A no-no for carry - has to be. - Page 2

A no-no for carry - has to be.

This is a discussion on A no-no for carry - has to be. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Q-ball Don't lie Euc, I know that's your funky way of dancing. Kinda like the 'Elaine' dance on Seinfeld. No I only ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A no-no for carry - has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    Don't lie Euc, I know that's your funky way of dancing. Kinda like the 'Elaine' dance on Seinfeld.
    No I only do it once or twice. I promise.

I only know two dances. The Charleston and the Funky Chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Second to worse is oblivious wandering/driving while talking on a cell phone.

In N.Y.S. driving while on a cell is illegal. Not here in F.L.

I hear driving while on a cell is as much a distraction as driving drunk. Its like every kid in town has one permanently attached to their ear. On the other hand The other day I saw a cute girl driving a nice 70's Camaro, with a bumper sticker that said "get off the phone and start driving!" I wanted to propose marriage on the spot :love:.
    I talk often on the cell while driving, but I have a hands free headset. Some people are going to be distracted with the radio, newspaper, PDA...you name it, people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I only know two dances. The Charleston and the Funky Chicken.

Sweet.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Exclamation Distractions = Victimhood

I'm sorry, Walkman; I-Pod; whatever...that's stuff for my students to play with (and me to confiscate in class); not for ME. Just not my era. I much prefer books to relax with and I never relax in a mall or anywhere I'm on the move especially with my wife. Anybody wearing such a device is in condition "WHITE" and begging to be victimized. As Clint Smith says....If you look like prey...you will be eaten.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

i've had two close calls the last few years that would have had worse outcomes had i been plugged into my headphones.

first was before i had a gun, but i did carry the industrial sized canister of bear spray. middle of winter, icy roads. i'm walking home late at night. oddly enough the batteries to my cd player died so i was walking in silence. i hear something approaching fast behind me, but it doesnt sound like footsteps.
    i turn around and see a pit bull charging me, now hes about 20 feet away. my turning around caused him to veer off course and he skids by me. i pull my spray out, the dog is circling me. he gets within 10 feet and i give him a face full of spray. which he proceeds to sneeze off without so much as a whimper. i spray him again and do something i never do: run. as fast as my fat legs can take me.

had my batteries not died, i'd have been bitten, probably more than once.

more recently, i was walking home, chose not to put the headphones on (i dont learn from past mistakes that easily, can you tell?), and came close to getting mugged. my ability to pay attention to surroundings and more importantly hear what was going on around me helped me stay on the defensive and get out of the situation without drawing my gun.

Assistant Administrator
    Spiffy - say after me - ''Yellow is better than white - Ok you are alert but sure as heck even partial impairment of hearing can be less than useful - instance the alternatives with your two episodes.

I reckon - dead batteries are way better than dead Spiffy!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    only wear headphones when I have the earmuffs of working around loud stuff. Wouldn't hear anything anyway.

I dont listen to them. I used to years ago, but even then I only used one earplug/muff so I could hear what was going on around me.

Of course, it took getting nailed with a baseball for me to realize I shouldn't block out the outside world with headphones...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links