My Permit Saga...

This is a discussion on My Permit Saga... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Texas, it took 4 months (instead of 6 weeks) for my bride to get her CHL for exactly the same reason...fingerprints. It would seem ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Permit Saga...

In Texas, it took 4 months (instead of 6 weeks) for my bride to get her CHL for exactly the same reason...fingerprints. It would seem the folks that do the fingerprinting in this world might need to tighten up a bit on quality. How hard can it be to take finger prints?
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    I need to vent. Anyone else have trouble actually getting their permit? So far, here is my experience.

1. Pay for a class in which I learn next to nothing and fire 5 whole rounds.
    2. Pay to get a horrible passport photo taken.
    3. Fill out pages of application and pay for the privilege of filing it.
    4. Pay to get my fingerprints taken electronically at the Sheriff's office. But only on Tuesday or Thursday between 8 am and noon. Apparently the rest of the permit desiring world is unemployed. These fingerprints are then not only printed out on a fingerprint card, but also transmitted electronically to the Permit Office.
    5. Wait 5 weeks.
    6. Get excited when a manilla envelope with a green border finally arrives in the mail.
    7. Curse when it turns out to be a letter stating that the FBI says the fingerprints were illegible and I need to submit another set.
    8. Call the Sheriff's fingerprint office, only to find out that they no longer do electronic fingerprints for permit applications. In a world where everyone else is going digital, they're moving backwards.
    9. Curse some more.
    So, were you expecting a tactical handgun class? Sliding down the ropes and practicing hostage scenarios while shooting thousands of rounds? You shot 5 rounds, you were deemed to be safe handling a firearm, you passed the class and got your certificate, count your blessings. And unless your instructor was complete moron (which there are some out there) you should know the basics of carrying a weapon in the State of Florida that incidentally are in a booklet with your application package. And if the guy was incompetent, there is always Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. This book will cover any other holes you feel you need to cover and that you should have anyway if you carry a gun and live in Florida.
    Your fingerprints sucked according to the FBI? Get a new set... hell get 2 sets taken from different Sheriff Offices and send them back. At least your application was not rejected altogether by a mistake made in the process. Your pic is awful? I look like an artic Zombie on my freshly renewed CCW and it is so bad I carry the expired permit with me plus the DL.

The system sucks altogether? You shouldn't need a permit to carry? Yes on both counts but while we legally try to slowly change things (Like getting SB 1130) signed into law by Gov. Charlie Christ ASAP) we deal with it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Wow, Virginia is so much easier. Including the class I had to take, the time for me to have my permit in hand was sixteen days. but a permit can be gotten quickly as long as everything is in line. It will get there eventually.
    I agree. My only problem in Va was that I decided to get my permit over Christmas. I went for the prints on dec 19, they told me 5-6 weeks (which I was over) everyone else I know was told 8-10 weeks. Counting all the "off" days the government gets during this period, I actually had to wait about 7 weeks. But I can't complain. I was grinning ear to ear when I opened that letter.

VIP Member

Mine's no big deal

Don't want to make a big thing about what "might" happen.

I was mostly replying because of the irony/the timing of agentmel's post/rant being the first thing I see when I "Log In" after an all-day fingerprint runaround of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    thats strange, how can fingerprints fade? especially when done digitally, were you a brick layer?
    The fading was the ridge definition on my finger tips being worn down, not the ink from the printer printout fading.

No I was not a brick layer -- albeit I do wood working and the like, as a retired old fart. And the tips are kind of smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post
    My wife's fingerprints were not readable, so she had to do them again. Sheriff's people were very cooperative.
    The Sheriff's people here in my county are not the problem (save the lady who knew how to use the machine being out sick. I have my in-State. In fact my County is one of the Virginia Counties/Cities that do not require fingerprinting -- it's a local option here in Virginia for initial applications and not required on renewals.

What I am envisioning (and I hope I'm wrong) is that Utah sends them to the FBI, FBI rejects them, Utah says we didn't print you, find someone who knows what they are doing and sent a good set, Virginia LEOs say that's the best anyone can do, and around and around etc we go.

Neither Utah nor FBI have any stake in solving my well-worn finger smudges.

Wish me luck.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

agentmel, for some fun after you get your permit, apply for a New Hampshire non-resident permit. $20 and the application form dropped in the mail and within two weeks the permit will arrive. You'll enjoy the experience.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I need to vent. Anyone else have trouble actually getting their permit? So far, here is my experience.

1. Pay for a class in which I learn next to nothing and fire 5 whole rounds.
    2. Pay to get a horrible passport photo taken.
    3. Fill out pages of application and pay for the privilege of filing it.
    4. Pay to get my fingerprints taken electronically at the Sheriff's office. But only on Tuesday or Thursday between 8 am and noon. Apparently the rest of the permit desiring world is unemployed. These fingerprints are then not only printed out on a fingerprint card, but also transmitted electronically to the Permit Office.
    5. Wait 5 weeks.
    6. Get excited when a manilla envelope with a green border finally arrives in the mail.
    7. Curse when it turns out to be a letter stating that the FBI says the fingerprints were illegible and I need to submit another set.
    8. Call the Sheriff's fingerprint office, only to find out that they no longer do electronic fingerprints for permit applications. In a world where everyone else is going digital, they're moving backwards.
    9. Curse some more.

So, who knows how long it will actually take to get this resolved. I'm so glad I have to request permission to exercise my natural right to self-defense and then pay for the privilege. Bunch of self-important, waste-of-skin bureaucrats...

Mel
    As much as it hurts me to say this but I do not feel sorry for you. I filed my application with my County Sheriff LAST JUNE (2007) and I still have not received my approval notice. It typically takes 12-14 months in my county to get "approved" before being able to take the class, get printed, and pay the fees. This is because the Sheriff has doesn't allocate either manpower or budget for the CCW division. He does issue but it takes (lliterally) forever to get him to review the apps and then proceed.

So a few weeks wait isn't anything I can get worked up about. Sorry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I filed my application with my County Sheriff LAST JUNE (2007) and I still have not received my approval notice.
    Wow!

Glad Virginia has a time limit. As of July 1st, 2004, if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, "the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification."

Never heard of taking more than the additional 90 days.

BTW -- I feel bad for the lot of you, but yours takes the cake.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I walked into my local County Sheriffs office, got my prints electronically done in less than 20 minutes, cute girl who did the prints, got my print card and got the heck out of there. Already had my application filled out, copy of my DD214 in there, got a passport photo, got my application notarized, bought a $75 postal money order, slid it in the envelope and mailed it off ona Friday.

Its been a month tomorrow (Friday April 11th) and my application status still isnt showing up on the Florida Dept. of Licensing site.

I called them today, stayed on hold 20 minutes, then got the lady on the phone and asked if they could tell me if they have even recieved my application packet.

She said if its not on the website list, then she cant tell me anything. So I asked what the current wait time is for permit issue and she said its about 60 days

VIP Member

More than mildly irritated with them

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9 View Post
    In Texas, it took 4 months (instead of 6 weeks) for my bride to get her CHL for exactly the same reason...fingerprints. It would seem the folks that do the fingerprinting in this world might need to tighten up a bit on quality. How hard can it be to take finger prints?
    Right now, I'm more than mildly irritated with the issuing paper pushers here in Texas. They are required to issue in 45 days. Why on earth my renewal process has dragged out since October, like a water torture, a little and a little and a little, is beyond me.

I have that sinking feeling right now, that notwithstanding the law, notwithstanding a running start with on-line form filling, notwithstanding doing what they have required, it is going to take at least more than a few more days.

Oh well, this is the norm for customer service these days. I retired at the end of March, and now I am told I will have to wait at least 6-8 weeks before I will see a pension check. Why should I expect better service from DPS? That's life these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Wow!

Glad Virginia has a time limit. As of July 1st, 2004, if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, "the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification."

Never heard of taking more than the additional 90 days.

BTW -- I feel bad for the lot of you, but yours takes the cake.
    We have a time limit here in California. Unfortunately that limit is 90 days AFTER the background check is completed. So, as long as the Sheriff doesn't DO the background check there is no time limit on how long they take to process the app.

It's just one more way that that the anti-gun PTB use to avoid issuing permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    We have a time limit here in California. Unfortunately that limit is 90 days AFTER the background check is completed. So, as long as the Sheriff doesn't DO the background check there is no time limit on how long they take to process the app.

It's just one more way that that the anti-gun PTB use to avoid issuing permits.

What County in California is dragging their feet with you?
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Ventura County. The Sheriff DOES issue so no one wants to rock the boat and challenge his issuance policy. So we wait and wait and wait and... until he gets around to us.

He has 2 VOLUNTEER LEO who are only allowed to work part time to process the applications and renewals. No budget or manpower allocation. He has also been chastized by the courts in the past for failing to exercise his discretion and issue or deny. He still just thumbs his nose at everyone and sits on his hands doing nothing. Meanwhile people who have shown a real need for urgent protection wait for "permission" to protect themselves.

Mel,
    If your in the MIA area let me know. I have a few friends that work the CSI unit and could do your prints on paper pretty quick. Most officers that take prints are not actaully trained and that is why there is so many smeared prints that get returned.

Geez...I never knew Florida was so screwed up.

The states I have had permits from, Alabama and Tennessee have been much better at it than that. Alabama was amazingly simple and Tennessee was not too bad, just took longer than it should have.

Alabama took 20 minutes. No joking at all. 20 minutes from the time I walked in to start the process to the time I walked out with my permit in my hand. And it cost $20.

Tennessee cost a bit more, a total of about $200, an 8 hour class, 50 rounds fired, and prints taken electronically, then wait 45 days for the permit to arrive by mail.

All in all, not too terrible.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member

Question Progress Report?

So, who knows how long it will actually take to get this resolved. I'm so glad I have to request permission to exercise my natural right to self-defense and then pay for the privilege.
    Mel

Any progress??

dave
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links