When to unload? - Page 2

When to unload?

This is a discussion on When to unload? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree that if children are around it would be best to empty the chamber while not carrying the gun. I will have to make ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to unload?

I agree that if children are around it would be best to empty the chamber while not carrying the gun. I will have to make changes as I have just become a grandpa.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I've got a three year old son at home. Any firearm that is not under my immediate control is unloaded and ammo secured elsewhere. An accident would be wholly unacceptable, the cost too high. Yeah, unloading every day is a PITA, but my son is irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    My carry guns are always loaded except for two instances:
    1. When I clean the gun
    2. When I have to unload to go into a non-carry location
    Same here.

Unloaded gun = stick

I leave my two house defense weapons, and my two carry pistols loaded all the time, but I do reload them with fresh ammo often.

Let me explain…

I don’t know about today, but back in the 90’s the Feds required their people to fire at least a box of ammo every 90 days. The first ones fired where the ones in the gun, and backup clip, and they would finish up the box those clips came from.

And I basically do the same thing today. Except being semi-retired now, I go to the range more often.

Your anxiety over leaving a round in the barrel and or clip for an extended period of time.

There is some concern regarding oil from the pistol making its way around the primer, and fowling the bullet.

While I have never seen this happen, it is the reason I fire all the rounds in the pistol, give it a good cleaning upon returning home, and reload with nice fresh bullets.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The more you touch it the more likely bad things will happen.
    Leave it alone.
    The gnomes didn't unload it during the night.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Full mag and one in the pipe at all times. When I go to the range for practice, I empty the mag, and switch to a different one to "give it some time off". Other than that, and when it's cleaned, it's always fully loaded.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

All this talk about setback got me to thinking that I am lucky I did not get killed as a kid. I hunted with a lever action 30-30 that would get unloaded every time i would get out of my stand. After repeatedly loading and unloading, I would occasionally have a round or two that the bullet had been pushed into the casing by 1/4 inch or more. I never used any that I noticed, but no telling how many got fired that I did not notice. I guess constantly reloading them into that tube magazine was pushing them in.

As far as my defense weapons, they are loaded at all times, except to clean them. When they are being cleaned, I switch to my back-up weapons. Two 12 gauge shotguns and a Bushmaster AR.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    Some and some not.

I have two kids and the only gun left chambered is the one I am carrying that day. It sits on the nightstand next to me when I am sleeping. I am confident neither of my kids would mess with my guns but I still do not take chances.

Senior Moderator
    Always loaded anly unload to clean or when firing
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I generally keep a revolver for home defense, and it is always loaded along with two speed loaders. My edc pistol is also kept loaded with one in the chamber, however I do rotate magazines every 3 months to "rest" the other magazine. You have to figure that leos carry semi automatic pistols fully loaded all the time with no adverse effects to the gun or their magazines.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    You may be confident in your kids (grandkids in my case), but you must be prepared for when they have friends over and guns become accessable either from discovery or show and tell. I don't have the statistics handy, but, if memory serves me, that is the more likely scenario.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Does anyone have a GunVault with the handprint guide for the Cypher Lock. It looks like you could leave the weapon loaded even with kids around, but if you need it you can quietly open it in the dark? I was thinking about purchasing one but at $200+ I wan't to check it with you guys first?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Does anyone have a GunVault with the handprint guide for the Cypher Lock. It looks like you could leave the weapon loaded even with kids around, but if you need it you can quietly open it in the dark? I was thinking about purchasing one but at $200+ I wan't to check it with you guys first?
    The street price for a mini-vault is less than $100. The biometric version is not worth the money in my opinion.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Do whatever is most comfortable to you. If you ever have kids in your house, unload and/or lock up anything that you are not carrying. Your kids may be well trained on gun handling, but their friends probably aren’t.

If you don’t have kids, keeping a loaded gun is less of a risk. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind that I haven’t seen mentioned so far. Many years ago a LEO friend told me that he always kept his gun un-chambered while sleeping. If he woke up sensing a threat in the house, the act of chambering a round would help insure that he was wide awake before firing. Being wide awake and alert is important before you pull the trigger. In my younger days, when sleeping was easier for me, I adopted his habit and it saved me from putting a few holes in walls of my parents house once.

These days, I go from sound asleep to wide-awake pretty quickly, so my XD stays chambered 24/7. If you sleep with a loaded gun within arms reach, have a plan for when you wake up to a strange noise in the night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links