Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED

Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED

This is a discussion on Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Morning News: News : Bill Forces States To Accept Concealed Gun Permits...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nationwide concealed carry: MERGED

Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

1943 - 2009
    Rep. Boozman is jousting at windmills, I'm afraid. This bill will die a natural death, just like its predecessors.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said his organization is not anti-gun, but it opposes the bill because of its impact on states

What the hell, so the brady bunch is NOT anti-gun? They sure do a good job of hiding that.

VIP Member
    Yup, it sure would be nice.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

BAC
    I'd love to see Hamm support his comment about our permit process being too lenient.

The bill is the kind we ought to support, though. It isn't overbearing federal legislation, but rather a way to ensure states recognize other state licenses. States already accept passports and marriage certificates, among other things, so why is a carry license different?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I'd love to see Hamm support his comment about our permit process being too lenient.

The bill is the kind we ought to support, though. It isn't overbearing federal legislation, but rather a way to ensure states recognize other state licenses. States already accept passports and marriage certificates, among other things, so why is a carry license different?

-B

agreed,,

Let this Bill "die" a quick death and never rise again !

We do not need the fed's sticking their noses in State businees.

The fed's would just screw it up.

There is already precident for this in LEOSA.

While LEOSA covers only LEO's it can be argued that the natural progression is to now allow non-LEO's with a CCW Permit to carry concealed weapons in all fifty states.

I for one support this type of law. I do not however think it will pass anytime soon. :(

Biker

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post

Agreed... Sorry, but its a bad idea to go down this road. In a perfect world maybe, but everytime we chase the "perfect world" we end up screwing up what we do have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Might have a chance when the SCOTUS and the US Attorney General support the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. And, if licensing is left up to the states, as a "states rights" issue. My concern would be that the Feds would impose what they consider "reasonable" restrictions, training requirements, etc etc which could turn draconian.
    Steve

SCOTUS would have to come up with an extremely powerful decision, like a 9-0 ruling that the 2nd amendment grants the right to keep(as on your property) and bear(as in carry,concealed or otherwise) arms(any modern equivalent to revolutionary type weapons i.e. rifles and handguns).
    I see only a 5-4,maybe 6-3 decision just stating DC's law is unconstitutional. So registered handguns will be legal,that's all. SCOTUS will not rule on anything other than that.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Some interesting results might well flow when the Supremes decide the DC gun ban case. I predict that the Court will recognize a private right to own and bear arms subject to reasonable state regulation. If the Court defines "reasonable state regulation", states like CA, where it is very difficult to get a CCW might be forced to re-examine their position. Your friendly retired lawyer thinks that interesting times lie ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post

While I do not think the bill will pass but, Iíll have to say I disagree with you.

As others have said, we already have acceptance of other states licensing in place for marriage license, and drivers licensing, and I am sure there are more, I just canít think of any at this moment.

And since its introduction LEOSA has proven that a system of allowing conceal carry nation wide has not caused any problems, in fact it has saved lives numerous times.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

As others have said, we already have acceptance of other states licensing in place for marriage license, and drivers licensing, and I am sure there are more, I just canít think of any at this moment.
    Those are a completley different things. The closest one is driving but Driving regulations are largely the same no matter where you go, and you have a system in place to track drivers nationwide... no thanks, please dont apply that to my guns. I dont want the New Yorks, Kali's etc. to have any say in what goes on in my life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bill Forces States To Accept Concealed Gun Permits
    Last updated Monday, April 14, 2008 8:06 PM CDT in News
    By Aaron Sadler
    THE MORNING NEWS

WASHINGTON -- Americans with state-issued concealed weapons permits would be allowed to carry guns wherever they travel in the country under a bill introduced Monday by 3rd District Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers.

...According to a study cited by the National Rifle Association, violent crime declined each year from 1977 to 1994 in jurisdictions where a concealed gun law was in effect.

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said his organization is not anti-gun, but it opposes the bill because of its impact on states.

...For instance, Florida's standards are so low that some death-row inmates there have permits, he said.

...His 26-year-old daughter, Kristen Boozman, has an Arkansas concealed weapons permit, as do other family members, he said. The congressman himself does not.
    They have to just make this stuff up. Cannot even find intelligent arguments to counteract anymore.

"We are not anti-gun," said Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence spokesperson Peter Hamm-bone. "We LOVE guns. If the wrongly-convicted constituents of the Florida State Prison, who have worked hard to be where they are and are just a little misguided due to poor toilet training but are people of the highest caliber, can have gun permits, EVERYONE should be able to have gun permits. We just want to pour a little concrete inside each barrel for a little hardening of the artillery."

Well, you'll have to gauge for yourself the accuracy of this maroon's comments and intelligence. Anything else I say is just .

-1 on Boozman outing his own daughter.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 16th, 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: wrong quotes
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links