Full carry in NY - Page 2

Full carry in NY

This is a discussion on Full carry in NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guncrazy. JonInNY's advice is excellent. We had already belonged to a couple of clubs. I love shooting trap and my wife enjoy's target shooting. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full carry in NY

Hi guncrazy. JonInNY's advice is excellent. We had already belonged to a couple of clubs. I love shooting trap and my wife enjoy's target shooting. And we took the advanced handgun classes after we first received our restricted permits. We dressed professionally when we went to the interview for the permit upgrade. The judge was pleasant, straightforward and liked the extra handgun courses we took, and he also took a liking to my wife. I was ignored for most of the time while they chatted up a storm on all different subjects. His #1 concern in the end is that you had the guns locked away in one location and ammunition in another. We have grandchildren. We were already warned in advance about his concerns and were fully prepared for his questions. You might want to try and find out all you can about your judge and their personal feelings on firearms which will help prepare you for questioning. In the end, even with the extra hoops, it turned out ok and we now have our full carry permits, and we are still taking advanced courses to keep our skills and knowledge sharp. Good Luck in your quest and please keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
    You might want to try and find out all you can about your judge and their personal feelings on firearms which will help prepare you for questioning.
    This too is good advice. If he's an elected judge, check his party. I don't want to generalize too much, but Republican judges might be more receptive to give you the permit.

Also good advice from Kelsey, make the judge aware that you are safety conscious. Maybe bring some photos of the safe you will use to store your firearm. All of these will help to tell the judge that you are an outstanding citizen, who understands the responsibilities of gun ownership.

Once again, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Hi from Ulster County, a little north of you. Unfortunately, it's up to the local judge who grants the permit. My suggestion is that you make an appointment to see the judge personally, and request a no-restrictions CCW. I don't know what your chances are, it's really up to the mood he/she is in. Be nice, have a good reason, and they should give it to you.

Best of luck,
    Jonathan
    I agree with JonInNY although I think Westchester is a bit more liberal than Ulster, sort of a "NYC lite". Depending on when you were granted your original permit, it may be a while before you get the restrictions removed, unless you can show a "need" unfortunately.

I live in Orange County and when I got my permit, it was restricted to target and hunting also. Up here you have to meet with the judge before he/she signs off. My judge told me that she never grants an unrestricted license on first application and didn't buy any of my reasons for wanting a ccw. She did say that she would remove the restrictions in 24 months if I maintained a clean record. I was able to talk her down to 18 months (December!!!!!)

Good luck!!

Whisky19

Guncrazy... one more thing. You didn't mention how old you were. Since this is a one-on-one meeting with the judge, they also look for "maturity". So if you are on the younger side (I'm saying that politely), dress as neatly as possible, and try to maintain a professional demeanor.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by guncrazy View Post
    do you think i should send my letter in or wait ?
    I think you should do like I'm planning to do. I have had a restricted permit in Broome county for about 10 years. My plan is to take both the personal protection in and outside the home from a certified NRA instructor. I'm planning to take the course some time in June.

Once that's done, I'm going to write a letter to the judge asking that my restrictions be removed and I be allowed to carry fully concealed. I will be enclosing a copy of my completion certificates. The last judge (who never approved unrestricted permits) has retired. I feel I at least have a chance now.

I wouldn't be in a hurry, because if the judge says no, you can't keep going back, and you might have to wait until that judge is replaced.

Good luck.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    If there any Shooting Matches in your area, join. Local LE will be present and you might meet a couple of good guys. They might give you some pointers, ie:instruction. ........LETTER- Your Honor, personal responsibility is very important to me. It is for that reason that I practice _____ times a week/month with my firearm (not gun). I am willing to put in the time and training necessary to become proficient with my firearm because I understand what a great responsibility it is to own one. I've been competing on some local bona fide shooting matches and have met some fine people. Citizens as well as LE that are willing to share their experience with me. It's a great learning experience...blah blah etc., etc. Do you get my point? Responsibility and the wanting to remain within the law....Good luck and don't BS, they'll see through it. Be honest and sincere.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    ....Good luck and don't BS, they'll see through it. Be honest and sincere.....
    Very sound advice, and a good letter too!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

its been over a month since i sent my letter in to the judge about having my restrictions removed no response yet what do you recommend ? thanks

I'd move.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I talked to the NYPD pistol permit section about 2 weeks ago.

They told me they would certify an out of state permit for carry in NYC if a good reason was presented.

I have got to take the NY bar now just to see if I can get the NYC unrestricted carry licence...

permit

[QUOTE=
    what about for upper ny residents unrestricted carry not the city ?

its been over a month since i sent my letter in to the judge about having my restrictions removed no response yet what do you recommend ? thanks
    You could try calling the judge's office to see if the letter arrived. Also, try using punctuation.
    mavis

Guncrazy, think about changing your handle.

I dont under stand why they only give target and hunting

Uh.... maybe because you're in the state of New York, one of the most anti-gun states in the country?
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

VIP Member
    GC I see you are a Diesel Mechanic. Do you have to go on road calls late at night ?. Here is a good reason. Just like someone said about a toe truck driver. You could get a part time gig for awhile till you get the unresticted. You got the tools to get this, use them. Maybe you got to work alittle harder if you want it. Maybe you need a Kick in the rear end. Sorry if I am a bit harsh, but let's go already.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links