Defensive Carry banner

More good news - Florida guns at work bill (merged)

4K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
COOL!!!
:congrats:
Now may primitive and backward states (Ohio) learn from this (please refrain from hysterical laughter :nono: at the state actually learning something) and pass similar legislation!

#3 ·
This is GREAT news...I sent many emails urging support for this bill...:congrats::congrats::congrats:

#7 ·
What is the Gov Christ's position? Is he behind it too? Great new for ya'll!

There is a poll on that link. We all need to hit it!

#12 ·
FL Resident Call to Action

Fellow FL residents, this morning the Florida Senate PASSED HB-503 Guns-locked-in-cars-in parking-lots by a vote of 26-13 and sent it to the Governor.

HB-503 by Rep. Greg Evers (R-Milton) & Sen. Durell Peaden (R-Crestview) protects your right to keep a firearm locked, out of sight, in your private vehicles for lawful purposes in parking lots.

Please send emails to the governor asking him to sign this important piece of legislation. I've copy/pasted my email as a model:

To: Charlie.Crist@myflorida.com, Jeff.Kottkamp@myflorida.com
Bcc: Al Hammond <ahammond@nrahq.org>, "Donna Hammond [HDS] (E-mail)" <donna.hammond@hdsupply.com>
Dear Governor Crist:

I am writing as a private citizen of Gainesville, FL and a constituent of yours. Please sign HB-, the Guns locked up in your car bill.

No where in either the US Constitution or the Florida Constitution are businesses given right they claim they have to control everything on their property. No such right exists. And no where are businesses authorized to usurp constitutional rights of individuals.

Nor do businesses have the right to search private vehicles of customers or employees. Or to ban the lawful possession of firearms or any other legal property in a private vehicle simply because the vehicle is parked in a parking lot provided for customers, guests and employees.

Do law-abiding people have the right to carry and store firearms in their personal private vehicles for self-defense and other lawful purposes and keep those firearms locked in their vehicles in parking lots? The answer is YES.

The U.S. and the Florida Constitutions both give citizens the right to keep and bear arms and the right of self-defense. Further, F.S. 790.25 (5) specifically authorizes the carrying of firearms in private vehicles for lawful purposes.

Then, do business owners have a right to preempt constitutional and statutory rights? The answer is No. But they are doing it anyhow and this bill stops it.

Constitutional and statutory rights do not stop when a law-abiding person drives into a parking lot. Thank you for protecting the constitutional rights of the citizens of our fine state.

Respectfully submitted,
Michael Higgins

#13 ·
Not to worry, he'll sign it. :danceban:

#17 ·
I hope you're right but believe you are overly confident. The FL chamber of commerce has been hammering his office against this for several weeks already.

#18 ·
I just bought my first handgun and have already sent off my ccw permit. This would be welcome news for me. Right now my employer does not allow any weapons on company property. I have go home from work to get my weapon before I can go to the range.

#19 ·
Will this bill allow Federal Employees to leave their firearms in their vehicles on Federal property in FL.? I'm guessing not..

#20 ·
Email to the Governor sent. IIRC if the bill is signed soon, it becomes sometime in July.

#21 ·
Email sent.

Crist has not yet said what he would do. He refused to commit before the bill was actually signed. (Common sense)

#23 ·
Crist: "good chance" of getting his signature

Gov. Charlie Crist said after the vote that the bill has a good chance of getting his signature.

"I'm probably going to sign it," Gov. Charlie Crist said. "The Second Amendment is very important. I understand there are competing interests. There always are in this process, but people being protected is most important to me."
:danceban::danceban::danceban::danceban:

#24 ·
Awesome news. Now the division of licensing just needs to mail me mine. :rolleyes:

-B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.