Carry on a motorcycle road trip

Carry on a motorcycle road trip

This is a discussion on Carry on a motorcycle road trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son and I are planning a motorcycle road trip for this summer. We値l travel from El Paso, Texas north through New Mexico and Arizona ...

Question Carry on a motorcycle road trip

My son and I are planning a motorcycle road trip for this summer. We値l travel from El Paso, Texas north through New Mexico and Arizona to the Four Corners (Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico) area and return south through northern and eastern New Mexico. All the travel will be on secondary roads and we値l be staying in local motels, no camping. A lot of the trip is through very isolated areas many miles of beautiful scenery but not many people. The trip will take about five days.

Of course in this situation I will be carrying my weapon. I have a Texas concealed carry permit and it is honored in the four states we値l be traveling in. However, I notice that a lot of our travel is through national forests, national parks, national monuments, and most of all through Indian reservations. I am concerned about what kind of carrying issues I will run into. I know national parks don稚 allow concealed carry but I知 not sure about the other areas.

I have a lockable hard sided case for my weapon. When I ride into a restricted area can I clear the weapon and secure it in the case and be legal? I don稚 want to leave the locked case in my saddlebags, so can I carry it with me if I知 off the bike and be legal? I could leave the magazines with the bike I guess.

I壇 appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, especially anyone who has traveled on a bike. Thanks for your help.

Larry

I researched the Navajo Nation's laws last fall before a bike trip to the four corners area. You may carry passing through. National Forests are OK. Parks and Monuments are off limits I believe. Congress currently has a bill to level the field and make most areas consistent.

If you have the time, do the loop from Cortez up through the passes, Ouray, Telluride, and Durango. It's slower than it looks on the map. Lots of nature's best scenery, lots of twisties!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Don't think those back roads in CO are that desolate.... what do you think those of us in this state do with our motorcycles?

PS - It can snow in the high country at all times... be prepared.. I was in Durango/Silverton last memorial day week.. it snowed 8".. then it was in the 70s :)

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I researched the Navajo Nation's laws last fall before a bike trip to the four corners area. You may carry passing through. National Forests are OK. Parks and Monuments are off limits I believe. Congress currently has a bill to level the field and make most areas consistent.

If you have the time, do the loop from Cortez up through the passes, Ouray, Telluride, and Durango. It's slower than it looks on the map. Lots of nature's best scenery, lots of twisties!
    Does "passing through" include stops for gas, food, and shopping?

Thanks for the tip on the passes. We are going through that area. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been in a car but not on a bike.

Larry

I've got a handlebar mounted locking holster. When I stopped for gas at Tuba City, AZ a Navajo PD Sgt. walked up and wanted to look at the holster. He said that handguns aren't allowed on the reservation. I reminded him that it was allowed for non-Indians to pass through, and since the Nation is so large, I have to make two fuel/water stops, but I'm still passing through. That was OK with him.

I have ridden that area a lot. Keep it out of sight. National Parks store it. I don't open carry so it is never in sight. I have never had any problems with individuals in that area. Just don't look and act like a victim. Be aware of your surroundings.
    Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy How old is your son?

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I have ridden that area a lot. Keep it out of sight. National Parks store it. I don't open carry so it is never in sight. I have never had any problems with individuals in that area. Just don't look and act like a victim. Be aware of your surroundings.
    Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy How old is your son?

Semper Fi
    Thanks for the advice. I am 61 and my son is 35. He has been riding since high school. I got my first bike two years ago. I use my bike as a daily commuter and I've never been on more than a day trip of 200-300 miles. This will be a bit of an adventure for me and allow for a little father/son bonding. I'm looking forward to it. Take care.
    Semper Fi
    Larry
    Sgt USMC
    1965-1969

A little off topic...plan to make a lay over in Silverton, and stay at the Canyon View Motel. It's not real fancy, but very clean, and the view and the town are a lot of fun to take some time in. We go up there every year 4-wheeling. Then again summer in Dallas at 104 or Silverton at 74, no brainer! Have a great time. And by the way, our entire group will carry where ever we go...!
    Last edited by Ridgeline; April 16th, 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: <sp?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Me, my old man, a family friend and his son, and one other gentlemen all took off on our bikes one year and rode from Dallas all over Colorado for 8 days. There's hardly a bad road, except for 70, in the whole state. Run from south to north on the Million Dollar Hwy (Hwy 550) and stay in Silverton for a day. We rented Jeeps and drank whiskey at the Handlebar Salloon, while one of the guys ran around all night with some local guy's woman.

Keep going north all the way to 9 thru Breck, and then on to Rock Mntn Nat'l Forest. It doesn't get any better. Take gear for all kinds of weather and expect to get it at some point.

Enjoy, and be safe. It's really, really easy to go too fast! ;)

Thanks for all the tips on the area. I'm really looking forward to it. The best is we are just going to play it by ear, day by day. I'm a planning fool and usually plan trips like a military campaign. (grin)

MaximumRob I won't ask how you learned it is "really, really easy to go too fast."

Larry

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    What kind of bikes do you guys have? Any pics?

My son has a new HD Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer and I have a Honda Shadow. Needless to say I'm a little outclassed. (grin) Of course my bike is a daily commuter and I'm not interested in maneuvering a 750 pound bike through traffic every day.

Larry

Yesterday it was in the 80s.. it's been snowing today since about 3pm..

Be prepared for this state :)

I rode over Lizard Head pass in early September and got snowed on. No fun on two wheels!

There is a lot of pretty country and great roads out here.
    Be ready for any kind of weather in the high country. I carry an electric jacket liner at all times and on occasions I carry light thermal underwear. In the early '70's I took my son on at trip similar to what you are doing. We had a great trip. I was living in N. VA. at the time. Enjoy and give us a report.

Semper Fi
    1960 1964

P.S. Most of the bikers out here carry one way or another. It is not a big deal.

Links