Printing - your take.

This is a discussion on Printing - your take. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "QKShooter, SOMETHING'S WRONG (??) I actually agree with you again(your post #12)." I don't know...something must be wrong. What's going on?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Printing - your take.

Administrator

Talking Rssz

"QKShooter, SOMETHING'S WRONG (??) I actually agree with you again(your post #12)."

I don't know...something must be wrong. What's going on?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I carry OWB all the time with my 5" Kimber. I have never had an issue woth somebody making my gun other than the few cops around here that know I am caarying. I live in VA and have to carry in a method that makes it easy to open carry when I enter a restaurant (stupid VA law, CCW illegal, open carry just fine) that serves alcohol. Shirt over the top or a mid length jacket in the winter and I'm fine. Along with the gun I carry 2 spares and my surefie 6p. All in handmade holsters from a local guy "Backwoods Leather" here in Chesapeake. Great work!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    The LEO's haven't been trying to "make" people as much, now that there are so many CCW'ers out there. They're looking at stealth and guilt signs. The public can't tell a print from a pop can. Those who know, like us, don't mind. It's the BG I don't want to tip off. The cover garment should be loose and open in the front. The rest can be Armani.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I concern my self naught with worrying about printing. I have a T-shirt cover, but bend and move as I am wont. So what if someone notices my bulge. Most people do not have a clue, nor would they do anything about it anyway.

I was with 6 very close friends one evening and we were playing cards and various other games. We stood and moved and bent over through out the evening. Just as we were about to go, one of the women, who knows I carry, asked if I was carrying that night. I told her I was and she said she never even noticed. With some many other things to worry about, this issue is way low on my radar.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

If I print, it only helps the antis and the criminals.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

I lucky here in Arizona, we can carry open or CCW.I carry a 5'' 1911 about every day, t-shirt hanging over my weapon.

Printing is always gonna be present if ya move around enough.
    just hafta try and minimize it i reckon.
    I try and dress according to how i carry but i noticed last nite that i was very well concealed when we went out looking for pumpkins.
    the IWB i was carrying was poking me to death (3 days old and is gonna end up in "the box") but i knew it was pulled in tight.
    well when i got home and started doing the pumpkins with my son
    i was leaning over and thought about it for a second, reached back and the butt of my 1911 was poking into my shirt a good 5 inches!!
    so i know even a non observant sheeple wouldA known it was a gun under there. in that situation IWB or OWB woulda shown thru like a light.
    So i guess theres gonna be times it "just shows".
    was at home with my 3 yr old son who knows i carry, heck he shoots my 38 snubby adn loves it.
    i'm just waiting for him to say something abotu "my gun" at some inopportune place. it'll happen i'm sure. then print or no print all in ear shot will know.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I don't really worry too much about printing. I bend over during my bowling leagues with 40 other people hanging around and no one has said anything to me about it. I try to keep it concealed as best as I can, but I don't get obsessive about it. I just wear a medium weight shirt over it and go on with life.

My biggest worry about printing is at work. Only one person knows I have my permit and that I carry at work. I don't really know how the owner would react, but if he said I couldn't carry, I am out of there. I can go find another minumum wage job anywhere up here. I do pretty good with my Sidearmor and G30. No one has questioned me or freaked out or anything.

Funny story though. I was at Perkin's a week ago having lunch with my fiance. This is in the UP way up there in the Keweenaw Penninsula, very pro-gun area.

There was a guy carrying in there (so was I) and he was really priniting bad. It was down right pathetic. This server guy goes up to him and asks him if that is a gun on his hip, to which he replied Yes it is, and went back to eating. The server went to get his manager and he came out and asked the guy if he had a permit to carry, the guy said Yes. The manager said OK, cool, just checking, and walked away. The server guy got all mad that the manager didn't do anything and the manager lifted up his shirt and exposed his Sig 220. The server guy freaked out and asked does anyone else in here have a gun. About 15 hands went up in the air, out of maybe 60-70 people in the restaraunt. The look on the server's face was truly a Kodak moment. I still laugh about that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    As I understand it, in some states consider printing the same as brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Not meaning to get anybody POed at me but, if Fobus or Uncle Mike's GAVE me a free Kydex holster (for concealed carry) & topped it off with a hundred dollar bill.
    Absolute Truth...I would hand both right back to them.
    I would never do that!

I would keep the money, send the holster back and ask for a little bit more money so I could buy a Galco or Brommeland holster!
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

I made a newbie mistake yesterday. I've only been carrying for a month now - and most of that is only on the weekends since I can't carry at work. We were on a boat tour and as I got and swung the baby backpack over my shoulder, the bottom stand caught both my jacket and undershirt, pulling them up to reveal my full size 1911 to approximatley 30 people! Worse, but I didn't realize this and as I situated the backpack, realized a full 10 seconds aftewards that the jacket and shirt were trapped underneath. This wasn't just a flash - it was a full out - hey everyone, look at my gun.

Once I realized this, my heart stopped. I casually just pulled the jacket back down and then turned, in my best nonchalant way, to glance at what I thought would be a horrified audience. If anyone saw - nobody cared. They just smiled as they passed by or cooed at the baby on my back.

So two important lessons I learned that day - 1) be more aware of cover garment when holstering baby and 2) babies are a #1 concealment accessory. Everyone should get one to carry around. No worries about printing with one of those on your back! :)

I have had problems concealing a 1911 in a fobus holster. I was also not using a gun belt which may have complicated matters. However, I could Fobus carry my cousin's glock with no problems. I think it is the weight - as it tends to pull the fobus away from the body.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha Joe - reminds me of my one early carry days faux pas! Except no baby as back-up!

I had kept my shirt inside the gun to keep it off sweaty skin in the truck.

Stopped for gas but forgot to rearrange shirt. Calmly gassed up - looking at guy behind with same truck - he was looking over at me so thought - hey - yep, we both have nice trucks! He didn't look concerned, just ''interested''.

Finished gassing and sauntered in to pay at office - did that and sauntered back to truck - snub on full display!!! Got in and then realized. OMG - embarrassment!!

Wondered driving home if the cops would pull me up after getting a report in of ''guy with a gun''.

Guess in retrospect I was so cool, because unaware, folks probably thought cop or PI or something.

Salutary lesson - I now check whenever I get out the truck, get up from eating etc - but have developed very covert ways of checking - so the checking will not itself give any clues.

We live and learn
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm

Funny story though. I was at Perkin's a week ago having lunch with my fiance. This is in the UP way up there in the Keweenaw Penninsula, very pro-gun area.

There was a guy carrying in there (so was I) and he was really priniting bad. It was down right pathetic. This server guy goes up to him and asks him if that is a gun on his hip, to which he replied Yes it is, and went back to eating. The server went to get his manager and he came out and asked the guy if he had a permit to carry, the guy said Yes. The manager said OK, cool, just checking, and walked away. The server guy got all mad that the manager didn't do anything and the manager lifted up his shirt and exposed his Sig 220. The server guy freaked out and asked does anyone else in here have a gun. About 15 hands went up in the air, out of maybe 60-70 people in the restaraunt. The look on the server's face was truly a Kodak moment. I still laugh about that.

Boy do I love the U.P. Calumet is a nice little town too. Lots of great stuff up there and real "characters".

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I had kept my shirt inside the gun to keep it off sweaty skin in the truck.

I'm just waiting for that to happen to me. In Ohio we have to unconceal our gun in the car - and usually I just tuck in my shirt behind the holster. After awhile you just get used to tucking and untucking as you get in and out of the car - and it becomes second nature. The problem with subconcious second nature things is that at some point - you'll forget - and do the exact thing you described.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links