Alaskan carry laws

This is a discussion on Alaskan carry laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to see if anyone can clarify Alaska's carry laws. Particularly as it applies to an out of state residence. As I read it, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan carry laws

Alaskan carry laws

I'd like to see if anyone can clarify Alaska's carry laws. Particularly as it applies to an out of state residence.

As I read it, you do not need a permit in Alaska for either concealed or open carry. It appears they offer a concealed license for those who want reciprocity with other states. Is that correct.

My question is, does that statute apply to out of state residents. I see nothing in it that specifies for Alaskan residents only.

I have a friend that will be traveling to Alaska in the near future, and wants to know what his options are in bringing a hangun. He is not comfortable carrying concealed or open in some of the places he will be, without more info.

I indicated that he has time to get a Utah permit, which I believe would remove this issue. However, he lives in one of the 2 states that have no concealed permits, so he's not sure he can find a class to get the training he needs.

Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    I'd like to see if anyone can clarify Alaska's carry laws. Particularly as it applies to an out of state residence.

As I read it, you do not need a permit in Alaska for either concealed or open carry. It appears they offer a concealed license for those who want reciprocity with other states. Is that correct.

My question is, does that statute apply to out of state residents. I see nothing in it that specifies for Alaskan residents only.

I have a friend that will be traveling to Alaska in the near future, and wants to know what his options are in bringing a hangun. He is not comfortable carrying concealed or open in some of the places he will be, without more info.

I indicated that he has time to get a Utah permit, which I believe would remove this issue. However, he lives in one of the 2 states that have no concealed permits, so he's not sure he can find a class to get the training he needs.

Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Go to carryconcealed.net

It looks like Alaska honors all out of stat carry permits except Vermont, Wisconsin and Illinois.

He can always apply for a Pennsylvania non-resident permit. It looks like Alaska honors a non-resident permit.

You should check this out in more detail as I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    It looks like Alaska honors all out of state carry permits except Vermont, Wisconsin and Illinois.
    because those are the only 3 states that do not have any form of carry permit.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    because those are the only 3 states that do not have any form of carry permit.
    Makes sense. I guess the op's friend lives in one of those states.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Alaska does not require a permit to carry at all.

They do issue for those that would like to carry in other states that would recognize it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post

It looks like Alaska honors all out of stat carry permits except Vermont, Wisconsin and Illinois.
    Yeah, I chuckled a bit when I saw this too, and I mean no offense by that. It's just that:

Vermont: No permit required to carry.
    Illinois: Communist no carry state.
    Wisconsin: Communist no carry state.

In fact, I bet it would be a liberating feeling for citizens of Illinois and Wisconsin to visit either Vermont or Alaska and get a whiff of the freedom which they are deprived of.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    As mentioned before there is no permit required to carry concealed or openly. If you are stopped by an LEO you must inform him/her that you are carrying. The places off limits to CCWs are court houses, federal buildings, K-12 schools, and bars.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I just moved from Juneau. The law in in Alaska is: if you can legally own a hand gun you may carry it concealed. Your actual state of residence has no bearing on this, and you are not required to have a CHL from your state or any other.

The main reason for this is bears. It's hard to tell someone that they can't have the means to defend themselves from a bear. All of Alaska is bear country, Black, Brown and Polar in the far north.

Their are basically 2 ways to bring a handgun into Alaska. On a non stop flight from the lower 48 or take the ferry that doesn't stop in Canada up to Alaska. There is no way to drive through Canada with a handgun.... not legally anyways and the Canadians are very serious about this issue. Get caught and you will do time in a Canadian prison.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
    I just moved from Juneau. The law in in Alaska is: if you can legally own a hand gun you may carry it concealed. Your actual state of residence has no bearing on this, and you are not required to have a CHL from your state or any other.
    This is the crux of my question. As you've described, that's how I read the law. Open or concealed was legal for anyone. Did not specify a resident. It appears to me that the only reason for getting an Alaska CCW is to have reciprocity in other states.

That sound right to you?
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I just moved from Juneau. The law in in Alaska is: if you can legally own a hand gun you may carry it concealed.
    This is true unless you are an Army guy (or gal) under the purview of the ALCOM commander.

Everything else I've read here sounds right, although the standard disclaimers apply.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Not just handguns. I do recall the first time I visited the grocery in Kotzebue and saw a guy with a shotgun walk up to the cashier with a 6-pack, ring out and leave ... just struck me kinda funny. Never saw anything like that in Florida.

The main reason for this is bears. It's hard to tell someone that they can't have the means to defend themselves from a bear. All of Alaska is bear country, Black, Brown and Polar in the far north.

Their are basically 2 ways to bring a handgun into Alaska. On a non stop flight from the lower 48 or take the ferry that doesn't stop in Canada up to Alaska. There is no way to drive through Canada with a handgun.... not legally anyways and the Canadians are very serious about this issue. Get caught and you will do time in a Canadian prison.

Thanks for clearing things up BlueMerle!

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    This is the crux of my question. As you've described, that's how I read the law. Open or concealed was legal for anyone. Did not specify a resident. It appears to me that the only reason for getting an Alaska CCW is to have reciprocity in other states.

That sound right to you?
    That's how I see it.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

I'm going to Alaska end of June. I made the wife get direct flights, so transporting my gun was no issue. Unfortunately, one of my stops is Denali National Park. Are visitors to Denali given stickers to wear that say, "Hello, my name is BearFood!"?

Of all the national parks, Denali is in the top 3 in a list of national parks I'd want to carry in.

Out of curiosity, do people generally ignore the carry restrictions in Denali?

UPDATED: After doing a bit of research, apparently carrying a firearm in PARTS of Denali (those parts designated after 1980) is legal! Nothing like consistancy... "Parts of Denali" are the only National Park where you can carry... Now, how to find those "parts".
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    This is true unless you are an Army guy (or gal) under the purview of the ALCOM commander.
    I heard something about this before. What's the story?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 16th, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Zippo9
    USAF Retired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links