Girlfriend NOT happy about me carrying - Page 7

Girlfriend NOT happy about me carrying

This is a discussion on Girlfriend NOT happy about me carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not exactly in the middle of gun country here, and people always ask the same two questions. Is it loaded? and, why do ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Girlfriend NOT happy about me carrying

I am not exactly in the middle of gun country here, and people always ask the same two questions. Is it loaded? and, why do you carry that? My girlfriend has gotten over it by now, but she used to ask me in church, are you carrying, and I told her about the time up in VT that a guy opened fire in a church a few years ago with an AK-47, then I told her but that was way out in the country on a sunny Sunday morning, so that could never happen here in our little town. And she stopped bothering me about it. So they eventually get over it. Better to have it, I tell her, than to say oh I wish I had a gun right about now.

Her perception of things is not your reality.
    Keep in mind that reality doesn't change with a whim. It is what it is. Deal with it ... or not. If not, then rest assured that the violent felon will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am in charge of security for our church. One Sunday at lunch my best friends wife and my wife were making light-hearted jokes about me always carrying a gun. Neither are against it but they were having fun with me. Later that night during a large conference we were having, some suspicious characters came in and guess who wouldn't leave my side! People quite often don't see why someone would need to carry a gun until put into a circumstance that makes it a reality.

Just like us telling someone to be careful on the interstate. Why, they say, I haven't ever gotten into an accident there? Oh okay, then don't be as careful. Same line of reasoning. The person has never needed a gun before, so they will never need one. Great reasoning.

Two statements come to mind regarding the OP, "Always carry, never tell(dont remember who's signature that is) and "It is better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it." As others have said, this is not an issue to ever compromise on. Simply tell her you WILL carry and she either accepts it or you two go your separate ways. With a good holster, you can carry all the time and she would never know unless she physically touches you. Right now I carry a Glock 21 IWB and I can conceal it with a t-shirt one size bigger than normal. I also carry handcuffs, a badge, a folding knife and a small LED flashlight as I am a LEO. My wife doesn't even bother to ask anymore. She knows that I carry. Only time I do not carry is if I am going someplace and know beforehand that I will be consuming alcohol, which is rare. (special events, anniversaries, etc)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Tell her to get over herself. Her perception of things is not your reality. She don't want to carry ? Fine. She don't want you to ? Tuff.
    Pretty much sums it up!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

B52
    If she won't support you and your beliefs LEAVE NOW!!! Fortunately, my wife shares my ideas and beliefs that we must be able to defend ourselves, and she is hot to boot. I truely am a blessed man...

Any updates on the situation?

I've been talking with my GF about getting a CPL for the past few months. She's used to me having guns, and she hasn't ever said anything to suggest she doesn't approve of me carrying, even after I went and applied for my license. Then last night I mentioned that my IWB holster should be arriving any day now, and she says "What? You mean you're going to be carrying all of the time? In public?!?"

Uh oh.. Here we go...

Rifter my wife was caught off guard like your GF but I wouldn't be too worried. She acclimated to it doesn't even think about it any more. I think once you start carrying more they realize if they can't tell how the hell would anyone else! If she's used to you having guns and isn't intimidated by that then you're in good shape I'd say.

Well I'm NOT happy with her opinion.

For us, I kept ranting off daily about potential "What if those characters over there decided to come up to us, what would you do exactly? What if they started hollering across the parking lot that they wanted to talk to us, then started running at us full speed?" Or while we're kayaking, boating or canoing....what if a couple rednecks (no offense intended) were coasting by on the water and decided to try to shore us all the while hollering sexual expletives? Then I say...."SERIOUSLY...just imagine for a second if that happened to us...any idea what we'd do?" Lots of situations like that I brought up for quite some time and Holly couldn't help but agree that it was a good idea to carry. And hence my signature which I like to spout off all the time to her, haha.

It was funny, we were biking the other day on the river path and passed 4 questionable looking characters who were stopped along the side. They stared as we rode on by.....I asked: Any "what if" situations pop into your mind right there?" She said: "They sure did".

Boy, I'm glad we carry now. That's all I have to say.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Zach you are so correct sir. I would rather have it and not need it as to, need it and not have it. Kind of like a parachute or fire extinguisher. When you need one, you need it very badly.

Shoot safely.

Dump her now

It doesn't get any better, just more nagging.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links