Asked "that" question? - Page 2

Asked "that" question?

This is a discussion on Asked "that" question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks Three can keep a secret if two are dead. knowledge not shared is knowledge not used or understood....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asked "that" question?

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Three can keep a secret if two are dead.
    knowledge not shared is knowledge not used or understood.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am more a fan of education (call me a pinko commie for that) than keeping knowledge and enlightenment. Like I posted, I got two guys at work to get trained and obtain their CHPs because they were unsure of the entire process and even if they would want to carry. Most of the people I work with already have CHPs and we have good discussions on defensive scenarios (much like this forum, except in person). It's just these two guys I was with I thought would be a little more understanding and would accept my carrying prima facie as I considered them fairly conservative and level-headed.
    You could have just done the VA tuck and OC'd in the resturant. Then you could have gone in without leaving it in the car. Either way, your going to have that conversation with your friends.

While it's unfortunate, there are a lot of people who just aren't interested in the reasons why someone would carry a gun. (It is sad really, because in today's day and age, it should be clearly obvious why someone would carry a gun.) Some of these people aren't interested in "being educated", they just know that they don't like it, and therefore others shouldn't be carrying. their true problem isn't that, "your carrying a gun", but is actually their own fear. Until they are ready to address that fear, they won't listen to reason.

My mother once asked me the same question when she saw me OC'ing at their house. She is an intelligent woman whose husband has had guns in the house since they were married. She knows all about the evil that can happen in society. Therefore, I knew that she wasn't interested in "why" I was carrying. I knew that the real reason she asked was that she just didn't like it. My response was to calmly and lovingly look her in the eye and say, "why do you have a problem with it?" Until people can face their own fears, they aren't going to easily listen to logic and reason.

Your explanations to your friends for "why you carry?" were good, and you handled it well. The comparisons were spot on.

Hey guys, I'm new her and just wanted to say that this is a great forum and this topic sparked some interest for me. I live in Minnesota and we have CC and OC. I prefer CC, but don't see anything wrong with others that OC. Btw, if someone asks why I carry a gun, I simply say "because I refuse to be a victum".

Quote Originally Posted by theghostrider View Post
    snip]You could have just done the VA tuck and OC'd in the resturant. Then you could have gone in without leaving it in the car. Either way, your going to have that conversation with your friends. [/snip]
    I thought about it (done it plenty) and would have, but their wives are liberal, whiny women. Then T-Bone and K-Train wouldn't be allowed to come out and play with Juggernaut. I'm already on their wives' feces-list, one was given a directive not to let me drive the carts because "then T-Bone and Juggernaut will just be racing and running into each other all day". Why would someone think I, a reasonable and level-headed individual who respects property not my own, would do such a thing? "Because you ride a motorcycle, [Juggernaut], and T-Bone drives a Cobra." The fears of racing and bumping came true, but I was not at the wheel. That's what happens when people make sweeping generalisations.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

OK... If you really believe that danger can find you anytime, anywhere and you need to be prepared 100% of the time, why would you let a sign in a business prevent you from concealed carry? I'm sure the BG is going to ignore the sign.

I pocket carry all the time unless I know I have to go through a metal detector or a pat down. I feel pocket carry is the best option (for me) to carry a gun and not have ANYONE know until I present it to defend my life or the life of a loved one. If that day comes, I will at least be alive to go to court for carrying in a restricted establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    OK... If you really believe that danger can find you anytime, anywhere and you need to be prepared 100% of the time, why would you let a sign in a business prevent you from concealed carry? I'm sure the BG is going to ignore the sign.

I pocket carry all the time unless I know I have to go through a metal detector or a pat down. I feel pocket carry is the best option (for me) to carry a gun and not have ANYONE know until I present it to defend my life or the life of a loved one. If that day comes, I will at least be alive to go to court for carrying in a restricted establishment.
    It's a matter of law in the Commonwealth because our scumbag governor Weaselface vetoed the bill which would have allowed me to CC and have no one the wiser.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I was practicing grappling with a friend in his living room. I took all my seven pounds out of my pockets and off my belt and put it in the corner, including my 1911.

My friend's uncle (with 25 years on me) said, "Remember boys, never carry kung-fu to a gun fight."

After we finished, I put all my stuff back on. Uncle noticed my 1911 and asked "Dave, son, why do you think you need to carry a gun?" I looked him with a straight face and replied "so I don't have to use kung-fu at a gun fight." He just smiled.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new her and just wanted to say that this is a great forum and this topic sparked some interest for me. I live in Minnesota and we have CC and OC. I prefer CC, but don't see anything wrong with others that OC. Btw, if someone asks why I carry a gun, I simply say "because I refuse to be a victum".
    i say what i really believe which is, i will never ask another person to risk their life for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

If they have to ask, they won't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new her ... if someone asks why I carry a gun, I simply say "because I refuse to be a victum".
    Good answer. And welcome!

I've given a couple different answers, depending on the person. I usually use the "Because no one is responsible for me besides me." The "A police officer doesn't fit in my pocket" is for the other times. ;)

I think you handled it well. Personally, I am not too bothered if a few of my friends know or find out I carry. I am not terribly secretive about it. Heck, I open carry a lot of the time in the summer here in West Tennessee so I really can't be too secretive about it.

I think you handled it very well. You laid out logical reasons for you to carry and you didn't get defensive because honestly, why should we. In my opinion, it is the sheeple who do not carry and refuse to believe anything bad could ever happen to them who need to be on the defensive about their ridiculous position on this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

kaz
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Why not carry it in anyway? From what I understand, ignoring that sign isn't any kind of offence. If they catch you and ask you to leave, you either comply or face tresspassing charges. But if they know, you've either intervened in a bad situation (maybe changed some minds in the process) or you're not very good at carrying concealed.

My thinking on who knows is that it should be people you trust or spend much time with. If they're with you, have a code word they know means "act like you don't know me" for when you're considering unholstering.

"....handled it diffretnly?" I dunno. If I'm carrying and have any idea I may HAVE to disarm myself, my sidearm gets locked up in MY car......at very least, holstered and zipped up in my golf bag that's locked in the trunk if riding with someone else. If I HAVE toride with others, in someone else's car, the driver is someone who knows I'm armed (in that "may have to disarm" situation). These are precautions/situations you must consider if your with others and not in your car.

Of course this thread beggs the secondary question.....How'd ya shoot (on the golf course I mean)?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It doesn't really surprise me when anti's ask the question "why do you carry a gun"......it does when a shooter asks the same question..a guy in our IDPA club and I often have semi-heated discussions about CCW..he doesn't carry,and kind of mocks those who do.Drives me nuts,and is a little hipocritical.If someone doesn't carry,or believe in it,fine,but don't judge those who do.
    as for places that have "polocies" about no CCW,I try and avoid them,but they are polocies,not laws(at least here in NY)..act accordingly.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links