Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA - Page 3

Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA

This is a discussion on Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent letter....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Asked to leave Sweetwater Tavern in Centreville VA

Excellent letter.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    SIXTO, I'd be interested in who you are referring to when you say "I understand some in VA enjoy making a specticule out of themselves, so I would understand if the managment would want to stop any of that stuff before it got started."

Been there

Brilliant letter! I've been there, but never carried there. I'll avoid the place now that I know better.

God bless you and your better-half.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's what I say to the crowd that says any manager or any business owner may tell me or anybody what to do in their establishment because I am tired of hearing about property owners' "rights":

If you are going to limit or prevent my ability to protect myself from attack or robbery while I am on your premises, then I want to know what YOU are doing to provide adequate security protection for myself and my family.

Where is your armed guards? I want to see them right now. I don't care about the police being a phone call away. I want to see your preparations now. What is that you say? you don't have any? Just a "corporate policy"?

What are you going to do then when someone comes in here wishing to do us harm? get on your knees and beg? I choose to protect myself, all the time, every time.

And where is it said that property rights subrogate civil rights? if this were completely true, we would still have slavery. Hopefully after the Heller case is decided we can start targeting establishments with lawsuits and put some of these people out of business so us normal folks can protect ourselves.

Sorry about the rant, but I am sick of hearing about the omnipotent corporate Americana.......
    I'm a Virginian, but also an American. I don't like it when places like Sweetwater decide they don't want my business, but it IS their right as property owners. I just CHOOSE not to patron their establishments and then I try to get as many like-minded individuals to do the same.

As far as I'm concerned they can put a sign out front that says they only prefer one eyed, one horned, flying, purple people eaters on the premises. You still have the CHOICE as to whether or not to go in and spend your money.

The issue with plowing over property rights like this one, is that once you start...you're on that slippery slope. Without property rights this country ceases to be free and everything it was founded on is null and void. If you don't understand the importance of property rights (whether we like the owners decision or not) read Atlas Shrugged. If you can't find a copy locally check online...better yet, if you can't find it, I'll send you my copy! The pages are a bit worn, but that's because it's been passed from person to person and it's been read a LOT.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Was your husband drinking alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Was your husband drinking alcohol?
    Definitely not!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease."... Think about it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    SIXTO, I'd be interested in who you are referring to when you say "I understand some in VA enjoy making a specticule out of themselves, so I would understand if the managment would want to stop any of that stuff before it got started."
    I dont know who they are or what they call themselves, but I'm talking about all the threads and news stories I've read about these guys who target businesses and areas they know they are not welcome to force the issue and generally make a specticule out of themselves.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont know who they are or what they call themselves, but I'm talking about all the threads and news stories I've read about these guys who target businesses and areas they know they are not welcome to force the issue and generally make a specticule out of themselves.
    I've not heard of any of this, so I'd be interested in seeing some of these threads and news stories if you could offer them. Again, this sounds like the wide net that the antis cast when they speak against carry.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I think that you letter was fair, well-written, and to the point.
    I might have paid, if I had been completely finished with dinner, but if interrupted before finished, I too, would have walked out.
    I applaud your efforts to write and express your feelings to the management...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I've not heard of any of this, so I'd be interested in seeing some of these threads and news stories if you could offer them. Again, this sounds like the wide net that the antis cast when they speak against carry.
    Really... you need to stop suggesting that I am an "anti". To me, you doing this sounds like someone who has run out of rational arguments to support their position. Go ahead cast that wide net...

A while back there was several open carry threads going on here, and a group was forcing issues in VA, I forgot what they calll themselves now. Do a search, they will turn up if the were not deleted because many were so goofy and often resorted to childish name calling. (Anti)

That said, I agree 100% with the OP and her husband as I stated in my first post in this thread. If that business doesnt want them as customers, dont go back. Why is that such a bad thing?If you feel that it is unsafe without your gun... dont go. Perhaps if thats the case, you shouldnt go with or without.

If I didnt want someone as a customer, I like the idea of being able to tell them to get lost, and I think you might like that right too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by DickSki View Post
    I "All our restaurants are family restaurants. We have kids, and we just don't need people wearing guns in restaurants,"
    Gee! I hope that policy applies to robbers, and mass murderers as well as honest people.

Seriously that open carry law makes no sense at all. I know a lot of people like and support open carry but I'm not one of them. To me it's like pasting a sign on ones back saying "When the killing starts kill me first as I obviously pose a danger!"

Aside from that I can even see the CEO's point. In areas where guns are not commonly seen someone carrying openly might have kids brought up on TV all goggle eyed and questioning. If I was having a nice family dinner with children I'm not sure I'd care to see open carry with the kids looking at that instead of enjoying the meal. But count on it ,my gun will be with me, just not openly.

DickSki, do let us know about any response you get. Your letter is a good model to follow for such incidents. Thanks again for portraying the carry community with such class!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm a Virginian, but also an American. I don't like it when places like Sweetwater decide they don't want my business, but it IS their right as property owners. I just CHOOSE not to patron their establishments and then I try to get as many like-minded individuals to do the same.

As far as I'm concerned they can put a sign out front that says they only prefer one eyed, one horned, flying, purple people eaters on the premises. You still have the CHOICE as to whether or not to go in and spend your money.

The issue with plowing over property rights like this one, is that once you start...you're on that slippery slope. Without property rights this country ceases to be free and everything it was founded on is null and void. If you don't understand the importance of property rights (whether we like the owners decision or not) read Atlas Shrugged. If you can't find a copy locally check online...better yet, if you can't find it, I'll send you my copy! The pages are a bit worn, but that's because it's been passed from person to person and it's been read a LOT.
    It's too late to worry about property rights. Now that the supreme court has said a government has the right to take your property away from you and sell it to a rich businessman we are already on that slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by DickSki View Post
    We left without paying. They have a "no-guns" policy and we have a "we don't pay if we're told to leave" policy :)
    You wrote a good letter to the restaurant.

Your refusal to pay for services rendered is not setting a good example. They could have had you arrested for failure to pay. That relects badly on all responsible gun carrying folks (because guns are what started this whole confrontation).

Be firm in your convictions, but don't break the law to prove a point.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Great letter with the facts, and now we all know what the policy is at these establishments. And as others have said please keep us posted as to any reply. Thanks for sharing with us too.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links