Virginia Tech blocks plans of gun-control group

This is a discussion on Virginia Tech blocks plans of gun-control group within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Brady Campaign won't get permit for event on April 16 Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 - 12:20 AM Updated: 12:51 AM By REX BOWMAN TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF ...

Thread: Virginia Tech blocks plans of gun-control group

Virginia Tech blocks plans of gun-control group

Brady Campaign won't get permit for event on April 16

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 - 12:20 AM Updated: 12:51 AM

By REX BOWMAN
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Virginia Tech said yesterday that it will not allow a national gun-control advocacy group to hold a campus demonstration on April 16 while the school commemorates last year's massacre.

Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said neither the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence nor the co-sponsor of the planned demonstration, ProtestEasyGuns.com, had applied for an assembly permit, and even if they had, Tech only issues permits to student groups.

Tech's position threw the Brady Campaign's plans into disarray yesterday: The noon demonstration at Tech was supposed to be the centerpiece of a nationwide series of events on April 16 in more than 70 cities and towns.

"I think we'll have to figure out what's going on," said Brady Campaign spokesman Doug Pennington. He added that students and friends of last year's shooting victims are among those who want to participate in the demonstration, "so, I'm sure where there's a will, there's a way without breaking any rules."

The planned demonstration at Tech called for individuals to lie down on the Drillfield in groups of 32 -- to recall the 32 victims of gunman Seung-Hui Cho -- for a few minutes. The brevity of the "lie-in" is meant to highlight how quickly a gun can be purchased in the United States. The Brady Campaign is calling on Congress to mandate background checks of buyers at gun shows.

Tech is marking the shootings on April 16 with a ceremony that begins in the morning and is expected to run past noon. The daylong memorial ends with an evening candlelight vigil.

Hincker said no student group will be given an assembly permit for the Drillfield at noon.

"We expect that the ceremony will likely cross the noon hour, and we will not be allowing other groups to interfere with the remembrance event."

Pennington said the Brady Campaign could have a new plan in place as early as today.

"It's just a matter of, if not here -- and it sounds like that's the case -- then where?"

Reader Feedback:

Posted April 08, 2008 @ 09:00 AM by Cliff Curlee Using a tragedy like this to further a political agenda is disgusting. These special interst groups care about noting but themselves. If others rights or feelings get trampled over, well, too bad

Posted April 08, 2008 @ 08:56 AM by Anonymous Great decision by VT. Don't let these people get the publicity they crave.

Posted April 08, 2008 @ 07:19 AM by Anonymous This group got shut down in Fairfax and now at VT. Fantastic. While I do support the right to free speech, it's despicable that these people are exploiting a massacre to push their anti-constitutional agenda.

Posted April 08, 2008 @ 03:17 AM by Virginia Gentleman How shameful that any group would seek to draw attention to itself at such a solemn memorial. Being thrown into 'disarray' by being told "No permit" by a university seeking to maintain control over its own property and ceremony speaks volumes about the Brady Campaign's arrogance and chronic sense of entitlement. Thank God VT has a better sense of decorum and backbone. Maybe some other institutions will now close the door to these gun-ban vultures.

Posted April 08, 2008 @ 03:04 AM by eagle1 Once again, we have an "any and all gun control at any cost, through any means" group exploiting a tragedy to push their agenda. All the gun show background checks in the world would not have stopped this event; the gun was not purchased at a gun show and the buyer underwent the federally mandated background checks.
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "It's just a matter of, if not here -- and it sounds like that's the case -- then where?"
    How about some of the gun-free utopias out there, like South East D.C., or the south side of Chicago? Shouldn't they want to celebrate the outstanding success they've had in ridding these places of criminals, guns, and violence? We'll even send all the cops home that day, so there will be NO guns in the area. I'll bet they'd feel REALLY safe then! What do you say, Brady Bunch? I'll pick the streets for your demonstration, and I promise they'll be in "gun free" places...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

So now it's a freagin' crime to purchase a gun, in their minds?

What is wrong with these people? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
    Half measures availed us nothing...

I'm glad there are so many people willing to think for me and throw my liberties away I feel so safe...
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

good... I agree, let them go have a rally in SE DC, with no cops in the area...see how safe they feel with all those law abiding thugs in the area who obviously don't have guns because it's illegal /sarcasm...

I agree wit what the poster (eagle1) said about how It's kind of sick how they want to exploit this tragedy for there own agenda. I couldn't agree more with a candlelight vigil for the victims but it is no place for political agendas.

The fact that people see them for the slimeballs they really are is priceless,It is totally insensitive for a group to try to further thei agenda by trying to tie into a day of morning for the victims of one idiots agenda,cho didn't care about the victims he shot anymore than the brady campaign,the sad thing is the bradys are still trying to use them to bring attention to themselves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Post Removed. Too angry for words.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

what the hell is wrong with those brady idiots? SCCC (students for concealed carry on campus) has the decency and common sense to wait until the week after for their empty holster protest (not a rally, members just wear an empty holster and SCCC t-shirt around campus). i can't believe the brady morons have the nerve to stand up one year after that tragedy and scream "i told you so!".

VIP Member
    Actually I'm glad to see that they tried. By showing the shallow crassness that they possess, they turn more people away from their agenda than they draw to it.
    On another note, maybe more people will look at the facts and realize that Cho purchased the weapons he used from a gun store, not from a private citizen at a gunshow. Of course the antigun groups don't worry about little things like facts!

Poor Sarah Brady!

No group with an agenda has had such a lack of success in this country, ever.

The AWB expired. Thirty-odd states went to shall issue for CCW. Now they can't even organize an "event."

Wow, It sucks to be them.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Poor Sarah Brady!

No group with an agenda has had such a lack of success in this country, ever.

The AWB expired. Thirty-odd states went to shall issue for CCW. Now they can't even organize an "event."

Wow, It sucks to be them.

Ken

Yes it does suck to be them and we're all better off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thepittman View Post
    I'm glad there are so many people willing to think for me and throw my liberties away I feel so safe...
    I'm glad there are so many people willing to be the prey for the bad guys. Hopefully they will notice these easy targets and leave me alone.

Links