Carry by pregnant women?

Carry by pregnant women?

This is a discussion on Carry by pregnant women? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are expecting our second in Sept. She has her own gun(Bersa Thunder 380), and Georgia Firearms License. Any thoughts/ideas on how,or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry by pregnant women?

Carry by pregnant women?

My wife and I are expecting our second in Sept. She has her own gun(Bersa Thunder 380), and Georgia Firearms License. Any thoughts/ideas on how,or if, to carry?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Congratulations.

Lima would be the defacto expert. I only look like I am pregnant.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

FYI, currently she carries in the outside pocket of her purse. The pocket has a flap that folds down to conceal her gun.

My wife will often carry in a CCW designed purse with a velco closure on one end that will house only the weapon....this is convienent and fast. Don't make her mad!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Congrats.

Senior Moderator
    CONGRATULATIONS! When is she due?

I'm still in my first trimester and still working on this whole pregnancy/carry thing. I've never been a fan of off body carry (mostly because my purse is not in my control a lot of the day) and so I still favor having it on me in some way.

The biggest problem is that every woman and every pregnancy is different.

I not only want to be carrying but my desire to protect myself and the life of my unborn child makes me want to sleep with my gun! I'm 100 times more anxious to defend the both of us, especially since my baby is incapable of protecting himself (come on, he doesn't even have feet yet).

My biggest problem so far has been pain. Since very shortly after I discovered I was pregnant I have had severe pain in my lower abdomen not to mention bloating, morning sickness, expanding waistline (that will happen, I'm told) therefore making my regular clothes and belt uncomfortable. Absolutely ANYTHING around my abdomen is uncomfortable for me on more days than not and my typical mode of dress has been overalls to keep all tension off of my waistline.

My heavy guns I've so loved to carry have gone the way of the dodo (for now) and even my lighter more concealable ones have been traded in favor of pocket carry of my Colt Mustang.

However, because of my change in attire in the last few weeks, even that has been interesting.

So, I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Scandium framed .357 from Smith and Wesson, install a clip for clip draw and enjoy the versatility of sticking it anywhere and still being armed.

We thought we had planned well for this by purchasing a lighter 9mm for carry while I was pregnant but we never expected all the pain and discomfort that would result from the pregnancy so now we are making it up as we go along. I think the .357 in such a light package will be light enough for me to clip on the inside of my overalls or on any light elastic pants or skirts I might be wearing, not get in the way and still be very accessible for me should I need it. I think I will be moving from kidney carry to appendix carry as well as the swell of my tummy is making a nice little indent by my hip where a small j-frame would fit nicely.

Most women (or so I'm told) live relatively normal lives while pregnant at least until their 6th week where they MAY begin to feel the effects of morning sickness (though some can and do develop it earlier). Still some do not experience any other discomfort and the growing abdomen usually doesn't start until a couple weeks later making changing attire less of a concern in early pregnancy.

My prayer is that your wife has not been having the discomfort that has driven me out of my favored modes of carry and dress and she can continue to carry for a long time with whatever she desires, but if not, there are always options out there for her.

My only other issue has been figuring out where to put that gun when I have to disrobe for all of my doctor visits (which has been about one every week (mostly because of the unusual pain)).

I am planning and writing an EXTENSIVE article about my experiences when this is all over with and carry while carrying a baby is also going to be interesting but I'm more than determined!

My children will be protected until they are able to do so themselves!

I chose not to carry on body while pregnant, and still not while nursing(4th son is 3 1/2 months) because of the unknown lead issues... maxpeditions are awesome for many reasons, but the cross over strap makes carrying effortless.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Distinguished Member
    You might check into the new lead-free bullets.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    I chose not to carry on body while pregnant, and still not while nursing(4th son is 3 1/2 months) because of the unknown lead issues... maxpeditions are awesome for many reasons, but the cross over strap makes carrying effortless.
    I really don't think lead contamination is a problem as long as you are not shooting.

Lead has to get into your system somehow, like getting stabbed, or breathing in particles that have shattered and dispersed into the air upon shooting. Just carrying a lead cored bullet, that is jacketed in copper and carried in a gun is not going to cause any contamination issues and should be perfectly safe for Mom and baby.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    My wife and I are expecting our second in Sept. She has her own gun(Bersa Thunder 380), and Georgia Firearms License. Any thoughts/ideas on how,or if, to carry?
    Well, I've never been pregnant, but my wife had four daughters for me.
    A diaper bag is far safer than a purse to carry in. Very few people willingly mess with a "loaded" diaper bag - that is, if there is a baby or infant near and wadded/rolled-up "somethings" in plastic bags visibly in it. I guess even the rabble that want to steal (cr@p), don't want to steal (cr@p)!
    Just an observation from an old f@rt.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

unfortunately lima my wife has been having the same lower abdominal pain too. it got so bad last week that she had to take an ambulance ride to the hospital. you mentioned overalls earlier, that might be something to try. her bersa might fit nicelly in the front pouch. she is do the middle of September by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm 100 times more anxious to defend the both of us
    Lima, I've enjoyed reading many of your excellent well thought out posts. Not knocking this, but I think this might be taken the wrong way be some(it wasn't by me, just something I caught).

Looking forward to your pregnency experience article !

Senior Moderator
    Lima and JaBo

My wife went with wearing scrubs when she was pregant. She did/does not carry, but her tummy was so uncomfortable during the first trimester she only wore pants with a drawstring waist.

The second trimester she felt much better. Unfortuantly carrying of the body during the last trimester is probably the best option.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Well

My wife didn't know she was pregnant until she went into labor, so she carried as normal. Not much help there. She frequently takes the gun on and off, so she uses a Bagmaster bag just with her Tomcat in it, and a clip on IWB from Fist for her Glock. Off body carry is a big negative for her. She prefers not to leave the gun in a diaper bag and much prefers it on her. She want's to know exactly where it is and will accept no chance of setting it down or not having it in reach. Besides that, there's so much stuff to carry around, it would take a week to find a gun in all that mess. Bottles, diapers, gallon jugs of hand sanitizer... When she drives, she likes to take it off and stow it in her console and put it on before she gets out of the car. That's a driving comfort thing for her. And of course we now lock it up when at home in a quick access safe.

By the way, I now enter through the garage when I get back from the range (or if I had a fire at work) and drop my clothes in my own laundry basket separate from the other stuff. I wash in the garage sink and change shoes and clothes out there to reduce any lead issues, but I don't worry about the guns or the ammo in them.

Little Superhouse, shameless bragging by dad:

I would just say, that in all honesty, carrying while you are pregnant is totally a Non-Issue, plain and simple.

Of course she should keep carrying!

Does she value her life any less now that she's pregnant? I wouldn't think so.

Lead exposure? Non-issue!

Where to carry? Where she normally carries. If and when that becomes uncomfortable, find a different location or method that is comfortable.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links