I Thought it was actually going down today and...DO NOT WAIT TO DRAW...

This is a discussion on I Thought it was actually going down today and...DO NOT WAIT TO DRAW... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm driving down a 2ish lane road, moderately heavy traffic both directions. I'm pulling a trailer with my Ford Focus, so I'm not very ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Thought it was actually going down today and...DO NOT WAIT TO DRAW...

I Thought it was actually going down today and...DO NOT WAIT TO DRAW...

So I'm driving down a 2ish lane road, moderately heavy traffic both directions. I'm pulling a trailer with my Ford Focus, so I'm not very maneuverable (try not to laugh). As I approach an intersection at less than 10 MPH, I see a couple guys running down the middle of the road towards me (from my front). Then I can see that 2 clean looking guys are chasing a lower-lower class looking guy (a step above homeless).

They're approaching quickly, and even as I wonder if the chasers are LE or Store security from somewhere, I move my car across the yellow line to put a choke point between my car and the car going the other way (were all going slow) and honked to startle the guy. One chaser is just one step behind, and I was hoping not to create a barrier, but just make the chasee slow down for 1/2 a step and get caught. Almost worked too, But the chaser didn't get a good grip and they both passed by.

I move back to my side of the road, and get sandwiched between cars. In the mirror I can see that the closest chaser stumbled and fell, and is back up but all parties are now exhausted and the chase is reduced to walking. They managed to get turned around and were now coming up from behind, the chaser a fair distance behind now. I realize that not only are my windows down enjoying the weather, but I've done something to possibly **** off the chasee. I've got nowhere to go, so I pull my shirt up to uncover my gun (Right IWB) and ghetto-tuck it behind the holster. He's right at the back of my car and in my mirror I see him reach for his waistband and start lifting his shirt. Does he want my car for getaway? Or is he pissed that I tried to help get him caught and just want to kill me? I draw the gun, keep it low in my lap but aimed at the door. It's very visible and I do't take my eyes off his hands. I'f he starts to pull anything out I'm ready to command him to "keep moving" in the sternest tone I can muster. (don't know why I chose that phrase, but I did). If a weapon even cleared his pants It was go-time. Don't know if he saw my weapon or not (If he looked into my car he must've, I don't know because my eyes were glued to his hands), but he kept on moving. He crossed the street, approached another car and I was on my way. The last I saw the one chaser was talking on a radio and I noticed cuffs hanging out of his back pocket. Still don't know if he was security or PO-PO.

What did I learn?

1. involvement: Not sure if getting involved was a good Idea or not, although it wasn't really a cognitive thought process. I just did it. It would seem that I put myself at greater risk doing so (at first, I was just one car of many to carjack. By acting, I figure I made a bigger target of myself). I do like the idea of a fugitive being caught, though.

2. Mindset: If I had waited to draw until I decided that I needed to fire, there is NO WAY I could've drawn in time. Even if I was already ghetto-tucked, if I tried to draw after I saw a weapon for sure, I'd have been toast. Not maybe, absolutely. He was right there, heavy breathing distance from me with his hand possibly on a weapon. He could move, I was stuck.

Let me say this to any instructors out there teaching their students not to draw until you have to fire: STOP IT! PLEASE! I would've died today if it went down and I did that.

3: method of carry: Very glad I decided to put on my crossbreed and XD today. If I had been pocket carrying my keltec, no way could I have drawn in time. Keltec and belt clip: iffy. But it sure felt comforting to have a real gun in my hand. Awful glad it wasn't a .22 (I still won't relegate that caliber to uselessness, but it's WAY down on the list of calibers I want to carry)

I still don't know if the guy had a weapon. In retrospect, I guess he'd have used it on the guys chasing him if he did. At the moment though, there was no time for rationalizing. All I had time to think about was:

Here he comes and I'm not giving my life away, he'll have to take it the hard way.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Glad you were prepared.

cupcake wrote:

One chaser is just one step behind, and I was hoping not to create a barrier, but just make the chasee slow down for 1/2 a step and get caught.
    Given that you were unacquainted with the situation that was unfolding before you (i.e., why the chasee was being chased), I'm curious to know why you decided to enlist on the side of the "2 clean looking guys".

Was their "clean looks" the only thing responsible for your lack of sympathy for the "not-so-clean" person who was being chased?

Being cognizant is a large part of the scenario...nice job!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    cupcake wrote:

Given that you were unacquainted with the situation that was unfolding before you (i.e., why the chasee was being chased), I'm curious to know why you decided to enlist on the side of the "2 clean looking guys".

Was their "clean looks" the only thing responsible for your lack of sympathy for the "not-so-clean" person who was being chased?
    Sounds like a case of "economic profiling." :) just kidding of course.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Whoa. And my daughter asks why I carry a gun when I am in the car. Nothing is going to happen. HELLO!!

Glad you were aware. Me thinks if that happens to me, I will draw and just keep the gun "non-visible", too. Thanks for the tips.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I enjoy seeing images in threads on Defensive Carry, so come on, Cupcake - let's see pics of that tow rig!

Seriously though, threads like this are always food for thought, and you've just taught me a few things.

Close one

Last year I had a car come up from behind me at 1:30 in the morning flashing high beams while heading home (semi-rural long dark stretch of road). After about 7 minutes of this the road ends and I have to stop before making a left turn unto another road. No other vehicles in site.

I slow to a stop about thirty feet from the intersection and pull my XD 9mm from it's Crossbreed home. The car behind me stops and the driver gets out of the car yelling and walking towards me. His passenger opens the door and steps out. I then moved my car about fifteen feet forward to make some distance between us and rolled the window down half way to hear what he had to say.

He's yelling at me with an attitude that he's looking for an address and why didn't I stop when he started flashing me. I yelled back at him to turn around and ask at the nearest gas station, that I had no idea.

I took off and they didn't follow. They weren't going to jack me if that's what they had in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    cupcake wrote:

I'm curious too. As I said I didn't think about it, really. Everything happened in a matter of 30seconds or less (It seemed like less, I'm really guessing). It sure looked like a lot of (most of?) the chases I've seen from my security and EMS days. Clean guys chasing "less clean" appearing guys. Noone looked too young. The chasee perhaps 35ish. The chasers both about 30? Maybe part of it was my knowledge of that particular city, where I spent some time as an ambulance jockey. You get an idea for looks like a normal situation. It would have been very odd in that part of town for 2 guys in business casual to be the aggressors.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

kpw
    Pulling a trailer with a Ford Focus. Thanks for that mental image!

Thanks for sharing your situation. Definitely food for thought. I am glad you were prepared and nothing besides preparing happened.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I see I should've snapped a pic of my towing getup. Ever since I sold my truck to buy a neon, my focus is my big/utility vehicle.

I would say it is because it is basic human nature. Af there is a clean cut fellow chasing a bum, then I am naturally going to assume that the fellow that looks like he has a job and assets is chasing the bum who looks as if he would be stealing said assets.

And you know what? I'm not going to be made to feel guilty about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I'd like to see the idiot that carjacks a Ford Focus pulling a trailer! He would obviously be a Darwin Award candidate

VIP Member
    Glad your ok. Is the focus Yellow ?.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links