Full carry in NY

Full carry in NY

This is a discussion on Full carry in NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in westchester NY i want a full carry i was issued a target and hunting permit iam going to send a letter to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full carry in NY

Full carry in NY

I live in westchester NY i want a full carry i was issued a target and hunting permit iam going to send a letter to the pistol permit office to try to get a full carry does any one have any advice ? I dont under stand why they only give target and hunting thanks

Smile

Move to Texas!

Hi guncrazy. Due to a decision by an activist judge in Nassau County Long Island, every County in New York State is allowed to restrict permits as they see fit, although the law reads different. Although it's a New York State Pistol Permit, each county's Pistol permit office is controlled independently by that County's Clerk and assigned Judge who will legislate new rules and laws from the bench depending on how they feel about guns. My wife and I had restricted permits for several years before we applied for an upgrade to a full carry permit. We each had to have another background check done, an interview by a police investigator, write letters to the judge as to why we needed a full carry permit and then be interviewed by the judge who granted us our full carry permits. We had also taken advanced threat management and handgun courses which I think helped us. Target/Hunting permit restrictions is technically an administrative rule and although it is not illegal for you to carry under New York State Law, if you are caught there is a good chance your permit will be revoked. You should talk to some local firearm trainers who could probably advise you on how to apply for an upgrade in your County.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I had a 'restricted' for about 5 years before I wrote a letter to the judge and saw him in court. The easiest way.....move to Dutchess County! I've heard that 9 out of 10 permits are unrestricted.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I used to live in Yonkers.
    Forget about an unrestricted permit.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Here in Otsego county you automatically get a conceal carry permit when you apply

HARDCORE

I was told to take a job driving a tow truck. Explain the judge that you work late into the night and after the LE tells you to pick up the vehicle in question and they leave. You don't know who is watching from the trees. You are conserned for your safety.

Move to the far northwest... No permit required here in Alaska. I guess you could move to Vermont too, but it is such a tiny state

Hi from Ulster County, a little north of you. Unfortunately, it's up to the local judge who grants the permit. My suggestion is that you make an appointment to see the judge personally, and request a no-restrictions CCW. I don't know what your chances are, it's really up to the mood he/she is in. Be nice, have a good reason, and they should give it to you.

Best of luck,
    Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

do you think i should send my letter in or wait ?

I think you should make an "in person" appointment with the judge. Dress neatly, and explain why you want the permit. IMHO, I think the letter will get you nowhere, and the "personal touch" will have a better effect.

Let us know how it goes!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

hi how is everyone i sent in a letter to meet with the judge so i will keep you posted please give me any more info on what to say when i go to meet the judge thanks

I would just be honest as to why you want to CCW. If you feel that it's needed for self-protection, be prepared to tell the judge why you might feel insecure, such as travel through "questionable" neighborhoods, carrying cash to the bank, etc.

I would also have ready information stating that you have taken (or will participate in) gun safety programs. Many good classes are given by the NRA through local gun clubs.

Also, check out local clubs and become a member. Mention to the judge that you are a member of that club, and that may help too.

I wish I could be more helpful, but since we live in NY State, we're stuck with the judges we've got. Be nice, be polite, and I'm sure you'll do ok.

Let us know and good luck!

Jonathan
    -- Benjamin Franklin

thank you so much i hope it works out

Quote Originally Posted by guncrazy View Post
    thank you so much i hope it works out
    You're welcome. Please feel free to PM me if you want any further info.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links