When to unload?

When to unload?

This is a discussion on When to unload? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did some searching around the forum, but couldn't seem to find a thread with my answer. Just wondering for those carrying semi-autos (capacity + ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to unload?

When to unload?

I did some searching around the forum, but couldn't seem to find a thread with my answer.

Just wondering for those carrying semi-autos (capacity + 1), do you unload your pistol at the end of the day? Leave it locked and loaded?

I've been leaving it locked and loaded...wondering if there are any detrimental effects to the gun or ammo leaving that way for a few days+? I was thinking constantly loading and unloading would be worse than just leaving it...

Any opinions and experience would be welcome
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Leave it fully loaded. My Beretta 92FS magazine springs lasted about 8 years this way before I had to replace them (cheap). My Glock mags are still going strong after 11 years. Springs are cheap.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    When I clean it. That is basically the only time I unload it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    When I clean it. That is basically the only time I unload it.
    +1 keep it loaded, always!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Leave it fully loaded. My Beretta 92FS magazine springs lasted about 8 years this way before I had to replace them (cheap). My Glock mags are still going strong after 11 years. Springs are cheap.
    Not so much concerned about the magazine, more concerned with the chambered round being hard on the gun (or the round).

JD
    Administrator
    The one time I unload it for night would probably be the time that I need it.

Self defense guns should be kept loaded until you no longer need the gun for self defense, even if it is sitting there and you are sleeping, you are using the gun for self defense.

It will not hurt the gun, the ammo, or your mag.

As stated above, springs will last a while.

Quote Originally Posted by diablo111 View Post
    Not so much concerned about the magazine, more concerned with the chambered round being hard on the gun (or the round).
    There is nothing contacting the round, it is in the chamber. Regularly loading and unloading and loading the same round WILL cause bullet set back to the piece of ammunition and that can cause damage to the gun when fired, as it increases the pressure of the cartridge.

The gun itself will be fine while loaded for long periods of time, there is no strain on the gun itself, only the springs and they can take it.

Keep it loaded, I used do daily function checks and found alot of the ammo really does not like to be slamed in to often you end up with set back of the bullet which can buld up the presure in the pipe when it is fired. Now I just go with loaded until fired or cleaned.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    there was a thread on if you should unload it when leaving your gun in a car. Your question is not quite the same, but it's quite similar. The consensus was don't mess with your gun unless you need to:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nload-car.html

as others have pointed out:

The biggest issue in unloading every night is the possible change in bullet setback if you chamber and re-chamber the same round. It is possible that the bullet will get pressed deeper into the cartridge and will increase chamber pressure. Read about it here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pdate-3-a.html
    or:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-reminder.html
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I keep most of them loaded and only shoot off the first few rounds of the shells ejected then changing/checking my mags...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great advice, thanks guys, makes a lot of sense.

+1 = teh winnar!

Just wondering for those carrying semi-autos (capacity + 1), do you unload your pistol at the end of the day? Leave it locked and loaded?
    I do unload/unchamber the round when I'm back on home turf usually. It's still carried after that, but not chamber loaded, unless of course some sort of activity has peaked my interest in the education of self-preservation.

My carry guns are always loaded except for two instances:
    1. When I clean the gun
    2. When I have to unload to go into a non-carry location

If they go into the safe, they go in loaded and in a holster (for carry guns).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Mine are unloaded at the range. The last two mags I shoot are my carry ammo I've been hauling around. Keeps fresh defensive ammo in the gun and spare mag, and lets me verify that it fires well.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Yup... what they all said!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have 2 grandkids living with me, age 2 and 4. When my glock comes off of me at the end of the day, the round comes out of the chamber. I keep it on the night stand at night. I got up one morning to go to the bathroom and by the time I got out my 4 year old granddaughter had come into the room and went straight to the gun. My wife scared the hell out of my granddaughter as she screamed and rolled across the bed to get to it. She then screamed at me wanting to know if "that thing" is loaded. I explained that there was 13 in the magazine but the chamber is empty for this reason. I showed her that at, least for now, there is no way that one of the kids could chamber a round. But now when I get up for any reason, I pick it up and at least put it up on top of the TV that sits on top of the dresser. That puts it up 6 feet and out of sight. There is not a fully loaded gun in my house unless I am wearing it. That is the safest place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links