Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA - Page 2

Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA

This is a discussion on Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is a very well written letter! I would be interested in seeing the reply, if you are even given one. I will add that ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA

That is a very well written letter! I would be interested in seeing the reply, if you are even given one.

I will add that this may not be corporate policy, just an idiot manager who is making $12 an hour.

Either way, I cannot wait for a response.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

If your husband is currently an active duty Marine, I would have hit the manager with this:

I have every right to carry wherever I wish; unlike you, safe in your "gun free" zone, I can and will be called at any time to take up arms in your name, and go risk my very life in the defense of you and yours. How dare you tell me what i can and can't do sir. I would say this in a loud enough voice so that any bystanders would hear. Then I would make an issue of it with the press, saying that the manager in question does not support our troops. If you get the press involved, that will get plenty of the kind of attention that manager does not want, not to mention soldiers, who will boycott that place big time.

Just some suggestions, because a lone letter hits the trash very easily with little fanfare.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Although I agree with the stance, letter and the whole nine yards, I also support the business's right to run the joint as they please. I understand some in VA enjoy making a specticule out of themselves, so I would understand if the managment would want to stop any of that stuff before it got started.

I wouldnt go back if it were me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Although I agree with the stance, letter and the whole nine yards, I also support the business's right to run the joint as they please. I understand some in VA enjoy making a specticule out of themselves, so I would understand if the managment would want to stop any of that stuff before it got started.

I can't force someone to change their policy any more than they can force me not to carry. The unfortunate reality is that such establishments DO have the right to turn people away from their property. BUT I should have the right to CHOOSE whether or not I wish to give them my business. By not posting their policy at the entrance, they sort of take that right to choose away from the customer and that was my issue with them.

We left without a spectacle and told the manager we'd never come back - just like my wife mentioned in the letter.

We just found an article in which Randy Norton (CEO of Great American Restaurants) was quoted saying "All our restaurants are family restaurants. We have kids, and we just don't need people wearing guns in restaurants,"

Gun Rights Advocates Plan To Bring Guns To Fairfax Restaurants - News Story - WRC | Washington
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease."... Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    That is a very well written letter! I would be interested in seeing the reply, if you are even given one.

I will add that this may not be corporate policy, just an idiot manager who is making $12 an hour.

Either way, I cannot wait for a response.
    The only thing I would ask be considered is that there a lot of people who do not make $12 an hour but wish they did. I don't think that is germane to his being an idiot. I know some who make six figures that fall into the same category.

Best regards,
    Jerry

I suppose that the subject matter of the letter will never be an issue in most states including my state of Texas which does not allow open or concealed carry in bars and taverns.

However, the subject of the letter story does present a good reason for concealed carry -- Lawful concealed carry allows management and staff to pretend that there are no firearms around so that they can feel secure. It also gives them the opportunity to feel some collateral sense of security without having to admit that a concealed carry permit holder might turn out to be their best benefactor some day.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    The only thing I would ask be considered is that there a lot of people who do not make $12 an hour but wish they did. I don't think that is germane to his being an idiot. I know some who make six figures that fall into the same category.

Best regards,
    Jerry
    That was not meant as an insult, and apologizes if it was interpreted as one. It was simply an example of restaurant manager I know who is an idiot.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Excellent letter! Please post any response you get. You handled the situation well, despite being put into an awkward position. BTW - welcome to the Forum and THANK YOU BOTH for your service and sacrifice!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Outstanding letter. More of us should follow suit and simply chose to not do business with any of their establishments.

I too would really appreciate it if you would share their response with us - if one should ever find its way back to you and yours.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

I don't wish to offend you, but your statements are on the fringe of what the antis contend.

Certainly we agree with the business owner's freedoms, but the emphasis is on pointing out that there is an economic consequence to their policy.

I find it hard to justify such a policy based on the thought that "...some in VA enjoy making a spectacle of themselves..." That seems to me like a broad brush indictment of the carry community. Wouldn't it be more along the lines of our thinking here to encourage carry being permitted because "some in VA may want to harm or kill others?!"
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I don't wish to offend you, but your statements are on the fringe of what the antis contend.

Explain that one to me...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    That was not meant as an insult, and apologizes if it was interrupted as one. It was simply an example of restaurant manager I know who is an idiot.
    I agree that there are too many like him. I cannot fathom that they cannot think that whether guns are plenty or few, the BG will get one, ignore the law, and wreak havoc on those who cannot defend themselves. And they are determined to make sure no one can defend themselves. Yes, idiot is a good word.

I did not think you meant it as an insult. Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

I personally believe in concealed carry,for "surprise" factor I don't want to be in a situation where a robbery occurs and BG's see gun and take me out,I also will not go in a business that does not allow me to carry unless I cannot avoid it and then i'm in and out as fast as possible.I believe that positive communication is the key and as more violent crimes occur more people will wake up and smell the gunpowder,I think some owners think that people that carry have a gunslinger attitude and they don't want their premises to be an ok corral,If we can win their hearts and minds by pointing out that we are not like that and that when you omit law abiding citizens from carrying in their business they present a victim zone.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's what I say to the crowd that says any manager or any business owner may tell me or anybody what to do in their establishment because I am tired of hearing about property owners' "rights":

If you are going to limit or prevent my ability to protect myself from attack or robbery while I am on your premises, then I want to know what YOU are doing to provide adequate security protection for myself and my family.

Where is your armed guards? I want to see them right now. I don't care about the police being a phone call away. I want to see your preparations now. What is that you say? you don't have any? Just a "corporate policy"?

What are you going to do then when someone comes in here wishing to do us harm? get on your knees and beg? I choose to protect myself, all the time, every time.

And where is it said that property rights subrogate civil rights? if this were completely true, we would still have slavery. Hopefully after the Heller case is decided we can start targeting establishments with lawsuits and put some of these people out of business so us normal folks can protect ourselves.

Sorry about the rant, but I am sick of hearing about the omnipotent corporate Americana.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    duk, I don't know of anyone here in Virginia that prefers to carry open. It is something that is forced upon us by the prohibition of conceal carry in resturants that serve alcohol. Given the choice I conceal, but if the choice is carry open, or go unarmed I well carry open.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links