Carry - non summer - North - cinch!

This is a discussion on Carry - non summer - North - cinch! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I at times envy you folks ''down South'' - no snow and winter is no big deal but - tell ya what - my carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry - non summer - North - cinch!

Assistant Administrator

Carry - non summer - North - cinch!

I at times envy you folks ''down South'' - no snow and winter is no big deal but - tell ya what - my carry is a total cinch in late fall, right thru till late spring!

Once I ''graduate'' from summer vest or light shirt - I use an open padded shirt - and know what? - I could conceal a darned cannon.

I like very little about winter and by Xmas even, will be suffering cabin fever but - sure as heck - carry and concealment is not in the worry market!

Not all is bad about winter - up North!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I at times envy you folks ''down South'' - no snow and winter is no big deal but - tell ya what - my carry is a total cinch in late fall, right thru till late spring!
    Then, with that much clothing it takes you half an hour to draw your weapon!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Hahaha - OK Miggy - it's pistols at dawn bro!

Tell ya what - in all seriousness - get me to draw with the padded shirt on - it'll be as quick as if I had my light vest! It really is no problem at all.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Hehehehe.... No deal! I live a life based on awareness, avoidance and deterrance

I guess every climate has its own challenges regarding to clothing. Down here we believe that those in colder climates have it easier since wearing cover garments is not unusual, specially in those places with 2 seasons: Winter and August. Here the norm for regular folks is to wear as little as possible to fend off the heat so to have some sort of cover garment might call attention upon you. Skinny folks get away by using a IWB holster and a hawiian shirt or similar. Those of us from the portly side usually have a tougher time with the same rig and end up with an OWB and have to use something heavier than a hawaiian shirt because of the wind. But I also believe that if you are confortable (or at least used to) with what you wear, you will call less attention to you.

This is one problem that does not have a perfect solution.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

1952 - 2006
    I wear a CampCo journalist's vest or a short sleeve shirt unbuttoned in the summer with a t-shirt (and I'm in Vegas, summers are 122). In the winter I usually wear a leather flight jacket, which I could carry my whole pistol arsenal under and never print.

Of course the weather here is summer from mid April thru mid October then we get 2 weeks of nice beautiful days, then it's winter until the first of April then we get 2 weeks of spring.

I know Chris, winter here isn't like winter there, but I live in a desert because I hate the cold. (The only thing in life I loathe more than being cold is being cold and wet). Winter here is in the 30's during the day, 20's at night, to me that's done right artic. LOL.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Why do you think i want that holster for the 500 Winters coming all that extra clothing i need the extra pentration

P95, I hear you guys. After a previous post I have dusted off the 1911 and it will travel with me today as the wife and I go shopping. Guys it does get cold down south and we also love the winter. The winter means big guns and bullets...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Careful Shopping

Please make sure that no matter what clothing you wear that your defensive firearm can be "Grabbed Aholst Of" quickly and without fumbling through multiple layers of clothing.
    Winter folks really need to "Go Shopping" for suitably warm clothing that will not impede the ability to get access to the vital firearm PRONTO.
    For cold winters some of the natural "duck down" & nylon or Gore~Tex coats are very light weight & move out of the way quickly & easily.
    But, The Price Of "Down" Is "Up" - so they are expensive.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ah Winter,

I personally like winter myself. During these 6 months in Michigan I can carry any of my pistols without any trouble. I don't have to worry about IWB comfort or lack there of. My belt holsters work just fine with a flannel or sweatshirt cover garment.

Last night, since the temp was in the lower 50 on it's way to the 40s I wore my Sig P229 on a Highnoon Slide Guard belt holster. A flannel overshirt did the concealment trick nicely. With a good belt and holster combination I can carry just about anything short of a crew served weapon.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Well fall finally came to Texas the other day. I have to admit wearing light jacket makes things much easier.

Assistant Administrator
    specially in those places with 2 seasons: Winter and August.
    Haha - but Miggy - remember here in PA we also have two seasons - Winter and construction, LOL

Bob - never fails to amaze me how extreme your temps can get in NV. I doubt there is any one place where things are always ideal all year round.
    Chris - P95

Euc's right. It got below 75 this week. Was downright frigid on the bike. I still only have two modes of carry, though; my Beltster or my PagerPal. Seasons make no difference to how I carry- only the type of work I'm gonna be doing.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Thank goodness the mosquitoes and black flies are gone. Winter presents its challenges also. When bundled up, access needs to be considered. When going into warm situations it's easy to forget a BUG was in the coat you just checked. What is easy to get to and doesn't print on the street may cause someone to spill their Chardonnay in the restraunt. Miggy said it, it's not a perfect world. But isn't that why we carry?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Ah yes winter. Instead of a t-shirt, I now wear a t-shirt and a hoodie. Hoodies make concealed carry so so much easier.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Miggy, did you go to the TSSA match today? I was going to go, but had to take my wife to the airport so she could go see her dad, and you know Roger and Frank, if you get there past H-Hour you can't shoot. Which is fine, I just couldn't start my shooting season. It's getting to be less oppressively hot. Seems like it RARELY really cools down here in Miami. Tropical carry seems to be the rule year round here in paradise.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links