CCW in the Mall (For You Legal Types)

CCW in the Mall (For You Legal Types)

This is a discussion on CCW in the Mall (For You Legal Types) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local mall, in Kingston NY, has the following posted on their website, and is included on a small sign outside the entrace (with all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW in the Mall (For You Legal Types)

Question CCW in the Mall (For You Legal Types)

My local mall, in Kingston NY, has the following posted on their website, and is included on a small sign outside the entrace (with all the other no-no's):

"The possession of any weapon, unless authorized by local, state, or federal statue [sic], is prohibited.

Now, my question is, since I have a legal CCW, issued by the State of New York, aren't I authorized by the State? The State of New York says that I am legally allowed to CCW.

I'm not sure that's what they meant by their wording. I think they were referring to LEO's, etc., but I interpret it differently.

Would love to hear your take on it.
    Last edited by JonInNY; April 24th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I'd say your good to go with a CCW.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would second that...at least from at Texas view point.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    "The possession of any weapon, unless authorized by local, state, or federal statue [sic], is prohibited.

You are authorized by the State of New York. That should be good enough.

VIP Member
    I agree with what others have said, but I suppose you should answer the following before you truly feel "good to go": how supportive are your local sheriff, other LEOs, and your local prosecuting attorney of firearms rights?

With a carry license you are authorized by the state. Carry away!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

What does the Concelaed carry permit law of New York say about denying entry to people carrying concealed?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    My local mall, in Kingston NY, has the following posted on their website, and is included on a small sign outside the entrace (with all the other no-no's):
    Now, my question is, since I have a legal CCW, issued by the State of New York, aren't I authorized by the State? The State of New York says that I am legally allowed to CCW.
    I'm not sure that's what they meant by their wording. I think they were referring to LEO's, etc., but I interpret it differently.
    Would live to hear your take on it.
    Sorry,but You have Limited Rights Any Time you are on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

If a legitimate representative or employee of the owner notices your weapon and
    asks you to leave - YOU MUST LEAVE - or risk a charge of Trespassing.

If another shopper sees your weapon - you may be explaining to the POLICE
    why you Ignored the sign..............

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    "The possession of any weapon, unless authorized by local, state, or federal statue [sic], is prohibited."
    You have a valid carry permit issued by the state of NY. So you fulfill the requirement they spell out in their posting. If they do not want CCW Permit holders to carry they need to reword their sign. I would carry until the posting changes, and definitely would NOT bring it to their attention. As the old saying goes "Ignorance is bliss"

Again,

What does New Yorrk law say about stopping people from carrying a concelaed handgun on their property?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I suppose you should answer the following before you truly feel "good to go": how supportive are your local sheriff, other LEOs, and your local prosecuting attorney of firearms rights?

BINGO!!

PM
    Does NY have the "GUNBUSTER" signage. In Kansas there is a sign that means "No Concealed CArry allowed"; it is a picture of a gun with the red circle and slash. If New York has one and the mall is not posted it is up to you if you want to be the test case!!

This is why I love the 30.06, takes out all the guess work.

To me, it sounds like they are specifically allowing licensed concealed carry. Otherwise they would have put up a general "no firearms allowed" sign.

If you have a legal CHL, you are legally carrying, yes. Absolutely. They might well interpret it differently if pressed, but that's their problem, not yours. And yes, your local sheriff/police chief and district attorney might well be retentive in the extreme, but legal is legal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicLabRat View Post
    What does New Yorrk law say about stopping people from carrying a concelaed handgun on their property?
    This is from the NY Code (I carry an unrestricted CCW):

A license to possess a handgun serves also as a license to carry unless restricted. If there are no restrictions written on the license, the licensee is permitted to carry a handgun, loaded or unloaded, concealed, on or about his person. An applicant for a license to carry must be required to show, in addition to the requirement for possession, that "proper cause exists" for the issuance of such a license; for example, for target shooting, hunting, or self-defense. The license can be amended to include one or more additional or different handguns. The licensee is required to carry the license on his person at all times when carrying a handgun. Possession of any "loaded" rifle or shotgun in a vehicle is illegal. A loaded handgun may be carried in a vehicle by a properly licensed individual. ("Loaded" means loaded in magazine or chamber. A loaded handgun means one for which the person possesses ammunition.)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links