After a self-defense shooting, where do you get legal help? - Page 3

After a self-defense shooting, where do you get legal help?

This is a discussion on After a self-defense shooting, where do you get legal help? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About calling your attorney: Several have mentioned about having an attorney on speed dial, in your wallet, etc. I absolutely agree, and one of the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After a self-defense shooting, where do you get legal help?

About calling your attorney:

Several have mentioned about having an attorney on speed dial, in your wallet, etc. I absolutely agree, and one of the reasons we decided to start the Network was to help facilitate this. But, make sure your attorney understands the subtile nuances of handling a self-defense case. Such as:

Precognition
    Defending a furtive movement shooting
    Action v. reaction
    Wound ballistics
    Affirmative defense (he should have this one down)
    Doctrine of necessity (ditto)
    Disparity of Force
    Auditory Exclusion
    Tunnel vision
    Witness dynamics
    Post Shooting Trauma
    Logorrhea (sp)

These are just a few items off the top of my head, there are many more.

But, in addition to your attorney understand these concepts, do you? If not, you might consider finding some training which will educate you on the above, or perhaps, even JOIN AN ORGANIZATION which is devoted to educating armed citizens.

Just a thought.
    Marty Hayes, President
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I don't know about Marty's organization, but am always leery of lawyer referral services and the "finders fees" that go hand in hand with so many.

AZ:

Just to clear up this point too, the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC, IS NOT AN ATTORNEY REFERRAL SERVICE.

The Network Affiliated Attorney list, which we are just starting to get off the ground, will consist of pro-gun, pro armed self-defense, Members of the Network, who are amenable to establishing an attorney-client relationship with the additional Members of the Network.

In addition, one of the "down the road" projects of the Network will be to educate these attorneys through certified Continuing Legal Education training, so they understand the nuances of a self-defense incident, and can better serve their clients.

The Network will receive no additional money for any referral for any attorney.
    Marty Hayes, President

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The Second Amendment Foundation also maintains an attorney referral service. See their mission statement.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Marty Hayes and Company

Old cops like myself, early on, develop a working BS meter and can USUALLY separate fact from fiction rather quickly.

I've spoken with Marty and his wife Gila several times during the past few years over the phone and always found them to be very knowledgeable and cooperative. I've known Mas Ayoob for about ten (10) years and have trained with him a couple of times. John
    Farnam is also one of the real pros in the shooting industry and I know him to be one of the good guys.

When these kinds of folks team up to do something, you can trust that it will be both well thought out and professionally done. I put MY own money where my mouth is as quickly as I heard about their venture. I'd encourage others to consider doing the same.

Marty...Thanks for the summary and explanation. Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean to. I've read Ayoob's works, and it was obvious in your early posts that he has input. As a retired deputy turned Private Investigator, I see the shill ambulance chasers and TV lawyer referral services all the time. Glad your endeavor is not one of those! I'll look into your services.
    Tracy
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Marty...Thanks for the summary and explanation. Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean to. I've read Ayoob's works, and it was obvious in your early posts that he has input. As a retired deputy turned Private Investigator, I see the shill ambulance chasers and TV lawyer referral services all the time. Glad your endeavor is not one of those! I'll look into your services.
    Tracy
    Thanks Tracy. BTW, on down the road we will be wanting to include in the network a list of good private investigators too, as they serve a vital link in a good self-defense investigation. Let's re-visit this in about six months?

Marty
    Marty Hayes, President

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Old cops like myself, early on, develop a working BS meter and can USUALLY separate fact from fiction rather quickly.

I've spoken with Marty and his wife Gila several times during the past few years over the phone and always found them to be very knowledgeable and cooperative. I've known Mas Ayoob for about ten (10) years and have trained with him a couple of times. John
    Farnam is also one of the real pros in the shooting industry and I know him to be one of the good guys.

When these kinds of folks team up to do something, you can trust that it will be both well thought out and professionally done. I put MY own money where my mouth is as quickly as I heard about their venture. I'd encourage others to consider doing the same.
    Captain:

You are too kind. It humbles me when people like yourself speak of such things. I only hope we are able to put this together they way it should be done, and we all benefit.

I sincerely hope we face the day when we can not only take on cases for our members, but also take some particularly aggregious cases for folks who may not be as well off as we all are, and who may not have the ability to spend a few bucks on the Network, but still lawfully defended themselves, and are now being prosecuted unmeritoriously.

Marty
    Marty Hayes, President

At my training class, a local lawyer gave the presentation on legal matters regarding a self-defense shooting. At the end, he passed out information that listed several local lawyers who handle the aftermath of a shooting. Those numbers are in my cell phone now.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Ron
    Regardless of the source, the attorney you use should, if at all possible, have been selected in advance of the time you may need his or her services. You will have enough stress to deal with and should not, at that time, first be looking for an attorney. They should be competent and experienced in dealing with CCW matters. Not only should they be on your speed dial, but you should have met, or at least talked, with them and sought their advice about what to do and say and not to do and say if you are ever involved in a use of deadly force situation.

Most experienced CCW attorneys will tell you to tell the investigating officer only that you were in fear for your life, that you are obviously under stress and will make a further statement only, repeat only, after you have spoken to your attorney.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links