Pale yellow, or being aware you're not being aware???

This is a discussion on Pale yellow, or being aware you're not being aware??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just walked to the division office to get a $.25 cup of coffee and as I turned a corner, I looked down the hall ...

Thread: Pale yellow, or being aware you're not being aware???

Senior Moderator

Pale yellow, or being aware you're not being aware???

I just walked to the division office to get a $.25 cup of coffee and as I turned a corner, I looked down the hall to see what was there (habitual awareness response of course) and saw a number of students doing various things. After I passed the intersection, I tried to recall just one thing one student was doing and realized I couldn't.

I looked but I didn't really see. Oh if they had been running at me with books, calculators, and bookbags I would have picked up on it, but what if they were just sitting quitely loading their guns? Would I have picked up on that? I'm not sure and if I'm going to operate in condition yellow, it would seem I need to be a little more yellow than I am - wait, that didn't come out right.

Anyway, could it be that we talk yellow more than we actually live it? Maybe we're more aware that we should be more aware than we actually are aware?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    no one can be alert 100% of the time. I find myself scanning rooms and occasionally pick up on clues as to behavior, but then again I have been trained as a police officer too. Sometimes I catch myself in condition white, even out in public.

Administrator

You Would Be Shocked

At how much of the time the vast majority people do not really see ANYTHING...especially when going about their normal daily routine.

I am constantly amazed at how much my wife does NOT see when we are out in public. I have had a habit for years of trying to guess (in my head) why people are doing what they are doing. For example, I will notice someone in a car acting in a manner thatm,akes me think they are arguing with the other person or evben better I will notice a couple in the mall that appear to be having a fight based on the way one or the other is acting or ignoring the other person. Playing this 'game' in my head extends to all kinds of behavior and it has resulted in me being more aware of what is going on around me at most times.

Assistant Administrator
    Ron, I really do not think you are alone in this. Much as I try to maintain yellow there are lapses, during which I too might say I am at 50% yellow.

That however does not mean true white as we might come to usually describe such state. White is TOTAL lack of awareness of surroundings and events within ... it is insular existence - the ''cocoon'' state.

One ploy you could try which I try to use is - the ''running commentary'' to self. This was something encouraged in advanced driving schools - whereby you verbalize while driving every seen object and condition. Instead of noting that an intersection has a stationary car - you expand that to note color, maybe model and whether even the driver appears attentive - small details. Observation of road surface too - another thing and one which as a biker I do very religiously.

I try and apply this to everyday stuff - but sure as heck it does not stay successfully at max every minute - I doubt we can ever stop practicing to be honest.

On way to house from office - and vice versa - I scan always but try within that scan to identify details. Bird on fence - large or small? Color? etc. New flower? Sky characteristics? - just trivia for most part but within trivia can be sometimes included the important that really matters, because we are better tuned in.

May sound trivial but it is a way to keep senses switched on better and so looking becomes seeing, and listening becomes hearing - thru the ID of sights and sounds. This then can be tested by thinking back to what you did see/hear and very likely you'll manage to recall more details. They are required very short term so really we are in a constant ''refresh'' or update mode - tho it could on occasions be worth remembering further back if something repeats - like a stange parked vehicle seen in morning and again in evening or next day.

Sorry - I am rambling on but maybe you see what I am getting at.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Oops, sorry Chris, I dozed off there Just kidding! I follow what you're saying and it makes sense.

And, it just occurred to me that some of the yellow mode may have become subconscious and we actually scan and see more than we are conscious aware of. It may be that we become "conscious" when a threat has been recognized subconsciously.

Then again that may just be an excuse.

Assistant Administrator
    Actually Ron - thinking further - I reckon that a reasonably practiced ''yellow devotee'' could well think he/she was verging on white - simply because of familiarity with their being used to a yellow way of life. That of course does not preclude practice and attention to maintaining the state... it can I think be lost or degraded if we do not keep it up to speed.

When we as you say ''become conscious'' then probably that is simply our transition from normal yellow to orange.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tangle the type of work you do and numbers of people around I would say your doing very well to be alert. With real pressure or not you just never know when someone will stress out and do something crazy to harm themselves or others.
    I would say driving to work can be dangerious today with the numbers of people on the road.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...When we as you say ''become conscious'' then probably that is simply our transition from normal yellow to orange.
    Well, that too, but what I meant, I think, was that unless we see subconsciously something suspicious, info is not passed from the subconscious to the conscious for further evaluation. But because we can't recall how many or what, doesn't mean we really didn't see it. It could mean that of course, but it could also mean that it was a non-threat and the subconscious dismissed and went on.

Edited for a better example: have you ever driven through a traffic light and as you get down the road you realize you don't recall seeing that the light was green? We likely did, and were operating in a subconscious mode that not only saw, but responded appropriately to the light's color and even traffic conditions.

I have been in one of those "other worlds" normally considered white awareness and yet respond to a perceived threat as if in an automatic threat detection mode. ATDM, hmmm, ATDM, I like that, but you guys feel free to use it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    Tangle the type of work you do and numbers of people around I would say your doing very well to be alert. With real pressure or not you just never know when someone will stress out and do something crazy to harm themselves or others.
    I would say driving to work can be dangerious today with the numbers of people on the road.
    I second that!

Wow this is GREAT thread! So many precise observations, and I think I have to agree with the convergent view that while it's great in theory to be in "yellow" all the time, it's difficult to achieve in day to day reality.

But I would say that your view of yellow is sharpened if you've ever had to go into the next mode, ORANGE and sort that specific situation to a successful conclusion. When you draw a long shaky breath and wipe your brow and you say toyourself "well that was CLOSE" or something similar, you tend to appreciate yellow and take it a bit more seriously.

Going to condition RED, in my mind is COMBAT and not applicable as training takes over -- to resolve the event.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Wow this is GREAT thread! So many precise observations, and I think I have to agree with the convergent view that while it's great in theory to be in "yellow" all the time, it's difficult to achieve in day to day reality.

But I would say that your view of yellow is sharpened if you've ever had to go into the next mode, ORANGE and sort that specific situation to a successful conclusion. When you draw a long shaky breath and wipe your brow and you say toyourself "well that was CLOSE" or something similar, you tend to appreciate yellow and take it a bit more seriously.

Going to condition RED, in my mind is COMBAT and not applicable as training takes over -- to resolve the event.
    I concur!

Links