constructive criticism,or nosey jerk?

This is a discussion on constructive criticism,or nosey jerk? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anybody ever encountered someone who felt the need to criticize how they carry? met up last night with my lil bro at a cigar shop ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: constructive criticism,or nosey jerk?

constructive criticism,or nosey jerk?

anybody ever encountered someone who felt the need to criticize how they carry? met up last night with my lil bro at a cigar shop he likes to hang out in. he introduced me around to his friends in there, and one of them felt the need to criticize me about how i was carrying. i had my XD40 in a Don Hume IWB on my right. i had my shirt pulled down over the top so as not to be too obvious. aside from a little bulge all you could see was the clip over the top of my belt. now i dont mind someone i know making a suggestion as to how to carry, but this guy put me in an awkard situation by pointing out the fact that i was carrying to everyone in the place. just wondering if anyone else has every met a 'know-it-all'

2. Remove Ads

I assume you have your license, and as Georgia is an open-carry state, I would have to go with the 'nosey jerk' answer.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Lead Moderator
    My buddy who was in the Army tried to convince me I should carry my 1911 cond. 2 (hammer down) for safety. I just ignore those who feel the need to tell me how to go about my life. I am all for learning and training , but too many know little yet spout off.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I assume you have your license, and as Georgia is an open-carry state, I would have to go with the 'nosey jerk' answer.

+1

Some people just love to announce to everyone that you have a gun to see if you squirm from the unwanted attention.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

Georgia IS NOT an "Open Carry" state

Nosy Jerk works, but there a couple of other terms that I find more on point, but will not appear in a family oriented place like this. (Which it is, if we recall why we carry.)

i do have my license and did squirm until i found out that i was in a gun friendly store. still, i found it incredibly inappropriate.

Senior Moderator
    I guess it would depend on what he said and how he said it.

For instance, if he was genuinely concerned about how you were carrying and said something than I'd go more for "constructive criticism."

For instance, one day at my old job I was carrying my Kimber under a white shirt and a sort-of see-through knit blue sweater.

I didn't know it but my white shirt had ridden up and over my gun and while it was still decently being concealed by my sweater you could see the black and silver of the gun CLEARLY through the sweater. My coworker pointed it out to me and I fixed it.

His choice of words were, "You are printing REALLY bad. I can see your whole gun."

He was genuinely trying to help me and I was grateful because I had made a mistake.

On the other hand, if he started saying something a little more condescending and criticizing me more than my mistake, it would have been nosy jerk time.

That's pretty much where I draw the line. If I make a mistake in my carrying and it's pointed out to me, fine. If I make a mistake and you start degrading me because of it, you're being a jerk.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has small malfunctions and most of the time we can fix them before anyone notices, but every now and then someone else can see and points things out to us. As long as they are just trying to help and not trying to make me feel like an idiot, we're all good.

However, as Rocky pointed out. Not even constructive criticism is from the mouth of God. There are plenty of people who try to "give me tips" on how or what to carry. I thank them kindly and do my own thing anyway. Just because it works for one particular person doesn't automatically make it work for everyone else. And there is a VERY fine line between giving an opinion and trying to shove your opinion down someone's throat.

lima the encounter went like this:
    me: hi, im jason
    him: hi, im 'so and so', if your going to carry, you should do a better job concealing

like you, i dont mind constructive help, but he came across as if his way was the best way for everyone. i always believed that what works for me, wont necessarily work for the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Georgia IS NOT an "Open Carry" state
    Ummm, source, please. As neither me or you are from GA, all I could do was google Open Carry GA, and it seems that open carry is legal in GA with license...

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news
    http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

If I am wrong and Open Carry is not legal(although it seems the permit is License to carry, and does not specify how), then I will change my answer from 'jerk' to 'objective criticism'. If it is concealed carry only, and it was that easily seen, then it needs to be better concealed.

Based on what I have found, while GA is not a 'traditional' open carry state, it is still allowed, therefore my answer is still 'the guy was a jerk.'
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Jerk!! And my follow up criticism of him would have gotten my point across! I'm not sure about GA but in MS we are open carry with a permit. There are some days where I have a light cover or just print badly. It is so hot and humid, some days I don't care, depending on where I'm going and who I will be around.

Was he carrying?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

wolf you bring up a good point, and this may roam off topic, i am licensed to carry, so why should i care if someone sees it?

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    wolf you bring up a good point, and this may roam off topic, i am licensed to carry, so why should i care if someone sees it?
    Jabo, presumably, you know more about your laws than we do. The only reason I could see why you should care if someone sees it, well, varies by state.

In TX, I can get in trouble for failure to conceal. My license is specifically a 'Concealed Handgun License'. There are some states where failure to conceal will make you guilty of 'brandishing'. It completely varies by state.

I really don't want this thread to get into OC vs CC, but that's where most of these seem to go...

The CC faction says 'this would not have been a problem if you properly concealed', and the OC faction says 'why should you be ashamed', and it generally degenerates from there.

I'm glad it seemed to have worked out. If you don't want people to 'Announce' that you have a gun, make sure they don't notice it in the first place.

That's about as simple as it gets, but I still say the guy was a jerk.

Who is John Galt?

If I am going to an unknown area or around a busy public place, it's hidden. To hang out with my brother and a couple of his friends,I don't care. To each his own!
    At least thats MO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Kerbouchard, you bring up a good point i had not considered. maybe i should look at the whole thing as learning experience and learn to conceal better. FYI, open carry in Ga is allowed with a permit. In Ga we are issued a Georgia Firearms License, not a concealed carry license.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links