Are non-citizens eligible for CCW permits?

This is a discussion on Are non-citizens eligible for CCW permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I surfed the web for a couple of hours, but I haven't been able to find out whether U.S. citizenship or just being a permanent ...

Thread: Are non-citizens eligible for CCW permits?

I surfed the web for a couple of hours, but I haven't been able to find out whether U.S. citizenship or just being a permanent resident is required for a concealed weapons permit. Also, does that differ from state to state?

The laws vary by state- not all 50 states allow CCW. Just got done looking at the TX statute and it only states that you must have been a resident for 6 months. I believe the state allows residency to aliens if on a visa or something like that, but I may be wrong.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Ibex - I have been here since 2000 and have been a legal resident nearly four years. Once I had my first ''Green Card'' I had all the ''usual'' stuff like my SSN, DL etc. I gratefully share the same rights of citizens other than my voting right.

I await my final communication from INS to inform when and where I go to swear my oath, after which (at long last) I can finally be the full deal - true citizen.

With my current status, then in any of the 36 ''shall issue" states - or is it 37 now - forget - - if I have been resident 90 or more days and have my green card then CCW should be available as long as my background check comes out clean. Oh - I see TX is 6 mths residency from san antone's post.

I am thankful to be in one of those states and have the ability to excercize this fundamental right.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

The more time I spend thinking about it, the more attractive the US of A become as a place of residency. Well, not all of them... *cough* Feinstein *cough*.

@P95Carry:
    Where you are originally from, if I may ask? Just curious. Congratulations on having almost made it to citizenship. I was rather surprised to hear about your status, I never would have guessed that you were not born and raised in the US. Being a foreigner myself, I'm not exactly an expert, but I'd say your naturalization was quite successful.

Idaho has no citizenship requirement whatsoever, but individual sheriffs may try, in violation of the law, to give folks a hard time.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    P95Carry: Where you are originally from, if I may ask?
    Ibex - I was born an Englishman (Limey to old folks ). And as mentioned left there 2000.
    but I'd say your naturalization was quite successful.
    Haha - well yes in many many ways - I have thought since being domiciled here that in fact I was born an American - but wrong side of the pond! Only dead giveaway tho is my accent - which at my advanced time of life ain't gonna change too much .

I must compliment you on your impeccable English - it is very good indeed.

I had the pleasure of spending about 2 weeks in Stuttgart in 1961 - the year the wall went up. Saw quite a few places in the region such as Heidleberg and Ludwigsberg - and I must say, German wine is the best Oh and did spend 5 days in the Moselle region in about 1991 - an excellent wine area.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    An Englishman posted a blog about his first encounter with firearms while at Wades in Bellevue, WA a week ago . . . he came across as anti-2nd Amendment and anti-American. It got to be a hot topic in ARfcom and a participant who is a legal immigrant pointed out that WA law prohibits any alien from handling guns (I confirmed with SAF that this included rentals at Wades) unless they were a WA state resident AND had a special alien firearms card (which visitors can NOT get).

In MA, alien residents can NOT get a handgun permit. However, anyone can shoot as a guest of a MA licensed gun owner. Interestingly, a Non-Resident CAN get a MA gun license to possess handguns in MA! Go figure! I've always said that we have morons in our state house.

The late British Col. Ian Philpot was a fellow DEC employee, who worked in the UK and was an expert on military small arms. When he came over to the US to work for 3 years at DEC here, he chose to live in NH because of the above MA law. I suspect that he obtained a MA NR LTC, but I never asked him about it.

So, with this small sampling you can find that the laws vary all over the place. At least 50 different answers (50 states) and perhaps some local laws as well in some cities! Yuck!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

P95

I also spent two weeks in Stuttgart in 1963. Went to the same cities you mentioned as well as several others. Congratulations on your pending swearing in ceremony. Glad your here.

VIP Member
    And the Great State of Florida says:

Eligibility Requirements

You must be a citizen of the United States OR you must be deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly INS).
    If you are not a citizen of the United States, you must submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien who has resided in your state of residence for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted. Evidence of proof includes, but is not limited to:

Utility bills; telephone, power, or cable
    Pay stubs or other documentation from your employer
    Credit card statement
    You must be 21 years of age or older.
    You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have found that many Englishmen, upon discovering that it is legal to possess testicles here in the States (rugger notwithstanding), come to appreciate our other Rights as well.

Florida

Florida does let legal residents to have a ccw.

Assistant Administrator
    BTW - I got my FL non-res, without any problems.
    Chris - P95

Sponsored Links