Printing - your take.

This is a discussion on Printing - your take. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because of the stupid brace I have to wear for the next several weeks the butt of my revolver is actually pushed out away from ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Printing - your take.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Because of the stupid brace I have to wear for the next several weeks the butt of my revolver is actually pushed out away from my body. Canting the holster so that the butt is more vertical helps. I usually wear one t-shirt under the brace, one t-shirt over the brace to hide it... and also my revolver. I then wear a button-front short or long-sleeved collared shirt jacket style over everything, so the gun is actually under 2 shirts.

My wife can't even tell I'm carrying
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad you figgered a way to do it, TS. Hope you can get that thing gone pronto. Meanwhile, be careful and keep us posted.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Boy do I love the U.P. Calumet is a nice little town too. Lots of great stuff up there and real "characters".
    Yup. It is great up here. The people up here are great. Hunting's good up here too. There are some real characters up here though. Wow. Every day, someone makes me laugh.

Its great to live in an area where when bird season starts, you see two out of three vehicles with a dog in the back and blaze orange on someone. Makes me realize how lucky I am.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I used to worry about printing (especially when I lived in a non CCW state) but in the last few years of carrying, I've come to the opinion that I could strap an AR on a tactical style chest sling and walk down the street and most people wouldn't notice.

I've had the wind blow up my cover garment, I've had the shirt ride up when reaching up for something on the top shelf at a store (or when bending over to the bottom shelf), I've had my shirt accidentally tucked behind my gun and I've even had a rambunctious 4 year old boy bounce his head off the butt of my CCW piece at McDonald's and NOBODY noticed.

As long as one doesn't live in a state where "printing=brandishing" or you work somewhere that "carry=fired" I fail to see where its all that big a deal.

Just a thought, reading through this thread...

Why 1911? I own a full size Kimber, but I will probably never CCW it. Why??

I am not a LEO. I'm happy as all get out with my 642 stuffed in my front pocket, if confronted with a situation. "sure, lemme get my wallet, mr bad man". DeSantis Nemesis. Love it.

major printing

I'm sure everybody here know about Ohio's stupid "Plain sight" requirement. Well, I had my 92F with an IWB, so I had to move my shirt to have it in plain sight. Well I got out and went into a client's site. I was walking around for about 10 minutes until one of the management people asked "is that a gun". I said yes and said something like most ex-military people carry one. I covered it up. I was sweating all day. Nothing happened.

This is my biggest fear, leaving the pistol exposed when I leave the car.

Just like everyone else I was concerned with printing.
    BTW I ccw before I became LEO.
    So now it's second nature to look as natural and move
    as if no one is the wiser.
    The biggest giveaway to me is when someone is constantly
    adjusting there carry weapon and looking around to see if anyone has seen them.

For the most part people are not going to notice. There are a couple of detectives that open carry in the coffee shop I hang at and rarely does anyone notice.

You can dress around any holster, but it's easier to wear one that conceals in the first place. That means IWB for the most part, but I'm leaning to the OWB again and have decided that dressing around it is gonna be worth the extra comfort of the OWB.

The longer I carry the less I am concerned about being "made." I have been concealing for over 15 years now and have never been informed of my "printing" in that time.

Even if I am made, I'm legal by state law. There is the trustpass issue though that can get me banned froma bussiness if they don't approve, so I try my hardest to be "the gray man".

Cool

Since a smartcarry is my primary carry holster, I noticed that people rarely look at others groin area. And since it (smartcarry) conceals my CCW very well I donít worry about printing.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Wink It's a lifestyle thing....I guess

Quote Originally Posted by V-fib
    Since a smartcarry is my primary carry holster, I noticed that people rarely look at others groin area. And since it (smartcarry) conceals my CCW very well I donít worry about printing.
    You obviously don't live in MIAMI, FL like I do!

I USED to use something called THUNDERWEAR and it didn't work for me. Too uncomfortable. Besides at one point I was in a restaurant and as the waitress took my order (with my wife watching) she was gazing into my lap where my 45 was making a noticeable ummmm protrusion in my lap area. The waitress left, giving my wife a look that said "You are SOOO Lucky!" My wife was giggling and many comments were exchanged and I quit wearing the dang thing....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Salutary lesson - I now check whenever I get out the truck, get up from eating etc - but have developed very covert ways of checking - so the checking will not itself give any clues.

We live and learn
    So are you going to let us in on your secrets? Us young guys can use all the help we can get.

I tuck my shirt whenever I get into a car (I hope that it helps to keep the sweat off my gun, and it should speed up my draw if I have to get to it while I'm driving), and I know that I've forgotten once or twice when I got out. So far I've been lucky, the only people who have seen it already knew I carried.

Since I'm still new to carrying concealed I do worry about printing. To an extent. I'm kinda used to carrying open, so if I do flash or print I don't worry about it too much. But I have noticed that since I started carrying I do look much closer at people, specifically to see if they are carrying.

A1C Lickey

(Hope I didn't ramble on too much.)

I live in California where it is nearly impossible to get a CCW.

Because everybody thinks that concealed carry is illegal here, no one notices anything, and I could probably explain it away easily by just saying "Oh, that's just my cell phone on my belt".

Such is the way amongst the sheeple.........

DPESEC,
    I to am from Ohio and just a comment on your post about IWB carry/open sight in a vehicle. on the ofcc forums website there has been a bit of discussion about IWB holsters meeting the states open sight requirements and it seems that some police dept's and DA's don't believe that IWB carry in a car meets the open sight requirement. just a heads up on that.

Don't want to see anyone get into trouble over a triviality of the law.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

SOLO,

Unfortunately they don't define plain sight, so any kind of carry in the car can be subject to argument other than duct taping the pistol to your forehead. Luckily so far there have not been any cases where the vehicle IWB carry has been an issue and hope it remains that way until they get the law fixed.

FWIW that is the way I carry, making sure that the gun can be seen from outside of the vehicle. If an officer is going to bust you on that - he's probably going to find some way to bust you anyway.

it'll be a good day when they get rid of that open/plain sight requirement.
    we are the only state i know of that has it.
    i was looking to travel south a few months ago and asked the 'open-sight' question to states in my path and they all replied "concealed means concealed". i wish i coulda seen there faces cuz they prolly went cross-eyed to the question as if i were nuts.
    squid86 likes this.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links