Positive LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Positive LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not trying to add to the large amount of "I Got Pulled Over" threads, but I feel that I should share a positive experience. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive LEO Encounter

Thumbs up Positive LEO Encounter

I'm not trying to add to the large amount of "I Got Pulled Over" threads, but I feel that I should share a positive experience.

A coworker and I were returning to the office from a job site in a company work truck. I noticed that local LEO pulled in behind us and he proceeded to follow us for a mile or two. I hadn't committed any traffic violations that I knew of and the truck had just been re-licensed, but he stopped us anyway.

I shut off the truck, sat with my hands readily visible on the wheel and waited for the young officer to approach.

LEO "hows it going today?"

Me "fine"

LEO "I ran your tags and they are coming up expired, did you just get them renewed?"

Me "yeah, just yesterday actually"

LEO "do you have the paperwork"

I gave him the paperwork and he looked it over. Once he was satisfied that the truck was legal he gave it back.

LEO "do you guys have your IDs"

My coworker handed me his licence and I gave it to the officer along with my drivers licence and my non drivers licence with CCW endorsement.

LEO "why did you give me both of these?"

I then pointed out the CCW endorsement on the non drivers licence.

LEO "oh, ok..." handed the non drivers licence back to me "do you have it on you?"

Me "yeah"

LEO "ok"

He didn't even bat an eye. Just walked back to his car to run our licences and returned a few minutes later.

LEO "thanks for showing me that, most people don't say anything and I have to ask them about it later"

Me "I just figured it was common courtesy"

LEO "thanks, I appreciate it. have a nice day"

That's how it's supposed to go.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    A coworker and I were returning to the office from a job site in a company work truck. I noticed that local LEO pulled in behind us and he proceeded to follow us for a mile or two. I hadn't committed any traffic violations that I knew of and the truck had just been re-licensed, but he stopped us anyway.
    That's how it's supposed to go.
    I disagree, wholeheartedly. He followed you for no reason other than you were in a company vehicle. Sounds like he was bored or looking for some additional revenue.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

ah very good

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I disagree, wholeheartedly. He followed you for no reason other than you were in a company vehicle. Sounds like he was bored or looking for some additional revenue.
    I guess I should clarify. I was mostly talking about the stop. I agree that he was probably bored and I was kind of annoyed that he followed us like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you tell pretty quickly if the tags are expired? They change the color of the sticker each year, and if it is past the current month, it would only take a second or two to figure this out. My guess is the LEO saw this quite quickly, then ran the tags to see if there were any other problems, since someone driving with expired tags will not infrequently have "other things" going on as well that the LEO might want to be aware of before making the stop.

I am not an LEO myself, but I'm basing my assumption on the multitude of stories I've heard my best friend tell me who is an LEO.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you tell pretty quickly if the tags are expired? They change the color of the sticker each year, and if it is past the current month, it would only take a second or two to figure this out. My guess is the LEO saw this quite quickly, then ran the tags to see if there were any other problems, since someone driving with expired tags will not infrequently have "other things" going on as well that the LEO might want to be aware of before making the stop.

I am not an LEO myself, but I'm basing my assumption on the multitude of stories I've heard my best friend tell me who is an LEO.

The tags were current. We just renewed them yesterday. Just not in the system yet.

He didn't jump up and down and then empty your gun and give you the bullets back to you in a plastic bag?
    Yep, sounds like a fairly good experience to me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    The tags were current. We just renewed them yesterday. Just not in the system yet.
    I was wrong, and hereby stand corrected...

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Administrator
    It was pretty clear what the PC was for the stop...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like he was bored or looking for some additional revenue.
    Its odd that I have never heard one single cop ever talk about looking for additional revenue. Am I missing something here?

I see it on posts all the time, but I have yet to have a conversation or even hear of one about revenue.
    I feel so cheated.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

kaz
    There's a thread on officer.com's forums (I'm pretty sure that's where it was) about this. It's rare and officer won't disarm you, from what I read. Most of the ones that chimed in were very admant about *I'm going to take your gun for as long as I'm dealing with you and I don't care who feels what about it since it's not against any laws or protocols for me not to*.

The Officer was doing his job, and he acted professionally. Excellent work.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    There's a thread on officer.com's forums (I'm pretty sure that's where it was) about this. It's rare and officer won't disarm you, from what I read. Most of the ones that chimed in were very admant about *I'm going to take your gun for as long as I'm dealing with you and I don't care who feels what about it since it's not against any laws or protocols for me not to*.
    That is exactly the sentiment expressed to me by my LEO friend. Now, he works in WI, so that's not all that surprising. But he did say that, unless a part of a future carry law there were to change what he is allowed to do (or not do as the case may be), he would act exactly the same way even when a person was carrying legally.

I want to ask him if he'd do the same to an off-duty LEO that he pulled over, but this is my best friend, and we have a clear difference of opinion on this topic. I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but I am not going to push it just for the sake of getting an answer...

maybe we should make the playing field even and have the leos disarm if they want us to disarm they dont know who we are and we dont know who they are a badge does not make you perfect even though i have heard some that think so but im not buying it

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It was pretty clear what the PC was for the stop...
    I'm sorry, from the post I can't figure out what the PC was for the stop. Please enlighten me.

I hope you aren't saying that the probable cause was:
    1. He saw a company truck.
    2. He decided to follow it.
    3. License plate showed current and brand new stickers.
    4. He was bored so he figured he would run the plates, anyway.
    5. The county system was not up to date.
    6. He pulled them over because his system was out of date.

Is this what I so clearly missed? Because I still say it's ridiculous.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links