Carrying in a Private Residence

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Private Residence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just curious, but what is considered proper etiquette if you enter someone's home/residence with a concealed firearm? (Assuming you're invited and all that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Private Residence

Carrying in a Private Residence

I was just curious, but what is considered proper etiquette if you enter someone's home/residence with a concealed firearm? (Assuming you're invited and all that jazz) I'm not inquiring about the legal side, rather I want to know how people go about informing their friends or family that they carry a firearm and asking whether or not those friends/family object to having a gun in their house.

I'm currently not old enough to carry concealed, but I've been thinking about all the ramifications of carrying when I'm older.

I did a quick preliminary search of the forums and didn't see this topic pop up, please just link the original thread to me if I'm repeating a thread.
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

2. Remove Ads

I carry concealed and if my friends ask me not to carry in their house,i can either leave it in my vehicle or not enter their house.For the most part I don't let people know i carry,so if they don't know, i don't ask them if it's ok.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I carry in my parents house all the time. I never announce it, but my parents just always assume it since me and my dad got our CWP's together. They know how important the safety of my wife, and our two kids are to me at all times.

As for friend's houses most of my closest friends know I carry, but they're all into firearms as well. They might not carry, but they don't object to me doing so in their home. Again, I never announce it, but they know, and sometimes ask.

If for some reason I find myself in someone's home who isn't a close friend, and I don't know their position on guns, I'm not going to say a word - laws be damned. I try to avoid conflicts and stupid drama as much as possible when I'm carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilky1121 View Post
    ... what is considered proper etiquette if you enter someone's home/residence with a concealed firearm?
    Depends on the person on the receiving end, as to what constitutes "proper."

Someone who's bummed by the concept of civilian carry will be anything from perturbed to outraged. Someone who's okay with it might well be initially surprised, then unconcerned.

For myself, unless the law of the state demands I inform and request formal permission to enter, I keep it concealed and don't mention it. It has never been an issue.

Any concerns over etiquette that I might have stop well short of my concern about remaining armed and able to defend. If outed and requested to leave, I'll do so. But that's just me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In SC, we have to have permission, by law, from the homeowner/s to carry in his/her/their home. I won't violate that, but then again, I don't have the need to carry in someone else's home.

I carry, that's it.

I don't tell. I'm not aware of any law that requires me to "inform" anybody that I'm carrying a concealed firearm or two, your state may differ. Of course I'm carrying under LEOSA when I'm off duty.

Biker

I don't let them know if it is in my state, I am not required to. But in Arkansas, you are required to inform the home owner.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I keep it/them concealed and don't make an issue of it. If one of the few people who know I carry were to object (or more likely a wife), I probably wouldn't go to their house. However, if they object but my family is going, I'll go anyway and keep it concealed.

The protection of me and my family is far more important than anyone else's feelings. Is the other person's house immune to crime? I think not. Sometimes it's a war zone here, and I intend for me and my family to survive. I'm not concerned about someone else's feelings on the matter. If it's legal for me to carry, I'm carrying. No one else will ever know unless a crime is in progress.

I agree, it's a concealed weapon. Most if not all would never even notice anyway.

I visit lots of homes as a course of my job, and I lock and leave my carry gun in the car when I go into other people's homes. I don't wish to be put in the situation where, if for some reason, the information gets out. I would probably lose a lot of customers if they knew. So, I just don't take the chance.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Thread

There was a thread on this a while back...Here it is:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nds-house.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I don't have the need to carry in someone else's home.
    Really? How so?

In a given neighborhood, what is it about home A that's so markedly different in risk from home B? The fact that one is armed and the other is not? In a given neighborhood, when it comes right down to it, that's a key factor, and probably the only material factor that would distinguish the "hardness" of the target. Think about it.

Seems to me that if there is a perceived need at all, if carrying to guard against crimes in our own neighborhoods and homes is one of the reasons we remain armed, then that need can only be greater off our own ground, since in less-familiar surroundings we're going to be less able to sense what's wrong or out of place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I carry concealed and if my friends ask me not to carry in their house, I can either leave it in my vehicle or not enter their house. For the most part I don't let people know I carry, so if they don't know, I don't ask them if it's ok.
    Although I have a CHL permit, I would never be so crass as to ask if I could carry a handgun on someone's premises. If I want to carry on someone's premises, I would just do it without asking. Concealed carry is no longer concealed if one asks for permission to carry on your premises. Therefore, if some CHL fruitcake were to ask me if he could carry on my premises, I would say "no," because by asking he already has violated the rules.

most of my real friends know i carry and know i always have my gun.
    it does not come up often that im in someones house i dont know, but i would not say anything because staying armed is more important to me than maybe getting someones permission to carry in their home.
    i simply would not say anything about it.
    i assume you are talking about people that already know you carry,if so they will tell you w/out you saying anything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

In Arkansas it's the law is:

Where Concealed Handguns are Prohibited

# 17. a private residence without having first advised the occupants that the license holder is carrying a concealed weapon and given the permission to carry the handgun.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links