SC Senate Bill S1259 - Proposed Bullet Coding

This is a discussion on SC Senate Bill S1259 - Proposed Bullet Coding within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This will create a mess. The following is a portion of a new bill sponsored by Senator Dick Elliott, District 28 - Dillon, Horry, Marion ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Senate Bill S1259 - Proposed Bullet Coding

SC Senate Bill S1259 - Proposed Bullet Coding

This will create a mess. The following is a portion of a new bill sponsored by
    Senator Dick Elliott, District 28 - Dillon, Horry, Marion & Marlboro Countys
    Contact: 601 Gressette Bldg., Columbia, 29201 Phone (803) 212-6116

Each box of ammo would have it's own code on the back of the bullet.
    There would be a tax of a half cent PER ROUND to fund this debacle.
    After 2012 we would also have to throw away all ammo not coded.
    What about people who reload their own ammo? Is that going to be illegal?

Most of this senator's bills do not pass, but let us not take chances.
    I will be calling legislators in the morning.
    I have included a link at the bottom to read the entire bill.

04/02/08 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-3
    04/02/08 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary SJ-3

"Handgun and Assault Ammunition Coding"

Section 23-31-610. As used in this article, 'coded ammunition' means bullets carrying a unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.

Section 23-31-620. (A) All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in this State after January 1, 2010, must be coded by its manufacturer.

(B) No later than January 1, 2012, all noncoded ammunition owned by private citizens and retail outlets must be disposed.

Section 23-31-630. (A) The State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) shall establish and maintain an Ammunition Coding System Database (ACSD) which shall contain a list of all ammunition manufacturers and vendors who must register with SLED before January 1, 2010. Information contained in the ACSD may be released only to a law enforcement agency in connection with a criminal investigation.

(B) A registered ammunition manufacturer shall maintain on its premises for a period of seven years records of all sales, loans, and transfers of ammunition to, from, or within this State.

(C) A registered ammunition vendor shall maintain a record of the following information regarding the sale of ammunition on its premises for three years:

(1) the date of transaction;

(2) the name of the transferee or purchaser;

(3) the purchaser's driver's license number, or another government issued identification card number;

(4) the date of birth of the purchaser;

(5) the unique identifier of all ammunition transferred or purchased; and

(6) any other information that SLED may require.

Link to the full content of the bill:

South Carolina Senate Bill S-1259
    Last edited by graplazorn; April 7th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Add comment and question.
    XD45 Compact (carry), P345, P90 - CWP Holder

Senior Moderator
    This guy get PAID for being an idiot?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

while were at it lets do the same thing to condoms,what a moron,he apparently hasn't taken into account how many people reload ammo.I wanta make it a law that unless you absolutely have any kind of clue what you are talkig about you keep it outta yo mouf or get fired.Anybody that voted that guy into office should be ashamed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

you got this morons email address we need to let him know that he is a moron and must be getting campain donations from the brady bunch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you would like to email Senator Elliott I have included his contact information below.
    Even though it's upsetting, we should avoid any flaming, obsene, or other rude emails.
    If we use respectful emails to educate him, I think he will see the many problems with coding bullets;
    such as, the many reloaders, and the higher prices that would result from manufacturers having to stamp different
    codes for each box of bullets. What about swap meets, garage sales, and gun shows, where people trade?

How hard would it be for criminals use a bullet puller and scratch off the code or change it? A simple Dremel tool is all it takes to render useless the system some states want for stamping the casings. Any laws like this only makes life harder for us law abiding citizens, the criminals will not be affected.

I'm sure you guys and gals can think of alot more, look at all those requirements in the proposed law just to buy a box of bullets. I included some of the reasons above in my email to him, and the senator who represents my district. Thanks, graplazorn

Contact info for Senator Elliott:
    Senator Dick Elliott
    601 Gressette Bldg., Columbia, SC 29201
    Phone (803) 212-6116

Senator Elliott's E-Mail Address: DE@scsenate.org
    Last edited by graplazorn; April 7th, 2008 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error
    XD45 Compact (carry), P345, P90 - CWP Holder

A backdoor way towards a ban. Can't get rid of the guns,so tax the heck out of the ammo and problem(in their minds) solved! So then only the wealthy will have it. Sounds like some of the "shall issue," states,where only the elites "shall" get it.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

This bill has popped up all over the country, but failed to get anywhere in most states so far. Still need to watch it though. The way state lawmakers work, they will keep trying every year until they get their way. Our best defense is to vote these clowns out of office and let them know why they are becoming unemployed. Maybe their replacement will get the message.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I'll hate myself for asking, but just what the heck is "assault ammunition"?!

Idiots abound.

AEA
    Anyone who contacts him should tell him that commonly, only two types of people have "assault" weapons: Police and Criminals.

No need to get into Class 3 with this fool as he obviously cannot count past 2.

Sounds to me like a democrat who is cruising to get unelected.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

So what happens to those of us that order ammo from online sources?

"hello I want to order 10 boxes of Ranger SXT"

"What state do you live in?"

"South Carolina"

"click..... dial tone......."

This guy is a dipstick!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I've got an idea......

Perhaps we could just a tie string to each bullet. This way when a BG fires a gun, we could just follow the string back to the source!!

It's so simple(minded), I'm surprised no one has thought of it!!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Since there is no compensation for this ammo, it is an unconstitutional seizure of private property.

Yes, I know this has been done many times to use poor citizens, but maybe we need to draw a line in the sand!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I never thought of SC being like CA.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Does anyone remember Barrett and California? If I were an ammo maker and they passed this I would stop selling to any government entity in that state. How would their law enforcement get ammo to guard this clown? If more gun related companies stopped doing business with these questionable governments sooner or later they will get the message. There are more states that appreciate the business. The same applies for cities that choose to sue gun companies. How can they arm their police if the company refuses to ship them arms? Are they going to issue third world guns or infringe on (copy) current patents?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links