Defensive Carry banner

FL CWP Stats.

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  spooter66 
#1 ·
Statistical Reports - Division of Licensing, DOACS

I thought the stats published here were very interesting and worth a look in case you get into a discussion and need some stats to BS with. :haha: When you start glancing over reports like these sometimes something just jumps out and grabs you. For me it was the number of permits revoked in the South FL area compared to the rest of the state. I'lll leafe that as an exercise for you but it appears that the total number of permits revoked since the start is about 0.3%. That figure would be insignificant in most cases but I could see the Brady Bunch making this look like WW III. Check out the figures for Dade, Palm Beach and Broward counties. :aargh4:

#2 ·
I am amazed that Broward County, liberal, antigun and with 600K people less than Dade got almost as many applications.

#3 ·
Wow! Out of over 1.3 million licenses issued since 1987, only 165 were revoked because of firearms used.

That means that only about 1 out of every...er, umm, let's see, taking off my shoes and socks...hang on...only 1 out of every 7878 licensees committed a violent act with a gun. Hmm, that would be
.01269%.

We sure are a dull bunch.

#4 ·
I'd be curious to know the rate for LEO's...

We already know that the rate for non-permit holders is through the roof...

#6 ·
Nearly a 1/2 million active licenses in the Gunshine State!

:urla9ub:

#9 ·
I would guess at most 15 % on a regular basis.
That ,unfortunately, means that the other 85% rarely train in defensive shooting.
But, of course,the BG's never know which group they are facing.:theyareontome::dead:

#11 ·
This is very good and relevant info to have!!!

<Bookmarked>

Not only is it from a major state with multiple major metropolitan counties but it's also got a very diverse cross-section of people as based on ethnicity, age, and social bases (degree of wealth).
Next time someone like say...OBAMA (!)...has to say asinine crap like guns in citizens hands will only result in killing, murder, and increased suicide et. al. then one can very easily point to this state based and sourced citation of proof positive to the opposite.
If only more states would provide this kind of information and stats.

There is just no rational argument with substantiative proof to argue against citizen ownership of guns nor citizen carry.

- Janq

#12 ·
Janq,

I absolutely agree...except for one thing.

We keep trying to talk 'logic' and 'facts' to people who could not possibly care less about the truth. The phobia or the out and out lying is just too strong to actually be able to think about this issue for so many.

Alan Korwin, I believe, has it right. When he spoke at a gun control symposium at Duquesne U., he used emotion to try to get through. He followed Tom Mauser, whose son was killed at Columbine, and who spoke while wearing his son's shoes. Extremely emotional to follow.

Yet, he followed with a story of a woman who awakened to find a knife-wielding, ski-masked intruder in her home. While crouching behind her bed, on the phone with 911, she had to shoot the guy until he collapsed. The police arrived 9 minutes later.

He then asked, "Would you deny this woman her right to live by taking her gun away? Isn't the message, 'if it saves one life?"

Those kinds of stories are the ones we need to memorize, in order to put faces and names to those who would otherwise be defenseless against a more power aggressor with the element of surprise.

Logic may help after. Emotion will win the day.

Just my $.02.

#13 ·
Mike,

Quid pro quo, I am a reformed or as Obama would say and is oft to advise a person of "change".
I used to be anti-gun. I used to be anti-2A. And I used to be anti-citizen carry.
The reason why? Upbringing, lies, emotion, and ignorance.

I was brought up in a very much anti gun household. My sister and I were not allowed to possess anything even remotely 'gun' like not even squirt guns nor to make gun fingers. My dad was a DC cop and my mom grew up in the sticks of southern MS on a farm amongst her father and brothers who then were hunters. Both of them had nothing good to say about guns. Always stories of so n' so once shot the family cow mistaking it for a deer (mom) and the only people who have guns are criminals and cops (dad). He owned a Crosman BB pistol that he'd kept stored in a box in the closet high on a shelf. We were never ever allowed to touch it. Of course in my early teens it got touched a lot, on the sly. Why?! Because it was there.
In church to which I grew up amongst (grandfather was a southern baptist minister) always it was talk about how guns (!) kill people. Guns are evil. Guns are a scourge of our people. Black people in specific. I've got 5 cousins who have been shot (MD and DC) and myself I'd once been mugged by a gun wielding person, once caught on the streets of DC amongst cross fie and seen first hand a kid get shot in the head right next to me as my friends ducked. We held his head, and his brain matter. I've seen multiple times persons shooting at each other and have been in clubs when shooting would break out. From age 7 my mom taught me how to fight, to make and carry a slingshot with marbles for 'bullets', and she'd send me off to school and around the block for milk armed with a pocket knife. She told me once that every man should have a good sharp knife. I've kept that as a rule in life since she told me that the summer of 1977. Contrary I know but hey I was a child then and in my house and the world then you did what you were told and minded your parents (for the most part), or you suffered.
Then there was all the garbage I'd see in movies and TV and in fiction books toward guns and gun play and how like magic a gun in a mans hand would change him some way. Very often for the worst.

FFWD to my late teens and the DC crime scourge is in full blast.
By now most everyone I know family, friends, neighbors, they all have guns be they in MD or DC (!). Why? Because those who did not often times would find themselves being victimized with no other means of survival but to run and hope the BG is a bad shot. That didn't work out well for a number of people I know/knew (died). I've been lucky and blessed with quick feet, a calm demeanor under stress, and a good amount of luck and divine intervention.

FFWD to age 21 and I bought my first gun, a Sig P226 and began to carry.
I did so not for fun but out of necessity and desire to survive.
It wasn't until I hit my 30s that I began to think on my own toward this subject and question my upbringing, emotion, the so called 'facts' I'd been told and taught prior which I now know were largely well meaning _lies_, and to confront my own functional ignorance. Hell I didn't even at that time understand fully how it was that a gun actually worked, in specific.
So as with most other topics or interests of mine I went on a mission to learn.
The result of that is where and who I am today on this subject. Change. 180 degrees of as much.

I agree with you 100% only because I've been there and was that guy.
Thank goodness though for myself and now at age 37 for my own family and children I am educated and aware, and logical.
My house is run very differently than that which I grew up in. My kids have squirt guns, dad has all kinds of 'guns', both my 5 yr. old and 20 mo. old knows that dad shoots, trains, carries, and at the suggestion of my wife, gunfu friends,
and this past Monday one of my gunfu course instructors I'll be looking into becoming a certified firearms instructor. I now actively try to share what I've learned and spread the truth toward counteracting the lies and 'emotion'.

In my own case and home logic won the day, along with truth.
I'm still emotional though. Emotional about the truth and logic and not being duped by lies.
Information such as this from Florida, which I am completely jazzed about!, is irrefutable evidence that those from the other side of the fence including the former 'Me' were and are completely wrong, for whatever individual reason or reasoning they might have.

- Henry

#14 ·
More info for those who don't like to read through stats...

The state of Florida was the second state to introduce state wide 'shall-issue' concealed carry licensing in America. Washington state has had same since 1961 but it's a statistically small state. Florida on the other hand has had as much since 1987 and in over 20 yrs. the blood has _not_ been flowing in their streets by the hands of lawfully owned gun holders nor by specifically persons licensed by the state to carry concealed firearms.
Florida unlike Washington state is a major statistically significant state with multiple metropolitan areas as well as an extremely diverse population in age, tax base, ethnicity, beliefs, and background. It is in effect a roughly 1:1 representation of America at large, so say the U.S. Census Bureau; Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

One should read through this information in whole on their own but here are a few quick snap shot stats as sourced from the data...

Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Division of Licensing

* 1,346,074 license applications received since 1987
* 1,328,991 licenses issued since 1987
* 490,760 total 'active' licensees current as of 03.21.08

* 7,907 applications denied
2,852 denied due to criminal history
5,055 denied due to incomplete application submitted

* 4,179 total licenses revoked
66 clemency rule change or legislative change
10 illegible prints with no subsequent applicant response
514 crime prior to licensure (meaning after license was applied for but before license was approved and issued)
3,468 crime after licensure
165 revoked since 1987 because of unlawful/criminal firearm use in specific
121 other
505 licenses reinstated (Statistics regarding number of licenses reinstated not maintained prior to January 1990.)

* 18,089,888 Florida population - 2006 estimate
Source - Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The next time someone, anyone, tries to argue that citizens should not have access to guns and that in specific licensed citizen concealed carry is dangerous and that it just leads to crime and criminal victimization by said lawfully permitted/licensed persons and that blood does and will flow in the street, then simply point them to this very detailed report of proof that their assumption is completely and utterly wrong.

- Charles H. Bronson, Commissioner, Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Division of Licensing

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations." - Barack Obama, April 2, 2008
Candidates' gun control positions may figure in Pa. vote - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.