Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses - Page 2

Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses

This is a discussion on Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Response posted....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Response posted.


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    That is one of the scariest arguments I have ever heard.

    He admits that he had not statistics, he admits that the other side presents a better argument, and he admits that they are probably right; but then he falls back on his emotion.

    He doesn't feel like it's a good idea. That's the scariest part. It's impossible to debate, it's impossible to argue, and it's impossible to change his mind because no matter what you say, he still feels a certain way.

    If a position is reached, not by logic, but by emotion; that position cannot be changed by using logic.

    Humanity has known that simple fact for a long time. It's scary that the anti's are starting to use it as an argument FOR their cause.

    The gall of somebody to say, "I don't have any facts to back up what I have to say, but this is how I feel therefore we should make laws to make me feel better."...well, it's easy to see where society is heading when people like this are 'our future.'

    I remember when "The Children are our Future" was said with hope and confidence. It now scares me.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  3. #18
    Member Array STITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    138
    Ok so I am a college student and as much as I would like the oppertunity to carry on campus. I wouldnt want it to. If you are going to have college kids livin in a dorm or even anywhere, some will try to get there hands on anything just to steal and if you are in a dorm the oppertunity will be greater for stolen property. From what I have noticed at my University(not saying all but sometimes at mine) on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night full of drinking, some people get a little aggressive and just start figthts. If we are albe to carry, dont you think that things could escalate even worse then they already are? I mean it is one thing to fight, but bring a gun into the situation, it is a totally different game then.

  4. #19
    Member Array shavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    27
    Stitch,
    Not everyone would want to carry &, by your post you fit there. No offense meant, I'm just stating it's not for everyone in all circumstances. The ones that do, I would hope would be sober (a bit of pun here ) enough to take proper storage into consideration as well as general gun safety. In my younger days, I'd most likely fit in that group as well primarily due to all the extracurricular activities going on. Drinking age then was 18 & students too advantage...go figure.

  5. #20
    Member Array STITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by shavis View Post
    Stitch,
    Not everyone would want to carry &, by your post you fit there. No offense meant, I'm just stating it's not for everyone in all circumstances. The ones that do, I would hope would be sober (a bit of pun here ) enough to take proper storage into consideration as well as general gun safety. In my younger days, I'd most likely fit in that group as well primarily due to all the extracurricular activities going on. Drinking age then was 18 & students too advantage...go figure.
    O I totally agree! All I am saying is that I know some students would try to abuse the issue and could wide up in a bad situation. But I totally agree with what you are sayin.

  6. #21
    Member
    Array Cakewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    If a position is reached, not by logic, but by emotion; that position cannot be changed by using logic.
    And that, my friends, is the reason why I always feel like we're preaching to the choir, because no matter how much common sense you try to ram into someone, if they feel a certain way, then all the common sense in the world won't do any good.

    Pro 2A groups need a new tactic, one that doesn't involve using sound logic and facts, because that obviously doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Pro 2A groups need a new tactic, one that doesn't involve using sound logic and facts, because that obviously doesn't work.

    Any ideas?
    I feel safer with a gun. I know that guns are dangerous, but it's reassuring. I know people kill other people with guns all the time, but I just feel better having the ability to defend myself. Don't try to argue with me, because I'm not talking about statistics or the fact that bad people use guns and if there weren't any guns than bad people couldn't use them. I just feel better having a gun. I also feel that even if we make guns illegal that bad people will still get guns so I want to have a gun, too. Just because.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by STITCH View Post
    Ok so I am a college student and as much as I would like the oppertunity to carry on campus. I wouldnt want it to. If you are going to have college kids livin in a dorm or even anywhere, some will try to get there hands on anything just to steal and if you are in a dorm the oppertunity will be greater for stolen property. From what I have noticed at my University(not saying all but sometimes at mine) on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night full of drinking, some people get a little aggressive and just start figthts. If we are albe to carry, dont you think that things could escalate even worse then they already are? I mean it is one thing to fight, but bring a gun into the situation, it is a totally different game then.
    I'm a college student also. I can sympathize with what you're talking about. But.. remember that we are talking about people who are able to get a concealed weapons permit and purchase a handgun - typically those over 21. Most students who are that age do not live in dorms - at least from my understanding (every college is different). In respect to your comments about drinking... I would say that brining a firearm into a 'frat party' or an atmosphere with a lot of drunk people is just a flat-out bad idea. If someone is concerned enough about going that they feel they need to carry, then maybe not attending is the wisest choice? Its important to keep in mind that the absolute best way to win a gunfight is to not ever show up for it.

    The question is not whether we should allow students to keep guns in dorms. That is a different animal to tackle altogether. The question is whether CWP-eligable adults should be allowed to carry a firearm on campus and to class... Carrying and owning a firearm speaks to a person's sense of responsibility for a number of reasons. Those who choose to carry to class and go through the trouble to do it are not likely to be the same ones who go out and get wasted a couple nights out of the week. Will there be those that do? You bet. More than the number of those same students who get behind the wheel after a night of drinking? Not a chance in hades.

    There's a lot more that goes into it as well. In my opinion this country needs to see a shift in how it raises its youth and the values it instills. But... that's just my humble opinion and for another thread/forum.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    If a position is reached, not by logic, but by emotion; that position cannot be changed by using logic.
    It is changed beneath an iron-shod heel. Whining fools and ignorant children may accept the gentle reproof of the informed, or they will be subjugated when they have assumed a role of power for which they are completely inadequate.

    All of South America, and most of the rest of the world would love to have our technology and comforts- they will soon have the power to take it if we allow incompetent political action.

  10. #25
    Member Array STITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    138
    SixBravo

    O I hear what you are sayin. I guess all I was lookin at was the (-) side. I see where you are comin from tho and I agree. I think all I did was look at it as if anyone could have one. I guess since I am of age now I dont see the age limit to which you can buy a handgun. Since I dont have to worry about it anymore! opps. But no I hear where you are comin from all the way!

  11. #26
    Member Array CharlieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I just went back and read the article again and discovered this little gem:

    Quote:
    Seriously though, a government's primary function is to protect.

    Really? I was under the impression the government existed at the will and behest of the American people... to serve them. Since when did it become the government's responsibility to CYA?
    Yep, that one statement is the key to the way this person thinks. They take no responsibility for their own protection, and expect an all-mighty, caring government to take care of them. There is a word for such folks - victims. Sad part is - they are often the victims of the same government they expected would protect them.

  12. #27
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    its's a pretty poorly thought out and argued article.

    +1 for the irrational fear of planes comment. Statistics show how safe flying is yet "common sense" tells us that it is dangerous... people are willing to drive home from a bar after a few drinks because their "common sense" tells them they feel fine. Irrational.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  13. #28
    Member Array cl00bie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Broome County, New York (USA)
    Posts
    426
    You know what I think is curious? There were 824 gun deaths in 1999, and fully two out of three were drug related killings or suicide. In 1999 41,717 people were killed in fatal car crashes.

    This means you're 50 times more likely (if you're a drug dealer, or contemplating suicide) to be killed in a fatal car crash than to be killed by a gun (and that's all gun deaths, not just handgun deaths). That number goes up to 150 times more likely if you aren't a drug dealer or a potential suicide.

    But people think nothing of watching their neighbor get into their car and drive off. The same people would freak if they saw them carrying a gun.

    I'm more afraid of the little blue-haired old lady in a Lincoln Town Car than I am of a permit holder carrying a gun.

    I generally consider that my fellow man (or woman) is responsible. Especially if he paid $150, got three letters of recommendation, had his prints placed on file with the FBI, got a judge to sign off on it and waited months for the privilege of carrying concealed.

    BTW, I'll be taking my NRA "Personal Protection in the Home" class in a couple of months.
    -Tony

    "Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

  14. #29
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool

    I can't remember ever seeing an anti-gun article that had so many holes in it as that one.

    I just showed my European wife a pair of sizzers. Asked her if she was afraid of them. She said no.
    I showed her a steak knife and she said no.
    I put my HK P7 in front of her and asked her if she was afraid of it. She said "no because it won't hurt me, but a person holding it could".

    Then he puts in the article; "We don't let drugs on campus. Why? Because they are dangerous and can easily be abused". Duh, are you kidding....

    Just infuriates me. I never cease to be amazed by the level of ignorance of liberal anti-gunners.
    How ignorant can liberals be? There is just no limit to that question.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

    "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

    GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

  15. #30
    Sponsor
    Array luvmy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Youngstown, OH
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard
    That is one of the scariest arguments I have ever heard.


    He doesn't feel like it's a good idea. That's the scariest part. It's impossible to debate, it's impossible to argue, and it's impossible to change his mind because no matter what you say, he still feels a certain way.

    If a position is reached, not by logic, but by emotion; that position cannot be changed by using logic.

    Humanity has known that simple fact for a long time. It's scary that the anti's are starting to use it as an argument FOR their cause.
    What's even scarrier is that these kinds of people won't even hesitate at manipulaing data and outright lieing to further their ultimate goal of denying you and I our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS! Then they quote the same Bill of Rights as to their right to free speech.
    Sadly, the media and the government, to a large extent, seem to think that it is ok to do so.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Media poll: Should guns be allowed on college campuses in Florida?
    By paramedic70002 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 9th, 2011, 02:24 PM
  2. LTE: Guns don't belong on campuses
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
  3. C-span about to show discussion of guns on college campuses
    By lws380 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
  4. Guns On College Campuses: San Diego County
    By rlkraatz in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
  5. Bead Blasting 1911 Slide
    By Bud White in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: June 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM