Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED - Page 3

Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED

This is a discussion on Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish Rep. Boozman luck. I really hope this passes but of course I don't believe it will....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206
    I wish Rep. Boozman luck. I really hope this passes but of course I don't believe it will.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor


  2. #32
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    It'll make life easier going to Maryland. It won't be such a pain in the butt traveling thru there anymore

    The other part of me see's the regulations going up by state too...

  3. #33
    Ex Member Array FN1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    While I do not think the bill will pass but, I’ll have to say I disagree with you.


    As others have said, we already have acceptance of other states licensing in place for marriage license, and drivers licensing, and I am sure there are more, I just can’t think of any at this moment.

    And since its introduction LEOSA has proven that a system of allowing conceal carry nation wide has not caused any problems, in fact it has saved lives numerous times.
    Not really at all. In fact marriage license may not even be accepted by the state that issued them in the case of the controversial same-sex marriages. Generally marriage licenses are accepted but that is an option of the state rather than any Federal intervention.

    With drivers license it is not a Federal requirement I don't think but a cooperative agreement worked out by the Feds among the states. Having a license in one state does not gurantee that it will be recognized in all states. I first got my DL at age 14 but could not drive in NC due to their minimum age being 15. It still varies by state. I know plenty of people that have had their DL suspended and gone to another state to get one or in some cases have been banned from driving in certain states. There may be some but I can't think of any license/permit that has universal acceptance except those controlled by the Feds such as commercial drivers license.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array DrLewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drakes Creek, AR
    Posts
    958
    Some of you guys are thinking way too hard on this. It's at least a step in the right direction. I have corresponded a time or two with Dr Boozeman and am glad that we have a rep who is pro gun. He is on our side.
    "Brains before Bullets"

  5. #35
    Senior Member Array ronwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    816
    While I would like to see such a bill pass, there have been many attempts at national reciprocity in the past and all have failed. Maybe sometime in the future legislators, both state and federal, will understand the logic in it. Until then it's just a dream, but I do write my representatives each time this comes up.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

  6. #36
    Member Array Dusty Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Escalon, CA
    Posts
    335

    "Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Violence said his organisation is not against guns........"

  7. #37
    Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arapahoe County CO
    Posts
    1,798

    probability zero,

    ...but it's certainly a pleasant fantasy. Universal acceptance of permits would be great, and it would promote states' rights, as in all other states accept my CO state permit.

    It wouldn't do anything for Vermont, except maybe encourage it to enact a law to issue VT permits for reciprocity as does Alaska.

  8. #38
    Member Array Dusty Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Escalon, CA
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jongle View Post
    If the Court defines "reasonable state regulation", states like CA, where it is very difficult to get a CCW might be forced to re-examine their position.

    When hell freezes over you'll get a "must issue" CCW permit law in the PRC, even WITH a SCOTUS decision that the 2A gives us an individual right to K&B arms. Even then, they can kill any meaningful gun ownership with ammunition restrictions. They've got us by the nuts in this state and they are not about to let go.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I do not see where the Federal Gov't would have anything to say about restrictions.

    Welcome to the planet Earth!! Before the FDR administration NOBODY could see the HUGE growth of power in the federal government. Then along came the Warren court, and the rest is history. That extremely loud sucking sound you heard between 1932 and about 1980 was the power of the states being sucked into Washington D.C. Now the central government regulates just about anything it wants.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Array MP45Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    State of Guns and Religion
    Posts
    937

    Obama's Nationwide Concealed Carry Law

    As we all should know by now, he is in favor of a Nationwide ban on concealed carry. Let's hope him and Hillary pummel each other so John can walk right in to 1600 PA Avenue. I can dream, can't I? Oh, and one more thing: I'm just one of those PA guys clinging to his guns and religion.
    Last edited by MP45Man; April 17th, 2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

  10. #40
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,838
    I don't know if any of you read Kim DuToit's blog, but he has a good summary of these issues in this post.

    I was thinking about several people here commenting on how they don't want the Federal .gov involved in things like concealed carry standards. It seems to me the Constitutional argument is on our side here, though.

    Article 4, Section 1 of the Constitution requires each State to give full faith and credit to the Acts, Records, and Proceedings of other States. Furthermore, it says that only Congress can specify standards of recognition. Therefore, if Congress gives no minimum standards, none exist. This is how driver's licenses work---there are no Congressional standards on driving tests, so all driver's licenses must be recognized by every other State.

    Turn to concealed carry now. Article 1, Section 4 should require reciprocity because no Congressional standards exist that would allow, say, Massachusetts to deny recognition of Colorado's CCW licenses for failing to meet standards (e.g., lack of training requirement). Even if Congress passed licensing standards, they would only be relevant on Federal land and with respect to reciprocity. Each individual State (Alaska, New Hampshire, Colorado, wherever) could continue to run its own set of laws about how concealed carry works in that State, because the Feds can't tell them how to do things locally. (The most they can do is put prerequisites for receiving Federal funding.)

    Yeah, I know that Congress can pass unconstituional laws and we then have to sit around waiting for the right Supreme Court to set things straight, but I think this closer reading of things is making my lean further in favor of national reciprocity (but not, of course, a Federal carry license, because ATF already has too darned much regulatory authority).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

    SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

  11. #41
    Member Array AlongcameJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Some of you guys are thinking way too hard on this. It's at least a step in the right direction. I have corresponded a time or two with Dr Boozeman and am glad that we have a rep who is pro gun. He is on our side.
    +1, I'll have to agree Doc.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

  12. #42
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,695
    I'd like to this passed...just to tick off the anti's! I'd like to see their heads spin & the pea soup fly!

    I'd love to see the reaction from the anti states that would be forced to accept out of state permits, but don't let their own citizens get a permit (or severely restrict it like Maryland & NY)........

    Some have been comparing this to driver licenses being accepted by other states. The against argument is that some states require less training than other CCW permits....Well the same goes for driver licenses, some states issue with less training than others & even different ages.

    Here's a good article on comparing guns to driver licenses:
    Reason Magazine - Taking It to the Streets
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  13. #43
    Member Array torontogunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario and Buffalo New York
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Let this Bill "die" a quick death and never rise again !

    We do not need the fed's sticking their noses in State businees.

    The fed's would just screw it up.
    I want this bill really bad as I travel the states a lot by car and we intend to retire and travel even more in the south during the winter months.... but, having said that, the format that I could live with would be a 'reciprocal pemit recognition' law and that's about it. Just like the drivers license. No more no less. I sure don't want the Feds getting their fingers in the pie with licensing itself, especially BATFE. I have experience in that area and it is not happy.

  14. #44
    Member Array LoneRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    145
    There's a reason I live in the states I choose to and as previously stated, I want nothing to do with how CA and NY govern their citizens, much less their gun restrictions.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

  15. #45
    Member Array markman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N IL
    Posts
    54
    Most of you guys are lucky, were still trying to get CCW laws passed in Illinois!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged)
    By CenterOfMass in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
  2. Talk about Concealed Carry... LOL Merged
    By GoldenSaber in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
  3. Concealed Carry in National Parks provision passes! (Merged X 7)
    By Chorizo in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: May 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
  4. Vitter To Introduce Concealed Carry Reciprocity: MERGED
    By mrreynolds in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
  5. Right To Carry? The Battle Goes Nationwide!
    By Deke45 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 7th, 2005, 12:46 AM

Search tags for this page

can residents of ms. carry side arms after may 1
,
department issued ccw carry nation wide
,
how to check progress of sc cwp renewal
,

info leos gov in loc:us

,
ma.laws for concealed weapons
,
nationwide concealed gun permit
,
palm beach county sheriff leosa qualification course
,
sc cwp renewal
,
who merged with nationwide
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors