Vehicle Carry

Vehicle Carry

This is a discussion on Vehicle Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you secure your weapon in your vehicle. This is what I'm looking at doing in my truck. Website is Sure Set Holster Mounts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Carry

Vehicle Carry

How do you secure your weapon in your vehicle. This is what I'm looking at doing in my truck. Website is Sure Set Holster Mounts Self Defense System
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.
    AMEN!

I built a false bottom for my center console out of sheet metal and covered it with black felt to match the rest of the center console. I keep some CDs, loose change, mints etc... on top of it. I'm very confident not even the most determined burglar would notice it. Cost me less than $15 and about an hour to build and fit.

I don't like the idea of vehicle safes unless you can bolt/weld them to FRAME. Too easy to just rip it out of the floorboard or etc... And the ones that are secured with a cable lock are a joke.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I built a false bottom for my center console out of sheet metal and covered it with black felt to match the rest of the center console. I keep some CDs, loose change, mints etc... on top of it. I'm very confident not even the most determined burglar would notice it. Cost me less than $15 and about an hour to build and fit.

I don't like the vehicle safes unless you can bolt/weld them to FRAME. Too easy to just rip it out of the floorboard or etc... And the ones that are secured with a cable lock are a joke.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    ... I'm thinking that's a negatory. I've already posted my approximate location (Near Seattle, WA), type of car (in another thread) and now told you guys where I hide my gun. I'm not giving you pics.

Think about a center console for a car. Now imagine cutting a piece of 3/16ths sheet metal to fit very snugly in the bottom of said center console, and then covering that piece of sheet metal with black felt from a fabric store. Now imagine putting your gun in the bottom of the center console and setting this "shelf" on top of it, then putting some center-console junk on top of that. That's all there is to it.

I used cardboard to make a template for the sheet metal. I tried to keep tolerances pretty darn tight when I cut the sheet metal (which I got from Home Depot). Then I glued the felt on top of that and folded the felt around the edges (and glued on the back side) so that the edges of the sheet metal wouldn't tear up the inside of the center console when I put it in and take it out.
    I found out that the felt made the tolerances a bit too tight, had to take the felt off, sandpaper the edges of the sheet metal just a bit, and then re-glue the felt. It friction-fits very snugly into the center console.

If there was absolutely nothing in the center console you MIGHT notice a teeny gap around the bottom, but with some normal-looking clutter in there, I really don't think anyone would notice. The material matches the rest of the console just fine, so it bends in. I think my gun is safer there than locked in a cheapie vehicle safe that could easily be removed with a crowbar or boltcutters.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; April 11th, 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added info
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    ... I'm thinking that's a negatory. I've already posted my approximate location (Near Seattle, WA), type of car (in another thread) and now told you guys where I hide my gun. I'm not giving you pics.
    Pete Zaria.

Never trust nobody.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Haven't used it in the car yet
    but its what I store the gun in at home too

Center Of Mass Central

bench seat or 60/40 split. are you looking for something while driving or parked?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I always carry mine on me. If you want to mount something I'd get a Fobus paddle holster & drill 2 screws through it.

VIP Member
    Pete thank you for the instructions on how you put together your false bottom. I may just do the same..

i never leave my gun in my truck,but it could happen. i better find something.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    I can't imagine having my gun anywhere but ON ME. But if I have to leave it in the car to run in the post office, it goes in the Center of Mass safe.

VIP Member
    My weapon is always on me except when I have to leave it in my vehicle at work and then it's in a COM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For those in South Carolina, keep in mind that the vehicle mounted holsters are unlawful to use unless they are within the center console or glovebox. Any concealment inside either of these locations is OK. The safes/lockboxes are OK also as long as they are locked.

Stay safe and out of trouble.
    Last edited by yourbestdefense; April 12th, 2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

+1 on what Kentuckycarry said.

Either on my person, or in a COM for a very short period of time. My weapon never sleeps in my vehicle...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links