A no-no for carry - has to be.

This is a discussion on A no-no for carry - has to be. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just an observation, nothing more. Slipped into town just now - yep, to gun shop (got to pickin' up Gary's old SIG 220 at last) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A no-no for carry - has to be.

Assistant Administrator

Just an observation, nothing more.

Slipped into town just now - yep, to gun shop (got to pickin' up Gary's old SIG 220 at last) - and school buses were around unloading here and there.

Kid gets off bus OK but then after walking some way decides to cross street. Darned near got hit by a car.

Well first off and obviously, she did not look properly but second - she was wearing a Walkman type deal and so probably could hear about zilch around her.

Got to me thinking that if there is one thing for sure not to be mixed with carry - it is these Walkman deals or derivatives thereof. No way can folks hear properly what is in their local environment.

I have always disliked the isolation factor for years and never used one but sure seems like it'd be one fine way to enable condition white!

Can't somehow see any of the crew here using one!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Naw wouldnt be the hot tickit plus you might be targeted just for the device most of which are ipods now i use one in work van that plays though radio since rest of stuff actually on radio sucks

Administrator
    It really bothers me to see people (both male and female) jogging in the evening and after dark while listening to music.
    Sometimes the music is so loud in their head/ear phones that I can hear it 5 feet away.
    They are not aware of anything going on around them.
    It amazes me that people actually work so HARD at being potential victims of violent crime.

Its surprising how close you can get to one of these droid with the ipod on. You are right, they work real hard at becoming isolated and then don't consider they are also becoming vulnerable.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Senior Moderator
    +1 - What you guys said!

VIP Member
    I don't like walkmans. They scream "Hey, mug me - I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings." iPods are trendy targets for thieves. A teenager was killed for his a while back.

The only thing nifty about headphones is that when I'm really busy at work and have them on (but I'm not listening to anything), it actually dissuades co-workers from bothering me. I get uninterrupted work time.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Here's a test. I don't make a habit of it, but I clap my hands and snap my fingers when wearing headphones. If I can clearly hear the clap and the snap, the volume is fine. Else, it's too loud.

VIP Member
    I'm waiting for the Peltor iPod.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

i guess this is one area where my personal habits fit in fine with ccw. I ONLY like music when i am driving, and even then, not very loud. When i am walking, shopping, biking, at work, etc, i prefer it dead silent.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

FLM
    I listen to my Walkman when walking the dog. However, I use earbuds, not earphones and can hear external noises pretty well. Also, I'm in condition yellow, not white. Not too many people are going to bother me when I'm walking a 110 lb dog anyway.

OD*
    Not too many people are going to bother me when I'm walking a 110 lb dog anyway.
    Good point.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Here's a test. I don't make a habit of it, but I clap my hands and snap my fingers when wearing headphones. If I can clearly hear the clap and the snap, the volume is fine. Else, it's too loud.
    Don't lie Euc, I know that's your funky way of dancing. Kinda like the 'Elaine' dance on Seinfeld.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Second to worse is oblivious wandering/driving while talking on a cell phone.

In N.Y.S. driving while on a cell is illegal. Not here in F.L.

I hear driving while on a cell is as much a distraction as driving drunk. Its like every kid in town has one permanently attached to their ear. On the other hand The other day I saw a cute girl driving a nice 70's Camaro, with a bumper sticker that said "get off the phone and start driving!" I wanted to propose marriage on the spot :love:.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    A lot of people who listen with headphones tend to have it too loud. Years ago I was a safety professional and had a sound meter. Walked in on my then-teenage son one day and slipped the probe under one of the headphones. Can't remember the numbers, but I proved to him that the sound level was high enough to cause permanent damage after not too many hours. Miraculously, he wised up and stopped.

I agree that a walkman or Ipod or whatever can distract you and prevent you from hearing properly. However, such a thing will prevent you from stopping short after hearing "Excuse me! Ya got a dime?"

Now that I think about it, I lost count of how many shoplifters I have called to within reach completely oblivious as to who I was simply just by asking if he had the time....lol

It's easy for ones mind simply wander and not pay attention to what you are doing.

I dare say we ALL have had to slam on our breaks, stop just short while walking, outright bump into somebody or even have somone else get our attention when somebody 2 feet away asked us a question without us wearing a walkman.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links