In the mean time...

In the mean time...

This is a discussion on In the mean time... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So heres the deal Im 17 years old Turning 18 soon I live in a pretty anti gun city with some very anti gun parents. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the mean time...

In the mean time...

So heres the deal
    Im 17 years old
    Turning 18 soon
    I live in a pretty anti gun city with some very anti gun parents.
    I live in a nice neighborhood and while crime isnt usually a problem it does exist.
    I carry a 3.5in folding knife and up till now some OC spray
    then i found out its illeagal for someone under 18 to carry pepper spray
    I might be looking into some martial arts classes in the future
    any ideas of what to do to stay safe and protect myself in the 4 years its going to be until im 21 and can apply for a CCW?

Focus on school.
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Martial arts is a good start. Working on situational awareness usually keeps a person out of trouble. And stay away from obvious danger situations, ie ATM at 10 pm
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Choose good friends, and choose wisely. Avoid those who go looking for trouble. It has often been said, "you can judge a man by the company he keeps."

I suspect that you're looking for advice on staying safe once an encounter has started - but if you're in a generally safe environment you'll probably want to focus on having a clean record so that you actually can get the permit when you turn 21. Any kind of weapons violation or history of fighting could be counted against you.

I know that I personally put myself in a lot of dangerous positions between the ages of 16 and 22 or so and that put me in more danger than a gun will ever protect me from.

See if your local police provide crime statistics on your specific area so you can get an accurate idea of the threats out there.

my idea of the threats out there are experiences I have personally faced, or my friends have faced.
    Experiences such as my friend being threatened with a tire iron and robbed while walking home at 9pm

martial arts is good. i also agree on your schooling as mentioned
    before. some else you can work on from a mental point of veiw
    is basic people watching(not saying that you don"t already).
    practice on your radar and whats going on in your surrounding area.
    (walking down the street,shopping,etc.)a fellow members signature
    says your brain,don"t leave home without it.basicly work on the mental
    asspect of the ccw world. i did alot of studying on ccw before i got my
    cpl. i know the laws sometimes are confuseing and vary from state to state
    but knowlegde is power. goodluck to you
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Investigate Krav Maga for the martial arts: It is NOT an "art" or a "sport", but rather the training for "being the one who walks home tonight" after an altercation. Think "scientific street fighting".

But keeping your nose clean, choosing friends well, and working on your education (school and situational awareness) seem to be the most important order of the day unless you're living in a combat zone.

Note carefully what you've done here: you've spotted a need, and sought out advice from folks who are likely to have good advice for you. That's a DELIGHT to see this behavior in ANYONE, and especially in an almost-18-year-old! Bravo! Be pleased with the character you already have, and seek to foster in yourself that attitude of recognizing one's actual position, and not trying to pretend oneself above it (=humility). You have a tremendous advantage over most folks your age (and I speak from an ex-high-school-teacher's perspective).

Wishing you the best...

travel in groups w/your friends when you can. safety in numbers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Avoid the whole gun debate with your parents. If you've made the decision to protect yourself with a firearm, then be confident in your decision and don't discuss it with them. Most likely they're not going to budge on their position, so it'll only make things worse between you and them if you bring it up.

Stay in school, get a good education and BE AWARE. Good luck!

Join the Marine’s or other branch of the military and you won’t have to wait until your 21 to carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Join the Marine’s or other branch of the military and you won’t have to wait until your 21 to carry a gun.
    in that order preferably
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I'd recommend the Draft Dodgers Yacht Club (aka Coast Guard).
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Investigate Krav Maga for the martial arts: It is NOT an "art" or a "sport", but rather the training for "being the one who walks home tonight" after an altercation. Think "scientific street fighting".

But keeping your nose clean, choosing friends well, and working on your education (school and situational awareness) seem to be the most important order of the day unless you're living in a combat zone.

Note carefully what you've done here: you've spotted a need, and sought out advice from folks who are likely to have good advice for you. That's a DELIGHT to see this behavior in ANYONE, and especially "in an almost-18-year-old! Bravo! Be pleased with the character you already have, and seek to foster in yourself that attitude of recognizing one's actual position, and not trying to pretend oneself above it (=humility). You have a tremendous advantage over most folks your age (and I speak from an ex-high-school-teacher's perspective).

Wishing you the best...
    +1 with all that Paymeister said.
    If you go the Krav Maga route, choose your school wisely. Avoid the "Black Belt Academies". Look for some where that has a long standing relationship with the Krav program. Krav is a fantastic self defense technique but, like all martial arts, has been bastardized by some corporate schools to make money at the expense of quality training.

$.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I'll go ahead and throw the enlisting option out there, it really ain't that bad of a gig.

Focus on school, get as much as you can. Stay out of jail, avoid negative police contact, avoid the drugs and alcohol.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links