Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses

This is a discussion on Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SCCC has shown statistically how unlikely it is for a sane person to just snap and use his or her handgun to mow down ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses

The SCCC has shown statistically how unlikely it is for a sane person to just snap and use his or her handgun to mow down classmates.

It has also proven that the chances of a gun being stolen from a dormitory are slim.

They have easily shown that an armed student in a Virginia Tech-style scenario would only help the situation and that stressed or inebriated college students would not misuse their firearms.

It all seems so logical and nice when they state their case. But why do I still feel uneasy about a gun being near me while I'm learning business ethics in class?

I'll tell you why: because it is common sense to fear guns.
    Blasting away the idea of guns on campuses - Opinion
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

So if one does not know of the presence of a gun said person would not feel uneasy. Concealed means just that. Right?

I guess I just don't understand the fear of any inanimate object......

On the whole, the gun is probably one of the most harmful devices ever invented. They have only caused more problems than they are worth.

Something about someone being able to strike you dead from a distance (can you say "God complex?") makes me unhappy.
    can you say FAIL?

i have never feared a gun, and never will, unless it's in the wrong hands and pointed at me, and even then, as long as i have mine i won't have anything to be afraid of. one of the most harmful devices ever invented? please. the corrupt human condition is the most harmful thing ever invented, and until we fix that problem we will need tools to destroy said corrupt humans that would threaten the rest of us. if we get rid of guns, it will just be knives/swords/etc. if we ban those, it will be clubs, and we can just keep banning and banning until we have to cut off our own hands because fists are deadly. oh, and feet, because 11 times more people are STOMPED to death in america every year than are killed with firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    oh, and feet, because 11 times more people are STOMPED to death in america every year than are killed with firearms.
    That's kind of a cool statistic to have handy. Where'd you get it?

I'll tell you why: because it is common sense to fear guns.
    then it's even more common sense to fear planes, trains, and automobiles ... and household chemicals, don't forget about those.

what a crock! it's people like that who are bringing our country down.

i say, if you don't like the laws, go to another country whose laws you like, and LEAVE OURS ALONE

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    That's kind of a cool statistic to have handy. Where'd you get it?
    d'oh, after looking that one back up it ends up i have misquoted. you are 11 times more likely to be BEATEN to death than killed with an "ASSAULT" weapon.

but still, there are far more deaths resulting from natural disasters, cars, swimming pools, heart disease, etc. and most people killed by guns are criminals, mostly by other criminals. the same site, gun facts, also lists that in the statistics about children getting killed by handguns, supposedly 13 per day, includes people up to age of 24, and 70% of those age 17-20 died in gang-related activity, and most other teens die the same way. most younger kids killed by firearms are killed by their own parents or suicide.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Replied:

Mr. Burton is very correct when he writes, "people in real-life shootouts rarely have dead-shot accuracy." This, however, works more to refute his argument than to support it.

You see, the assailants in these massacres are NOT involved in "shootouts." "Shootouts" involve bullets flying BOTH ways.

No, the murderers' accuracy is MUCH higher, as they need not worry themselves about anyone RETURNING fire. If that WERE a concern, they would not be able to carefully take aim and slaughter defenseless innocents.

It is illogical to assume that the stress of combat will affect the defender, but not the attacker. It works both ways.

If you fear/hate guns, that's perfectly fine. Don't buy one. Don't carry one. But don't presume to make that choice for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Replied:

If you fear/hate guns, that's perfectly fine. Don't buy one. Don't carry one. But don't presume to make that choice for others.
    Very well said.

It has also proven that the chances of a gun being stolen from a dormitory are slim.
    Can someone provide the facts behind this or how they came up with it? I am not saying it is wrong but to say that the chances of a gun being stolen from any place is slim just doesn't seem logical. It also goes against the logic for keeping you guns in a safe at home or in your car to prevent theft. I am very familiar with college domitories and there is nothing safe from theft in domitory rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    can you say FAIL?

i have never feared a gun, and never will, unless it's in the wrong hands and pointed at me, and even then, as long as i have mine i won't have anything to be afraid of. one of the most harmful devices ever invented? .
    "bad gun how dare you shoot without anyone telling you too" (Dang guns always have a mind of their own)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Merriam-Webster says this:
    1 a: an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger
    b (1): an instance of this emotion (2): a state marked by this emotion
    2: anxious concern : solicitude
    3: profound reverence and awe especially toward God
    4: reason for alarm : danger
    Is it really possible to fear an inanimate object? Shouldn't someone, by definition, fear another person or being's self-determined actions more than that of.. say.. a rock? or a TV remote? or a gun?

Last I checked, it was people who pulled triggers.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

"...one of the most harmful devices ever invented"

I guess, if you are the bad guy...

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Letting fear rule your decision making or judgment forming process is a very bad thing. How many people would die because their rescuer was afraid of getting hurt while helping? Should we just expect coast guard divers, firefighters, police officers, military personnel, etc to just sit back and observe because they are afraid something bad might happen?

It's refreshing to see that the responses on the articles page are primarily pro-gun, or at least critical of the authors thought process.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I just went back and read the article again and discovered this little gem:

Seriously though, a government's primary function is to protect.
    Really? I was under the impression the government existed at the will and behest of the American people... to serve them. Since when did it become the government's responsibility to CYA?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links