Is it worthwhile to get licensed in as many states as you can?

This is a discussion on Is it worthwhile to get licensed in as many states as you can? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have CCW licenses for two states, and Ive heard its pretty easy to get them for a few more by just sending in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worthwhile to get licensed in as many states as you can?

I have CCW licenses for two states, and Ive heard its pretty easy to get them for a few more by just sending in a nominal fee.

Is it a statement to state governments to continue supporting CCW programs?

I'd probably only do it if the permit I already had wasn't recognized in as many places as the permits from other states (presuming that you have intentions of going places that don't recognize the one you currently have).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    No, not unless it will benefit you in some way. If you travel to states that issue or will recognize a NR license from a third-party state, go for it, otherwise you are just wasting your money.

Nobody in state gov't keeps score.

I guess I kind of thought of it as a way to represent. If a state considers some anti gun law, they might look at how many CCWs they have and just MIGHT change the wording a bit if they saw 200k licensed instead of 50k

Other than the normal "if you have to travel there and don't otherwise have a permit"... I'll also answer with: Maybe, just maybe, a state that forbids CCW in the future would grandfather you. In that case, it might be nice to play craps and have a bunch of permits in hopes that if one does outlaw CCW, you'll be able to continue carrying in said state at least until your permit expires.

We are pretty well screwed in Connecticut, with Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey as neighbors we really can’t carry legally outside our borders. The out of state permits are very hard to come by, if you can get them at all. If you do get a permit you still have to lock the gun in your car, separate from your ammunition. I just say the hell with it and carry anyway. If I have to go to jail because I saved someone in my family or myself from harm so be it.

Senior Moderator
    If you do get a permit you still have to lock the gun in your car, separate from your ammunition.
    He's talking about a concealed carry permit. A permit that allows you to carry a handgun on you, complete with ammunition.

In most states, you dont need a permit to own or buy a gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    CT Kid,

Sorry but you are terribly mis-informed about both MA and RI (depending on your "destination"). I suggest some reading on the subject before drawing conclusions. You can start with each state's pro-gun rights org for pointers to correct info.

VIP Member
    I would probably only do so if I intended to travel there in the future. If I have no plans to travel, I don't see the need to. If you travel a bunch, then it would be a good idea.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Here is a file that has all the non-resident rules and costs in one place. http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

They also have an interactive map so you can analyse the cost/benefit for each permit.

Let us know what you decide and why.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I would think carefully about carrying without a valid permit. One might claim ignorance of the law by saying I though I could carry in your state with my permit, but likely you are going to be charged with as much as a felony and the cost associated with defending it. On the other hand, if you are carrying well concealed and not foolishly the chances of being caught carrying illegally have to be very remote I would think. Nontheless, it is not for me. I am hoping that NRA will eventually lobby an interstate recognition treaty, same as for drivers licenses. It seems silly that I have seven permits and can only carry in 35 states. And FLA and CT wont even issue a permit to me as a US citizen? BS. I call BS.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    I guess I kind of thought of it as a way to represent. If a state considers some anti gun law, they might look at how many CCWs they have and just MIGHT change the wording a bit if they saw 200k licensed instead of 50k
    Please PM me, I have a used car that I'm selling...slight water damage, new upholstery, great price...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    I would think carefully about carrying without a valid permit. One might claim ignorance of the law by saying I though I could carry in your state with my permit, but likely you are going to be charged with as much as a felony and the cost associated with defending it. On the other hand, if you are carrying well concealed and not foolishly the chances of being caught carrying illegally have to be very remote I would think. Nontheless, it is not for me. I am hoping that NRA will eventually lobby an interstate recognition treaty, same as for drivers licenses. It seems silly that I have seven permits and can only carry in 35 states. And FLA and CT wont even issue a permit to me as a US citizen? BS. I call BS.

I don't know what you've been told or by whom, but if you are a U.S. citizen Florida WILL/MUST issue you a license if you meet the very clearly spelled out criteria. Doubt that?, then call the Ag. Dept. State of Fla...licensing division.
    Last edited by CopperKnight; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

i live in PA and can carry into WV with my PA permit, but i do alot of fishing in Maryland and looked into getting a CCW there, more or less on the off chance i would have a run in with like a bear or something... that was soon shot down once i read there laws on CCW

it seems that is more trouble than its worth to get permits for other states, though i would still like to be able to carry incase i would need to defend myself or my family while traveling or taking vacations. but it seems hardly worth it for say a week long trip

I'm from New York, NY I can't even carry here & I possess

Connecticut
    Florida
    Maine
    New Hampshire
    Utah
    Virginia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links