonder what the policy is at those places where they had signage in place and recent shootings.

Ask the head librarian how well she thinks the gun free zone worked for Virginia Tech?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The emotions I have about this are represented above. Now we can all go bleat happily in a Criminal Empowerment Zone.

Luckily the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners corrected a similar situation here in Ann Arbor.

MCRGO Prevails with Ann Arbor Library
    2008/02/11
    Feb 11, 2008

Late in 2007, it was brought to our attention that the Ann Arbor District Library banned all weapons from library premises, including lawfully licensed and carried concealed handguns by its patrons.

MCRGO's legislative analyst David Felbeck (Professor Emeritus, University of Michigan and past President of MCRGO) recently sat down with library officials to examine the library's current policy, as well as Michigan's preemption law, which says in no uncertain terms, that "a local unit of government shall not ... enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ... except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state."

Results: The library was cooperative and changed their "Patron Behavior" rules, which now read: "Bans all weapons from Library premises, except for concealed weapons that are exempt from licensure under Michigan law or lawfully licensed and carried in compliance with Act 372 of 1927, as amended."

Pretty cool for "liberal" hippy dippy Ann Arbor, no?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't ask, don't tell...come to think about it, isn't that what the criminals do anyway?
    In Tennessee, the sign carries the weight of the law. Violating it would make one a criminal.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I saw this too and I dont use the libary. Theres suppose to be a meeting, it was posted on the comments section of that article...im thinking about attending....

I am curious does that sign have the proper verbage..I bet it does

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why is it to the interviewed "obvious" that no one should be bringing a gun into the library?
    How is the library different than the local Barnes & Noble, B.Dalton Bookseller, or any other public space place...where citizens do lawfully carry concealed?

As to the block head who like a complete dolt asked if he should not be carrying thanks alot, guy.
    Now thanks to his own singular action he has affected untold many other patrons amongst his community who also may have been carrying when they were in the library as well. Like me.

This is yet another example of how paying attention to ones state, county, and local/town laws is key for CCW folks like us. Do not do like this dummy did and walk up to Jane Doe, employee, and ask 'Hey do you think it's okay that I have my gun on me right now?'.
    The pat answer is going to be no, fool. Unless you happen to live in Texas.

Geez...

- Janq
    Thats the same thing I said in the comment section of that article(Weps1) why oh why did he go and ask, if its not posted or banned by law keep your damn mouth shut, as soon as you ask the signs will go up

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    In Tennessee, the sign carries the weight of the law. Violating it would make one a criminal.
    As long as the gun red slash has the verbage on it, i dont think a gun red circle slash is good enough, not that i want to be the test case, i tired looking at the picture from the article and it appears to have some text and seeing how they contacted police i bet they were also told about the verbage.

I may just drive out there and see if i can get a picture of the sign

"I don't know why anybody should bring a gun in here," said Sinclair, 45, of Jackson.
    Well then, you're not thinking clearly. Why bring a firearm into the library? Protection against crime, same as in any other locale. Given the enthusiastic manner in which current-day criminals go about their business, there shouldn't be any confusion about that.

It would be more intelligent to ask the more-basic question: is your life worth defending ... yes or no?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It would be more intelligent to ask the more-basic question: is your life worth defending ... yes or no?
    +1
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I think the guy may have been a lot smarter than he has been given credit for. It's entirely possible he got exactly the result he expected , and wanted.

I am trying to wrap my feeble little mind around the possibility of a mass shooting at a public library, and I can't do it.

College or school library I can see, but not public. Then again, whack job mass shooters are the one breed of criminal I can not think like.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links