Left it at home.

Left it at home.

This is a discussion on Left it at home. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a big one on "any confrontation with me is an armed confrontation", because I am always carrying. Well tonight I decided to go drinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left it at home.

Left it at home.

I'm a big one on "any confrontation with me is an armed confrontation", because I am always carrying.

Well tonight I decided to go drinking with a friend and left my 9mm at home. Told the wife, "there is a 9mm right here all you have to do is pull the trigger"......and off I went.

Why?

In New Mexico it is illegal to take a firearm into any place that sells alcohol. This means that I am commiting a felony crime, as a concealed carry licenced citizen, carrying my weapon into a quicky mart to buy a coke, if it sells alcohol.......and they mosty all do.

Any hows, we consumed two pitchers of beer, and then rode our bicycles home.

I carry every day, and don't feel that even though I am impaired, that I would act any different then if I was not impaired. I would only draw as a last resort in a worst case scenario.

I guess that not everyone is like me though, and that we basically can't trust people to control themselves with firearms and a normal part of life; alcohol.

Venting the rational of when and where it is legal to carry.

crankin(a bicycle) in NM
    Last edited by crankinNM; April 20th, 2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: left some words out......spelled impared wrong

GPS
    It just seems to be a basic fact of life that guns and alcohol should not mix. Down here, we can carry into a quick mart or even a restaurant, but not any establishment that makes most of its money selling alcohol for consumption on the premises and we darn better not be found carrying in any situation with alcohol in our systems.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

VIP Member
    Can't carry into a stop and rob? I just dont understand it.

Here in texas as long at least 51% of their sales have to be alcohol or we can carry in unless the owner posts a 30.06 compliant no firearms allowed sign
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    In most states, you can get a DUI/OMVI on a bicycle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That exactly was my very first thought and I was going to post as much, until I scrolled down.

Operation of any vehicle/conveyance while under the influence is an offense. Even in a row boat.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    Also even though you don't feel impaired your reaction times, judgment and rational can become impaired depending on how much you drink.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The laws have been changed!

Yup, you can now carry (if you have a ccw) into a convenience store
    that sells alcoholic beverages in New Mexico as long as no alcoholic
    beverages are consumed on the premises.

You still can not carry into a bar or restaurant that sells alcoholic
    beverages for on premises consumption. And you can not carry if
    you are doing the consuming, no matter where you are.

Check here: New Mexico DPS | Concealed & Carry Information

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post

I carry every day, and don't feel that even though I am impaired, that I would act any different then if I was not impaired. I would only draw as a last resort in a worst case scenario.
    Thats why the call drunkeness impaired.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In New Mexico it is illegal to take a firearm into any place that sells alcohol. This means that I am commiting a felony crime, as a concealed carry licenced citizen, carrying my weapon into a quicky mart to buy a coke, if it sells alcohol.......and they mosty all do.
    WOW that is weird I thought for sure you meant places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, not stores until I read OM44 post and checked the link. At least your state is going in the right direction. I would hate to have to disarm just so I could eat, that must have really sucked. In WA carry is prohibited in places or areas of an establishment that prohibits minors. Personally I see no reason to prohibit carry in any bar, nightclub or any public place where alcohol is served as long as you are not drinking and carrying. It's not like the BG disarm in bars or stop and robs as KentuckyCarry pointed out.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Not exactly accurate. According to the NM website, this section of the law changed on 07/01/2007. You can read the text from the link or below.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
    Section 1. Section 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1975,
    Chapter 149, Section 1, as amended) is amended to read:
    "30-7-3. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A FIREARM IN LICENSED LIQUOR ESTABLISHMENTS.--
    A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:
    (4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act; provided that the licensed establishment does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;

You can't be serious saying this!!!! While I'll be the first to argue that merely going into a place that sells alcohol shouldn't prevent you from carrying, once you start to imbibe, the gun should be locked up with your car keys. Alcohol impairs your cognitive functions -- and that's a fact. Alcohol & guns (just as alcohol & automobiles) don't mix.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Stupid question...technical though...what if you were on a bicycle built for two, and the person in front was NOT drinking...could you get a DUI? (person in back can pedal, but not steer)???????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Lets see, if you drink to you are impaired, you can not ride a bicycle, car, paddle a row boat, how do you get home??? If you call a Taxi, and walk out of the bar to get in, now you are guilty of public intoxication, if you don't leave to avoid all of the above possibilities, now you are guilty of trespass. WOW ARE YOU EVER SCREWED. Who'd ever thought!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stupid question...technical though...what if you were on a bicycle built for two, and the person in front was NOT drinking...could you get a DUI? (person in back can pedal, but not steer)???????
    I dont know!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now that's an interesting designated driver setup.

On a serious note - Maybe guilty of public intoxication?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links