Positive MDSP Interaction today.

This is a discussion on Positive MDSP Interaction today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it happened. I got stopped in MD while transporting thru the state. It was about 10am when I crossed the state line. I had ...

Thread: Positive MDSP Interaction today.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Positive MDSP Interaction today.

Well it happened. I got stopped in MD while transporting thru the state. It was about 10am when I crossed the state line. I had stopped at exit 3 on I-81 south in PA to disarm, lock the gun up separate from ammo and put it all in the trunk. I crossed into Maryland headed south into WV and then to VA. I was in MD all of 5 minutes. The baby was fussing in the back seat so I reached back to grab a bottle out of the diaper bag. Doing so caused me to swerve a bit. I corrected then went about trying to get his bottle and give it to him. Next thing I know I see the lights… I thought to myself “Oh great”

I stopped and the (MD State Police) officer walked up…

Officer: “License and registration please. (Pause) Do you know why I stopped you”?
    Me: “Not really sir”
    Officer: “You were swerving; I wanted to make sure you weren’t drinking (pause looking into my wallet)

I realized I hadn’t moved my LTCF out of view in my wallet, as is standard practice when I enter MD to avoid suspicion. The officer obviously noticed my LTCF.

Officer: “Do you have a firearm in the vehicle”?
    Me: “…. I have a firearm in the trunk locked and separate from the ammo in accordance with the federal interstate transportation laws”.
    Officer: “Where are you headed”?
    Me: “To northern VA to meet with some friends”
    Officer: “Ok. Keep your hands on the wheel, I’ll be right back”
    5 minutes pass, he comes back.
    Officer: “Here are you license and registration back. Please watch your driving and reaching around, some people can be dangerous on these roads. They could hit you.
    Me: “I know sir, thanks.
    Officer: “(Pause with a friendly kind of inquiry) what kind of firearm do you have”?
    Me: “It’s a Glock 36 .45 caliber”.
    Officer: “Nice choice, I like Glocks. But hurry up and get to WV and avoid this state”. Said in almost a “Friendly I’m on your side” kind of way
    Me: “Thanks you sir, have a good day”.
    And that was that. Off I went. It’s good to know there are still LEO’s out there that respect the 2A… especially in MD.

2. Remove Ads

sounds like an awesome stop. the last time i was stopped by MSP, I had 5 cruisers and 8 troopers lined up while the first responding officer searched my vehicle against my wishes for marijuana (I hit a skunk, but he professed that his nose was highly trained and nothing smells like that).
    +1 on the "it's good to know..."

good post I enjoyed it a bunch

Holy cow. An actual good interaction with a LEO from a state that is very gun un-friendly! Now that is a first.

Congrats on blowing my mind.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I heard of skunk weed, butI know what skunk smells like,maybe he thought you were trying to disguise some smells by permeating your vehicle with skunk scent
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You got stopped in the pro-gun area of Maryland(western counties). Its the suburbs of DC and Baltimore that make the calls for the rest of the state. Glad to hear it went OK.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I transit through MD on 15/270 or I-81 all the time on the way to VA and other friendlier points south. Good info on keeping that LTCF tucked out of sight in the wallet.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    You got stopped in the pro-gun area of Maryland(western counties). Its the suburbs of DC and Baltimore that make the calls for the rest of the state. Glad to hear it went OK.

I think thats why I got lucky. I thought my day was going to go bad.

Maybe just because the state's politicians are anti-gun doesn't mean that every state employee is anti-gun... Good story, and my kudos to the professionalism of the trooper.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

VIP Member
    You have to keep in mind that you were west of I-270. That isn't really Maryland, although it is governed by Annapolis. The folks in Western MD should really break off from MD and or join WV or VA, maybe PA. They really don't fit with the eastern part of their state.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I'm sooooooooo glad I live in Utah.

The last time I got pulled in MD was for being a suspicious vehicle (rented cargo van in a neighborhood?, moved out of the state and now try to avoid it.) Anyway they decided that they had to search it because it was filled up with stuff, moving? They found one shotgun shell that must have been in there from the trip before and I got to spend about 45 minutes handcuffed while they looked for a law to charge me with having a shotgun shell.

Links