When to unload? - Page 3

When to unload?

This is a discussion on When to unload? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought the correct answer for "When to unload?" was when in fear for one's life!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to unload?

I thought the correct answer for "When to unload?" was when in fear for one's life!

VIP Member
    I leave mine loaded unless I'm cleaning or am forced to unload (gunshows). A round in the chamber will not cause any problems with the gun. Plus anytime you handle it to load/unload you risk the chance of an AD.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    I've got a three year old son at home. Any firearm that is not under my immediate control is unloaded and ammo secured elsewhere. An accident would be wholly unacceptable, the cost too high. Yeah, unloading every day is a PITA, but my son is irreplaceable.
    The GunVault safes are nice---you can put the loaded gun in there and it is tamper proof. Getting the gun out of the vault is probably not any slower than grabbing the gun and chambering a round.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    If you sleep with a loaded gun within arms reach, have a plan for when you wake up to a strange noise in the night.
    Great advice!

I don't have any kids to worry about, so no issue there. Thanks for all the responses on both sides of the fence...
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

The only proper way to unload a gun is BANG. . BANG . .BANG. . BANG . .BANG. . BANG . .BANG. . BANG . .BANG. . BANG . .

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbow View Post
    I have 2 grandkids living with me, age 2 and 4. When my glock comes off of me at the end of the day, the round comes out of the chamber. I keep it on the night stand at night. I got up one morning to go to the bathroom and by the time I got out my 4 year old granddaughter had come into the room and went straight to the gun. My wife scared the hell out of my granddaughter as she screamed and rolled across the bed to get to it. She then screamed at me wanting to know if "that thing" is loaded. I explained that there was 13 in the magazine but the chamber is empty for this reason. I showed her that at, least for now, there is no way that one of the kids could chamber a round. But now when I get up for any reason, I pick it up and at least put it up on top of the TV that sits on top of the dresser. That puts it up 6 feet and out of sight. There is not a fully loaded gun in my house unless I am wearing it. That is the safest place.
    Might I suggest the Eddie Eagle DVD. It's cheap ($10) & very helpful to kids learning gun safety. You might also want to look at the pistol safes mentioned below.

Program Materials Center - Product Details

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    I've got a three year old son at home. Any firearm that is not under my immediate control is unloaded and ammo secured elsewhere. An accident would be wholly unacceptable, the cost too high. Yeah, unloading every day is a PITA, but my son is irreplaceable.
    I would suggest a Gun Vault to go under your bed. Mine fits my Beretta 92FS, Glock 26 & SW442, all with reloads. It is fast access in case of a home invasion. Here's some good deals.

Electronic Pistol Safes

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    I thought the correct answer for "When to unload?" was when in fear for one's life!
    I like it!!!! Was thinking the same thing.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links