Got pulled over by a rookie today

This is a discussion on Got pulled over by a rookie today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya know, you guy have to figure that we dont as LEO's dont know you from Adam. It doesnt matter what backround checks you have, ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over by a rookie today

Administrator
    Ya know, you guy have to figure that we dont as LEO's dont know you from Adam. It doesnt matter what backround checks you have, those only tell me what you have done in the past. I have no idea that its actually you until I'm almost done with the stop; and I dont know if you just went off and killed your family... whatever. I know LEO's that will disarm other LEO's if they stop them.

Until you understand whats at risk and how it all works, dont get yourself worked up about something you clearly dont understand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Professionalism does NOT equate with giving you your bullets back in a baggie
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Professionalism does NOT equate with giving you your bullets back in a baggie
    What do want them to give them back in? A sock?

I wouldnt do that unless it was a revolver, but it is a sure way to make darn certain that gun wont come into play.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the biggest problem I have with it is them taking it to run the serial number. If they want I will get out of the vehicle unarmed. I know none of my guns have a negative history because they were all purchased brand new from dealers. I really do not think any CHL carrier would be walking around with a stolen firearm. This way of thinking says you are guilty until proven innocent. That is wrong.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I think the biggest problem I have with it is them taking it to run the serial number. If they want I will get out of the vehicle unarmed. I know none of my guns have a negative history because they were all purchased brand new from dealers. I really do not think any CHL carrier would be walking around with a stolen firearm.
    You wold be suprised; a lot of stolen guns turn up in gun shops and are repurchased by an unwitting customer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What do want them to give them back in? A sock?

I wouldnt do that unless it was a revolver, but it is a sure way to make darn certain that gun wont come into play.
    THAT particular 'professional' put the bullets in a baggie and left the guy with mags in his belt, console, and in between the seats......she could have done a 'strip' search and 'rectal' exam for everyone's safety...

Special Note: Nice avatar...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    THAT particular 'professional' put the bullets in a baggie and left the guy with mags in his belt, console, and in between the seats......she could have done a 'strip' search and 'rectal' exam for everyone's safety...

Special Note: Nice avatar...
    I dont think he would mind, judging from the OP.

I agree its not the best thing to do, but what else are you going to do with a bunch of loose bullets? I would have left them in the mag myself, and just handed him back the Barney.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Ya know, you guy have to figure that we dont as LEO's dont know you from Adam. It doesnt matter what backround checks you have, those only tell me what you have done in the past. I have no idea that its actually you until I'm almost done with the stop; and I dont know if you just went off and killed your family... whatever. I know LEO's that will disarm other LEO's if they stop them.

Until you understand whats at risk and how it all works, dont get yourself worked up about something you clearly dont understand.
    Thanks SIXTO, That's the way that I understand it. AZHUSKER is right, in AZ. we don't have to inform them we have a firearm, I just feel that it's a good idea, that's my call...YMMV
    I was not in the least bit put out by her actions, and no it wouldn't have mattered if it was an ugly guy cop....... The point of my post was that she didn't grab her gun and start bouncing around in the middle of the street yelling orders, foaming at the mouth, she kept a cool head and took care of business with a minimum of fanfare. Geez guys, LEO want to go home after their shift is done just like me. If I feel that I have been wronged, I will bare my teeth, I just don't feel that that was the case in this instance.
    There is one sure way to not have this happen again, and that's to keep my big red sled at the posted speed limit!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

And you have to figure we as citizens, don't know the LEO from Adam. It doesn't matter what criminal background checks he has, those only tell me what he has done in the past. I have no idea that you are an actual LEO until I am almost done with the stop; and I don't know if you just came back from lunch and killed your family...

Sixto, it works both ways. In some states, mine in particular, we humble citizens are allowed to resist the police if they are or decide to do something wrong. For me to be disarmed at the get go is wrong.

I've passed the same background check your partner has, and if you go into my background checks from the military, I have probably exceeded by far most rookie LEO's qualifications.

I've only been pulled over once and that was years ago, and I have never been disarmed, but I do carry in a Smartcarry, and I believe a holstered pistol is a safe pistol.

I don't know a LEO from Adam, just the same as he doesn't know me. I don't know his/her firearms training, and I would have trouble handing an officer a loaded pistol. Do you think most officers would have a problem with me clearing the weapon prior to handing it to them?

edited to add: Wow, I just read about half the Disarming CCW carriers. - Page 6 - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com over at officers.com...I seriously hope most of the people on there are teens with nothing better to do.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; April 6th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I understand them wanting to disarm someone for their "safety"..I guess.But what if..worse case scenario...officer Friendly has a ND while unloading an unfamiliar gun?How much you want to bet you'd be the one getting charged.Ever watch COPS,when they find a gun and it's pretty obvious that the officer has no idea how to handle the thing?Not all cops are gun guys or gals.
    Plus the whole idea that you're telling them ahead of time,should indicate that you're not gonna start shooting.I have'nt been stopped yet while carrying,so I have no frame of reference on how I would act or how the officer would act.I know our local guys have come out to the house a couple of times when "neighbors" have called about me shooting in the yard and they were very friendly and basically said"hey,do what you want,I see you're shooting safely."but the staties or city cops may be a different story.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I still say that any stop by the police where they disarm a card carrying good guy is not a good stop or interaction with the police.

I have heard the whole "for officer safety" line and I don't buy it. If I have a permit, have gone to the trouble and expense to get the training and bring myself to the attention of law enforcement, given them my finger prints and background checks to get that permit, why is it necessary for the officer to feel unsafe around me? The odds are very good that I know my weapon better and handle it in a safer manner than the officer knows his/her or handles his/hers.
    Big x2.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I agree that she had no reason to disarm me, I however will not argue with LEO over something like that. I am a legally armed citizen, no more, no less.
    I have yet to be disarmed by LEO in Texas. They usually ask where it is (sometimes don't), & tell me to keep it there. If I were to be disarmed, I would politely & respectfully ask why (I know officer safety).

In Texas they tell you to have both hands on the wheel, dome light on, no sudden movements, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
    That is some scary reading there!!

The arrogance of some of the officers is unbelievable and inexcusable.
    Some of those guys are almost militant!

SIXTO,Your obviously not the majority as far as LEO goes! You know the law, your respectful, and have quite a bit of above and beyond training. Just MO from your posts. It is the most dangerous around, with little benefits.
    Alot of officers don't even know the law! I'm just shooting off at the keyboard, but I thought I heard somewhere that LEO are more likely to commit a felony then a ccw holder!
    There is alot of them with above the law attitudes! There just men, abuse of power does exist! My father taught me long ago the importance of controling the situation as LEO, but some do take it to far.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I still say that any stop by the police where they disarm a card carrying good guy is not a good stop or interaction with the police.

I have heard the whole "for officer safety" line and I don't buy it. If I have a permit, have gone to the trouble and expense to get the training and bring myself to the attention of law enforcement, given them my finger prints and background checks to get that permit, why is it necessary for the officer to feel unsafe around me? The odds are very good that I know my weapon better and handle it in a safer manner than the officer knows his/her or handles his/hers.
    i agree, i would have told her superior i didn't like the way she handled the stop.
    i hope all the police in town dont start doing the stops this way w/CHL holders, since the OP called up and said she did a good job.

we can only hope the experienced cop riding w/her told her not to do it that way again.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

LEO's are not comfortable with anyone having a sidearm except another LEO. For one thing they don't know the mental frame of the person they are dealing with or their safe gun handling.
    Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links