Monroe County NY Pistol Permit.

This is a discussion on Monroe County NY Pistol Permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the permit papers here and I just wanted to make sure I am filling them out correctly. It asks for a reason. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lopadrino79

Thread: Monroe County NY Pistol Permit.

I have the permit papers here and I just wanted to make sure I am filling them out correctly. It asks for a reason. I was just going to put target shooting. Does this sound ok? I mean I dont want to get denied, (I have no records and my references will be excellent) but I dont wanna throw away $90 either.

Thanks.

Also, if anyone knows... do the references have to be residents of the same county you are applying in?

2. Remove Ads

I would put down self defense of self and home including hunting, target shooting. If you just ask for 'target', that's what you might get.
    You have a constitutional right to bear arms for self defense.

Joe

There are 2 choices, carry concealed or Possess on Premises. he said I should choose carry concealed, that way both are covered.

Is there any possible issues I could have for self/home defense as a reason? I dont live in a high crime area but I live in the same county as Rochester, NY which is a moderate crime area.

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Ask for concealed carry. If they say no to that then they will give you one with restrictions such as for hunting and target only. If you live near Rochester check out Dave Jenkins at www.safein rochester.com. He has a great site and offers some very good training.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I've spoken with NYS Police and they recognize a 'Carry' as just that. I don't know how liberal the judges are in your county so I'm not sure if SELF DEFENSE would be acceptable to them. My Pennsylvania and New Hampshire say SELF DEFENSE, but we in NY don't have that luxury. Mark down: Hiking, fishing, hunting, bicycling...Judge might turn around and say, "I may as well give you an UNRESTRICTED and save all the typing"
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I am in Rochester(Greece) and received my permit last year. I put target/range shooting and self defense. You want the carry concealed and make sure you fill everything out in BLACK PEN. Make sure your references fill out and sign in BLACK PEN and if you read the instructions really well it says that you need your references to be in MONROE COUNTY, no LEO or military, no family members,noone in your household. Make sure your references are good because I promise they will call each and every one of them. They will also talk to you. You want to make sure that you are aware of gun safety and tell your back round investigator that your guns will be stored properly. I have a little bit of a smear in my past on my record and received my permit in 4 months. I could not use my roomate since I obviuosly live with him and they called him also to make sure he was comfortable with firearms in the home. (its his house) Good luck and let me know if I can be of more help.
    A.J. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beardog View Post
    Ask for concealed carry. If they say no to that then they will give you one with restrictions such as for hunting and target only. If you live near Rochester check out Dave Jenkins at www.safein rochester.com. He has a great site and offers some very good training.
    PS- I highly agree with this poster. I have attended two of Daves classes. Both were excellent. NY does not require a safety course but you should have one anyways. Dave is also on this forum, I am sure he will be posting soon.

I'm in the city of rochester and i put my permit in last year and still haven't received my permit. I've called the office so mini time that they know my name.Then they started to say they are not sure whats going on so they given me the number to the officer that handles the paperwork so i called him and he told me to call him back in 2months so i did then he told me to call back in 6weeks so i did then he told me he's the only one that's handling all the paperwork for the permits in rochester and his will not hire him some help. It's going on 2years and i haven't heard anything yet i wish he would give me some notication eitherway so i don't fill like i did all i did was for nothing by the way losing $156.00 twice

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I'm in the city of rochester and i put my permit in last year and still haven't received my permit. I've called the office so mini time that they know my name.Then they started to say they are not sure whats going on so they given me the number to the officer that handles the paperwork so i called him and he told me to call him back in 2months so i did then he told me to call back in 6weeks so i did then he told me he's the only one that's handling all the paperwork for the permits in rochester and his will not hire him some help. It's going on 2years and i haven't heard anything yet i wish he would give me some notication eitherway so i don't fill like i did all i did was for nothing by the way losing $156.00 twice
    That's one way of enforcing gun control.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Get an out of state permit that has recip, will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Swmainframe View Post
    Get an out of state permit that has recip, will that work?
    No this won't work. No other permit is recognized in NY. Talk about reviving an old thread.....I wonder if the OP got his permit?

Links