Using a COM

Using a COM

This is a discussion on Using a COM within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the Social Security Administration today. Federal building so I figured it would be best to leave my gun in the car. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a COM

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Using a COM

I went to the Social Security Administration today. Federal building so I figured it would be best to leave my gun in the car.

I have a COM. After parking the car, I took out my COM and transferred my firearm into it. I attached the cable to a bar under the seat, locked the COM and placed it under the seat and went in.

After I realized that I still had my magazine in my coat pocket, I figured it would be best to take that out, too.

Transferring the firearm to the COM was at best awkward. There were lots of people in the parking lot. Reaching and fiddling and staying in the car for several minutes after I parked I am sure would attract the eye of LEO or undesirables.

Is there a "best practice" for performing this ritual? I felt uncomfortable with all the fiddling around with so many people able to peer over to my vehicle. How do other people do this?

Oh, as a side note, on the way out, I notice an entire board dedicated to the posting of notices banning firearms and other types of devices INCLUDING pepper spray. Ooops. I noticed that it is illegal to kill or attack a federal employee (dang, I am not a federal employee, so I didn't feel as safe) and IIRC I did not notice loaded magazines as a prohibited item. I could have left my magazine in my pocket, but I better not bring pepper spray in.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    My wife puts her Kahr in a COM everyday when she gets to work. I have one in my truck as well. We both leave them install at all times. We both leave them unlocked until we place a firearm inside. In both cases the cable is long enough to allow the COM to be placed on the edge of the seat. So we just slide the COM out and place it on the edge of the seat, place the firearm in the COM, lock it, and place it back on the floor. When we get out we check to see it is in the proper location. If not we adjust it.

As with most things, if you act furtive or as though you don't want others to see what you are doing you increase the likelihood that they will. Just do the deed and don't make a big deal of it and most people will not notice.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    I have a COM car gun safe too. No one seems to notice me staying in the truck for a few minutes. Maybe having a truck puts me high enough people can't seen in as easily , since I keep the gun low.
    My buddy uses a rag to conceal his gun from the holster to lock box.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    My wife puts her Kahr in a COM everyday when she gets to work. I have one in my truck as well. We both leave them install at all times. We both leave them unlocked until we place a firearm inside. In both cases the cable is long enough to allow the COM to be placed on the edge of the seat. So we just slide the COM out and place it on the edge of the seat, place the firearm in the COM, lock it, and place it back on the floor. When we get out we check to see it is in the proper location. If not we adjust it.

As with most things, if you act furtive or as though you don't want others to see what you are doing you increase the likelihood that they will. Just do the deed and don't make a big deal of it and most people will not notice.
    I must say +1. Pretty much the same procedure here. I do a quick 180 check to see if anybody is looking and I place the gun in the COM safe, lock it & goes under the passenger side seat.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    My COM resides under the rear of the drivers seat. I reach behind, bring it up to my lap, slip my weapon from my IWB into the COM and lock it while on my lap. Then just reach around and slide it back under the seat. Takes me less than 30 seconds with not a lot of movement at all. I use it every day at work.

If I encounter a crowded lot I will sometimes stop at the far end before I park or stop before I even enter the lot and make my exchange, both coming and leaving.

If a LEO did see me (so very not likely to happen) and wonder what I was doing... so what? I would gladly explain to him/her exactly what I was doing. They're the good guys and so am I!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The majority of sheeple are blind to the fact that you are even in your car, don't worry about it.

Take a quick look around, make sure no one seems "overly interested" in what you are doing (if they are, chances are they aren't a good guy) and make the transfer. It's also highly doubtful a LEO is going to question why you were sitting in your car for an extra 30sec's-1min, if they do, either answer honestly, or tell them you were listening to something on the radio.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

My COM is under the back seat...hard to find. When exiting the vehicle, I pass the weapon back between the seats and then get out of the car and open the rear passenger door to finish putting the weapon in the safe and under the seat...no one can see a thing.

I do the reverse upon my return to the car.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have I ever told anyone here that I'm an avid fan of window tint? Here's one of the reasons right here. Also--if I'm intentionally going somewhere, then I've made a plan. What would I do in this situation---pull over at the nearest car wash, rest area, or take the opportunity to transfer my firearm into the secure lock box at the last five minute traffic light before I get to my non-ccw friendly destination.

I just feel that passing ccw to back seat then getting out and placing in lock box, sliding lock box in proper place then viewing placement to make sure it isnt visibile by others, then turning around and locking vehicle, etc. is putting me at more of a risk than anything.

I thought my (as a female) main thing to do when in parking lots is to not be distracted away from being observant to my surroundings. I guess most of the replies from yall are fine if your male, but are not if your female. First, there is a greater chance someone will be watching a female when she is sitting in her car/suv/truck. The could have noticed her since before pulling into the lot. Second, if she is attractive to the person that saw her, he will continue to watch her. 3rd, now she is either flipped around in vehicle securing her weapon in vehicle or standing outside bending into the vehicle for a minute or two while doing this.

I have my lock box in the console of my truck. It barely fits but it does. My husbands doesnt fit in his console so he has to shove it between the drivers seat and the console. But either way we are able to secure the ccw in the box within seconds and it looks more natural when doing so. I dont care if just using the cable and not mounting it to the floor causes it to get stolen. I will replace it. But what is the odds? Its a lot higher something else will happen to it than getting stolen the 1 or 2 times a month I have to leave it in the box.

I just dont feel comfy going through the trouble of locking it under the passenger or back seat when I can do it in my lap then place it in the console or between the seats or even under the front. Dont over think it, and I agree, no one is watching a guy in his car out in the middle of a parking lot, but they are a woman.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If a LEO did see me (so very not likely to happen) and wonder what I was doing... so what? I would gladly explain to him/her exactly what I was doing. They're the good guys and so am I!
    Very well said. Fortunately for me, about the only time I have to stow my pistol is at work. I keep my COM under the arm rest in my truck. I just lift the armrest up, slip the pistol in and lock it up. Just do what you have to do and no one will notice.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

When I'm in certain places and would rather:

a) not draw attention to myself
    b) not be an unarmed sitting duck in the car for 15-30 seconds both getting out and back in.

I just put it in the glovebox while still driving, several blocks out. It may be "less secure," but at least the car is no more a target than any other. Let certain people see you stash something under the seat, and when you come back you'll find:

a) window smashed
    b) broken glass where you car used to be. Once they realize that there is a safe under the seat they might just take to whole car until they can get the safe open.

+1 on keeping it cabled all the time. I just wrap the cable around something and feed one end through the other "eye." Then just stick the loose "eye" through the little space for it and leave it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Wouldn't be nice that if one day we didn't have to handle that firearm unnecessarily just to make others feel safe?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Wouldn't be nice that if one day we didn't have to handle that firearm unnecessarily just to make others feel safe?
    Tru Dat!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Does anyone else have this problem? I have a COM. But I drive a Lexus RX 300. The COM will not fit under the seat!

Suggestions?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? I have a COM. But I drive a Lexus RX 300. The COM will not fit under the seat!

Suggestions?
    But a Toyota!

Okay okay, can you slide it between the seat and the console?

Also, you could put it under the floor mat on the passenger side.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links