OCing = frightened sheep!

This is a discussion on OCing = frightened sheep! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my way back to work yesterday at lunchtime, I picked up a young lady who was hitchhiking w/a gas can. She hopped in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCing = frightened sheep!

On my way back to work yesterday at lunchtime, I picked up a young lady who was hitchhiking w/a gas can. She hopped in the truck and told me her car was a few blocks down the road. (she already had the gas can filled) Suddenly, she looked down and noticed the G23 on my belt. She got this look of absolute terror and was hugging the door. I honestly thought she was going to jump out while we were moving. I continued to make casual conversation and drove her to her car. When she got out, I asked her if she'd like me to wait until she got it started. She quickly said "NO, that's OK..."
    So I shrugged and told her to have a nice day and drove off.
    AZ is an OC state. I can't believe that someone would be that frightened by a well-dressed IT geek carring a gun.
    Last edited by JD; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    lol... poor woman! You should have said something to put her at ease. She is probably emailing brady bunch right now about the gun-toting-psyco who picked her up when she ran out of gas...

When I was maybe 14, I grew up in California and was in AZ on vacation with my family and I saw a guy at a gas station open carrying for the first time. It's a shock if you are not used to seeing firearms. The stupid media scares the stupid sheep into fearing guns...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    At least she learned that the presence of a handgun does not automatically precipitate a violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    The stupid media scares the stupid sheep into fearing guns...

I could not agree more. The only thing they report is bad news about people being picked up and robbed, raped, and murdered. If that is all the see or hear, then they assume all gun carrying people are psycho killers. Poor .
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The gun vs. the gun owner

Many people seem to be unable to distinguish between the openly carried gun and the intent of the person carrying the gun. They view the gun as the threat, when the important factor is the intent of the gun's owner.

I have been around guns all my life, and the sight of one does not affect me. I focus my attention on the person who is in possession of the gun, and try to estimate their honesty, competence and intent. I don't fear an honest citizen with a gun. I do fear a criminal or unstable person with a gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have been around guns all my life, and the sight of one does not affect me.
    Same here. I lost a job one time because of my casual attitude about guns. I had borrowed my step-dad's 1911 for some target practice, and was heading to work after that. I didn't want to leave the gun in the car, so I brought it inside (locked in a case) while I did my airshift at a radio station. I was fired a few weeks later just for bringing it into the building.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    At least she learned that the presence of a handgun does not automatically precipitate a violent crime.
    I doubt she learned anything of the sort. It happened that way, sure, but in order to actually learn one has to have an open mind and understand the lesson. I'm sure all she "learned" was this: that "psychos" are everywhere. More or less, it's what folks have been taught to learn from such encounters, given the simple fear-mongering presented in the media.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i agree that you might have said something to her to set her mind at ease...she was probably already scared to take a ride, and it was unfortunate she had put herself in that position. I hope my daughter has the foresight to not put herself in that position someday....
    A simple, "Hey don't worry..I have a license for it...I'm one of the good guys." would probably been enough to make her fell better...
    just my .02
    Thanks for picking her up and being a good citizen.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

People still pick up hitch hikers??? Maybe even more concerning is that people still hitch-hike. Then they are surprised to learn that they don't know whether the other person is capable or willing to do them harm? I'm pretty sure that being on either side of the thumb is illegal in MI anyway, and doing either seems like a dangerous game.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Agreed Cupcake, and that is the real lesson here.

Most probably the hitchhiker will 'learn' that doing so has real risk which it does. As well she'll learn to keep a better eye on her fuel tank level as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I think the better answer is just to pass a Federal law that makes it a felony for a person who is legal to carry a firearm to pick up hitchhikers.

Since (as stated above) we should not pick up hitchhikers anyway and (as is obvious by reading the above) some hitch hikers could get really super frightened if they see a firearm...then I think a No Hitchhiker Law would be a worthwhile law that would be mutually beneficial...both to the people who carry a gun and to the people who could potentially get scared when they see one.

I never pick up hitchhikers anyway so it wouldn't bother me at all if the government made it illegal for us to pick up hitchhikers.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think the better answer is just to pass a Federal law that makes it a felony for a person who is legal to carry a firearm to pick up hitchhikers.

Since (as stated above) we should not pick up hitchhikers anyway and (as is obvious by reading the above) some hitch hikers could get really super frightened if they see a firearm...then I think a No Hitchhiker Law would be a worthwhile law that would be mutually beneficial...both to the people who carry a gun and to the people who could potentially get scared when they see one.

I never pick up hitchhikers anyway so it wouldn't bother me at all if the government made it illegal for us to pick up hitchhikers.
    I am hoping that I am supposed to read this with some sarcasm...but just in case I am wrong here is what came to mind regarding the last sentence.
    "I never use firearms anyway so it wouldn't bother me at all if the government made it illegal for us to own/purchase firearms."

Just because some of us do not practice something, or doesn't feel it is right, does not mean it should be made illegal, or the government should get involved.
    I don't like smoking, hate sitting near the smoking section of a resturant, but it shouldn't be illegal.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    I admit I ran out of gas one time. That's when I realized the gas gauge on my old pickup was actually empty when it was reading just under 1/4 full.

I was on the side of the interstate and one exit away from home and the gas station. I had just started walking, and a maroon minivan pulled over. I mulled it over. I don't like riding with strangers, but I had an extremely dangerous overpass to walk over with little to no shoulder to walk on safely. I figured I risked getting hit by a car more than getting kidnapped, and I had the means and ability to defend myself.

So I took the ride.

Turns out the guy was a Kurdish immigrant and was a rather pleasant person. I knew little about him, but he knew little about me, too.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    When I OC I make sure to be extra polite, so people will see that even know this guy has a gun, he just held the door open for me, or still has his manners, and hopefully will show them just b/c we carry doesn't mean we are raging lunatics with firearms. I see myself, while OC'ing, as an ambassador for responsible gun owners everywhere, and I take it extremely serious.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

when i was a younger teen i always dismissed people i saw oc'ing as plain clothes detectives, now i know better and it's still never bothered me. but i LOOK young, so i guarantee i would get comments oc'ing my xd tactical lol. i'd rather have the element of surprise anyway--better an unsuspecting BG try to mug me and have his career come to a sudden stop than to victimize several others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links