My Permit Saga...

This is a discussion on My Permit Saga... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to vent. Anyone else have trouble actually getting their permit? So far, here is my experience. 1. Pay for a class in which ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Permit Saga...

My Permit Saga...

I need to vent. Anyone else have trouble actually getting their permit? So far, here is my experience.

1. Pay for a class in which I learn next to nothing and fire 5 whole rounds.
    2. Pay to get a horrible passport photo taken.
    3. Fill out pages of application and pay for the privilege of filing it.
    4. Pay to get my fingerprints taken electronically at the Sheriff's office. But only on Tuesday or Thursday between 8 am and noon. Apparently the rest of the permit desiring world is unemployed. These fingerprints are then not only printed out on a fingerprint card, but also transmitted electronically to the Permit Office.
    5. Wait 5 weeks.
    6. Get excited when a manilla envelope with a green border finally arrives in the mail.
    7. Curse when it turns out to be a letter stating that the FBI says the fingerprints were illegible and I need to submit another set.
    8. Call the Sheriff's fingerprint office, only to find out that they no longer do electronic fingerprints for permit applications. In a world where everyone else is going digital, they're moving backwards.
    9. Curse some more.

So, who knows how long it will actually take to get this resolved. I'm so glad I have to request permission to exercise my natural right to self-defense and then pay for the privilege. Bunch of self-important, waste-of-skin bureaucrats...

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    2. Pay to get a horrible passport photo taken.
    My concealed carry picture in the best picture of any on my miriad of photo ID's. Go figure.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I'm of the opinion of Ted Nugent, the second ammendment is my concealed carry permit. I am in the market for a handgun, and you have to get a PERMIT to purchase a handgun. THIS IS AMERICA PEOPLE! Since when do I have to get a permit. This is ridiculous. I feel your pain, and hope it works out.

Don't feel so bad.... here in NY it takes at LEAST 4 months, sometimes longer, and it fully contingent on the mood of a local county judge. Grin and bear it, and be happy when it arrives!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Don't feel so bad.... here in NY it takes at LEAST 4 months, sometimes longer, and it fully contingent on the mood of a local county judge. Grin and bear it, and be happy when it arrives!
    Don't feel bad? Now I just feel bad for both of us!

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast

I included my DD214, it took a little under a month, mail box to mail box. I have heard a lot of the finger prints get sent back.

If every line isn't completely visible, either attatch a note saying why, i.e. scar, or have them retake the fingerprints. I have a scar on my left index that shows up like a blank line on the fingerprint card and all I had to do was attach a yellow sticky that said "horizontal scar (L) index finger".

From what I hear, for some reason a lot of people retake their prints and resend them with the same problems as the first ones.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I'm of the opinion of Ted Nugent, the second ammendment is my concealed carry permit.
    The 2nd could always be repealed or "re-interpreted." I'm of the opinion that I have a natural, God-given right to defend myself. No mere piece of paper can grant or repeal that.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast

I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems... it will be worth it when you get it though.

In my area, they are very liberal. Lucky for me the State is "shall issue". So my saga was a little different. Appointments for fingerprints were a minimum of two weeks out, in my city they were 16 weeks out. After I drove over to county for my appointment (3 weeks), I completed the paperwork. Five days before the 30 day shall issue limit was up, I got my permit in the mail. It was dated for the 30th day... to avoid putting myself (potentially) in a legal bind I had to hold on to my permit but not carry for another five days. They did everything they could to make sure they followed the letter of the law.

Luckily for me, they know how to use the computer finger print scanners here.

Again... it'll be worth the wait! I know it's ridiculous right now.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That really sucks. I didn't think it would be that hard in Florida, they are supposed to be getting better.

I won't tell you my experience buying handguns, etc. I don't want you to curse more than you already have.

Wow, Virginia is so much easier. Including the class I had to take, the time for me to have my permit in hand was sixteen days. Taxes are terrible in Virginia, but a permit can be gotten quickly as long as everything is in line. It will get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Yep....I used to live in NY, and never followed through with my permit application for one reason or another.....money, time, etc.....

I recently moved to NH, and I filed for my LTC.....picked it up in a week.No photo, no fingerprints. And we don't need a permit to buy a handgun like NY requires.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Don't feel bad? Now I just feel bad for both of us!
    Don't feel bad for me... I already have mine! Since there's nothing you can do but follow the rules and play the administrative game, you may as well feel good and think about its arrival!

Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I recently moved to NH, and I filed for my LTC.....picked it up in a week.No photo, no fingerprints. And we don't need a permit to buy a handgun like NY requires.

Welcome to NH. Live, Freeze or Die
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Recently got mine in Atlanta.........no classes.....no photo.......no problems. Took about 3 weeks.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

VIP Member
    It may be a pain, but I'd rather jump through the stupid hoops than go back to the days when a person carrying a concealed weapon was either a LEO or committing a crime.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links