Old Hickory Mall, Jackson, West Tennessee

This is a discussion on Old Hickory Mall, Jackson, West Tennessee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the letter that I wrote to the mall's management. I figured I'd cc it to this forum as well. [Agave] [his address] [his ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Hickory Mall, Jackson, West Tennessee

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Here is the letter that I wrote to the mall's management. I figured I'd cc it to this forum as well.

[Agave]
    [his address]
    [his town in West Tennessee]

22 April 2008

Old Hickory Mall
    Mall Management
    2021 North Highland Avenue
    Jackson, TN 38305

For the attention of the general manager

Dear Sir or Madam:

On the afternoon of Tuesday 15 April I visited Old Hickory Mall and was inside the mall for approximately one hour. I picked out an expensive pair of sunglasses and intended to leave and return immediately with the funds to purchase them. In the parking lot I spoke to a friend on the phone as I prepared to leave on my motorcycle. While I was on the phone, a security guard in his vehicle stopped and asked if I were a police officer. I politely told him that I am not a police officer and continued my conversation. He then got out of the vehicle and told me that it is illegal for me to carry my handgun on the property. I let him know that he was incorrect per Tennessee law and hung up on my friend when he pressed the issue.

Moments later, a lady wearing an alternate uniform, presumably head of security, came out and again I was incorrectly told that I was breaking the law. Very shortly, three more security guards approached. The lady then instructed me to lay my sidearm on the walk and I told her that I was not going to do that. The group attempted to encircle me while I put my helmet on and said that I wanted to leave. I evaded the circle and they moved to stand around my motorcycle. Then she informed me that the police were on the way and said that she had the authority to arrest me. She also said that she wanted to see my handgun carry permit and I declined.

A man in plain clothes then approached and presented his badge to let me know that he is a deputy sheriff. I complied with his instructions to remove my sidearm and show my permit as three Jackson officers arrived at the scene. As the deputy and the head of security collaborated, one of the officers told me that I was not doing anything unlawful.

The deputy returned my permit card and my sidearm and said, “Since you didn’t leave when they asked you...” and I interrupted and told him that (i) security asked me to leave, (ii) I said I wanted to leave, (iii) I tried to leave, (iv) and they wouldn’t let me leave. He then told me to not return on that day and to not bring my gun when I did return. The gathering then dispersed and I left.

I review the website > the security polices of the mall. I find it ironic that the list of “suggested safety tips for shopping” is right before the code of conduct which contains “we ask all visitors to refrain from the following…” rule #20 “Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.” It then goes on to say “this “Behavioral Code of Conduct” is not intended to deprive any person of their applicable civil rights or liberties under the law.” Frankly, your policy against my handgun does not help ensure safety and does violate civil liberties and a fundamental right for one to defend himself. As a rule, I do not go to places where I am not allowed to defend myself. The Old Hickory Mall is now on that list.

In liberty,

[Agave]

cc: Aéropostale, American Eagle Outfitters, Belk, F.Y.E, Gloria Jean’s Coffees, Hat World, JC Penny, Sears, Sears Auto Center, Sunglass Hut, George B. -WNWS News/Talk 101.5 FM
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am not surprised by the ........... stupidity of people. Enough said.........for now anyway.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Update us if you get a response.

I wouldn't turn over my firearm to mall security, either. I'm just glad that the responding LEO were level-headed and knew the law.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

It sad that we are seeing more and more ignorance out there as to what we can and cannot do. Its also sad that people will recognize several others of our freedoms and rights while denying us the simple right to bear arms and defend ourselves.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

If your a rent-a-cop pretending to be a LEO the least you could do is know the law. The fact that they tried to"arrest" you showed that some people don't know how to handle authority. All they should have done was to ask you to leave and the let you leave and that would have been it. I will add that you should try and not be as obvious next time. If a rent-a-cop can make you then you must be printing pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by airworthy View Post
    If a rent-a-cop can make you then you must be printing pretty good.
    Oh he didn't make me. On my bike I generally carry openly in my SERPA for a variety of reasons. And I don't believe in half way concealing it; that is what looks suspicious.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

*cough*lawsuit*cough*

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Were the $5.99/hour guys carrying? Thank the Lord you didn't have to draw down on them if they lunged at you for your firearm......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

One of the bigger malls here in New York (The Hudson Valley Mall, Kingston), has this posted, in very small print, at the entrances, and also on their website:

======================
    No Weapons Allowed
    The possession of any weapon, unless authorized by local, state, or federal statue [sic], is prohibited.
    ======================

So, if I have a legal CCW, including permit issued by the State of New York, does that meet the criteria of "unless authorized by local, state, or federal statute"?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Am not a lawyer but I understand it that way..I mean, the permit is issued by the state, no?! It would cover local and state..by all mean if anyone k n o w s feel free to correct me..

Well, since they put up a sign with that goofy-arsed spelling error, I would just say that a local, state, or federal statue in a park told you it was okay.

-JT

May we assume that you will be shopping elsewhere?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Jeez, I would have checked into whether that lady was in fact a law enforcement officer; After all, she said she had the authority to arrest you didn't she? I would have demanded to see a badge, and when she could not produce it, I would have done a quick citizens' arrest for impersonating a law enforcement officer, or at least demanded that charges be filed against the cop-wannabe.

I also would have drawn on them the minute they tried to encircle me. My reasoning would be that there are fake security guards....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I would have called the cops myself..the were unlawfully detaining you.Kind of like kid napping.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Clacky, that has crossed my mind and is still not out of the question. I do have pressure from family and other individuals.

HudsonValley, The security guards were not carrying, at least openly. (A former friend worked that job and he concealed in spite of the rule.) Had they become violent, I would have ran. I wasn't willing to let them get close enough to me to snatch it. I kept moving away from them as they inched closer.

edr, I asked her if she were an LEO and she refused to answer. That's as good as a plain out "no."

99, like I said in my letter, I will not go to that mall unarmed. If they would like to invite me back along with my .45, I'll likely return for those sunglasses.

The first gentleman is older and I believe that I could have overpowered him, but really didn't want to. When the lady came out and said that the police were coming, I decided that I would rather deal with it right there instead of the JPD hearing lies and being on a hunt for me had I gotten away. I didn't express that to them though. I kept telling them that I wanted to leave.

One of the JPD guys told the lady that it was not properly posted and if she wanted she could put up proper signs. She said "well, we don't want to do that."

The two best parts to this whole story are (i) when she told me that I was going to take it off and lay it on the sidewalk (ii) one of the JPD guys asked me what I was carrying and responded "nice."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links