More good news - Florida guns at work bill (merged)

This is a discussion on More good news - Florida guns at work bill (merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SWEET!!!! Good for FL res....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More good news - Florida guns at work bill (merged)

SWEET!!!! Good for FL res.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Not to worry, he'll sign it.
    I hope you're right but believe you are overly confident. The FL chamber of commerce has been hammering his office against this for several weeks already.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

I just bought my first handgun and have already sent off my ccw permit. This would be welcome news for me. Right now my employer does not allow any weapons on company property. I have go home from work to get my weapon before I can go to the range.

Will this bill allow Federal Employees to leave their firearms in their vehicles on Federal property in FL.? I'm guessing not..
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Email to the Governor sent. IIRC if the bill is signed soon, it becomes sometime in July.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Email sent.

Crist has not yet said what he would do. He refused to commit before the bill was actually signed. (Common sense)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

He didn't comment on his plans, but I believe he did make it a point to state that he supports the 2nd Amendment.

-JT

Crist: "good chance" of getting his signature

Gov. Charlie Crist said after the vote that the bill has a good chance of getting his signature.

"I'm probably going to sign it," Gov. Charlie Crist said. "The Second Amendment is very important. I understand there are competing interests. There always are in this process, but people being protected is most important to me."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

BAC
    Awesome news. Now the division of licensing just needs to mail me mine.

-B

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I hope this passes *crosses fingers*.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Take-guns-to-work law passed in Fla. - Life - MSNBC.com
    Also on MSNBC with a poll. This poll under "Live Vote" about 1/4 of the way down the page is a little closer with 61% for and 39% against. GO VOTE!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Charlie Christ has gone on record stating he will sign the bill, local6 and wesh had coverage.

The wierd thing is that this bill has nothing to do with guns at work. The guns are not at work, they are in the parking lot. This law really only does two things: 1 - permits me to complain to the state or sue if an employer fires me for having a gun in my vehicle on company property; and 2- prevents my employer from being sued for failing to prevent me from having a gun in my vehicle on company property. caveat: IANAL!

The real value to me is that (after the effective date if Gov Crist signs it into law) I can carry when stopping for gas or groceries on the way to and from work.

According to the Florida Statutes, IMHO, I think we already had that right guaranteed to us by the following Statutes......

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS View Entire Chapter

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.--The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
    TampaSsgt .........
    Certified Sheepdog

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSsgt View Post
    According to the Florida Statutes, IMHO, I think we already had that right guaranteed to us by the following Statutes......
    As I understand it, it is legal to carry a weapon in your car as long as it is concealed and securely encased. However, while it may be legal to do so, a business may prohibit employees from keeping a weapon in their private vehicle on company property. So, while it would be legal to have that weapon properly stored in the car, it would be against company policy to do so, and you could then be terminated.

This new law would prohibit employers and business owners (with some exceptions) from having such a policy, and also prohibit any discriminatory and disciplinary action by same to concealed weapon license holders. So, with the law in place, it would be legal to properly store your weapon in your private vehicle on company property, and ILLEGAL for the company to have a policy against it, if you have your CCW.

-JT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links