Indiana Lifetime permit question

This is a discussion on Indiana Lifetime permit question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I'm finally going to get my permit next week and while I've lived in Indiana for most of my 28 years, I have ...

Thread: Indiana Lifetime permit question

Hello everyone,

I'm finally going to get my permit next week and while I've lived in Indiana for most of my 28 years, I have moved around a lot in State lately since my wife and I were doing a fresh out of college entry level jobs (6 places within the last 4 years). I'm hoping now that we have a house and a new daughter life will be less nomadic but I am a flight instructor and Indiana isn't the best place in the world for the job. I've been reading the Indiana permit laws and don't think this will be an issue but I want to know if anybody has first hand knowledge with this.

If I move away from Indiana and get another resident permit in another State that doesn't recognize Indiana's, will my Indiana permit still be good when I move back to Indiana?

Thanks!

Dude, it's Indiana we're talking about here..the State that was Shall-Issue when Shall-Issue wasn't cool!

I have lived in Japan continuously for the past 10 years...occasionally popping back home to Indianapolis to see the folks, and renew my CHL. I had to disclose the fact that I live in Japan, but keep a legal residence at my brother's place the last time I renewed my permit. This was because I had to submit my application a few days earlier than the normal 90-day(?) window they give for renewal prior to expiration. The lady was kind enough to take my application after I told her my situation, with the warning that they may kick it back due to it being too early. It went through with no problems, and I carried last time I was home in 2006. I will be in town in July and I will be going for my lifetime permit as well. Only Vermont and Alaska have Indiana beat for being pro-CCW/2A ... so don't sweat it!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

It's hard to actually define what a "resident" is, I would at least want my drivers license and handgun permit to be from the same state. Don't give up on a flying job in Indiana to quick, this is year 23 for me as a pilot, and I have spent 21 of those living here.

Good Luck

I'm not sure of your question...permit :vs: no permit, or IN short term permit :vs: lifetime IN permit?

You need a permit in any state that you live in (if allowed), but I believe that the lifetime IN permit is only $15 - $20 more than the typical shorter term permit (not sure of the length of time...my son just moved to IN and is looking into it)...why wouldn't you want to take the lifetime option? It would appear to be the preferred option...
    If you move, what do you loose?

Stay armed...choose lifetime...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

State Police website with "Firearms Regulations"

ISP: Home

Look here for info, 'handgun possesion information'
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...5/ar47/ch2.htm

I wish I had more time to help, I've got to go to work. Darn

Thanks guys,

Actually the cost of a first time 4 year is $40 total and first time lifetime is $125. With the new baby the $85 would buy a lot of diapers Don't want to waste the $85 if the permit would be worthless if I became a resident of another state within the next 5 years.

But reading the law, it seems it is good for the lifetime of the holder unless they find you to be no longer a "proper person" to hold the permit, it says nothing about staying a resident, so I think the lifetime will be worth it.

flymu2b,
    I've been flying professionally for 7 years now and I have been in Indiana for most of it (my old CFI job for Vincennes University which the actually flying is done out of an LWV so I still count that as Indiana since I never lived in Illinois nor want to ). I plan to staying in Indiana but you never know. I know I'm not going airlines, I really enjoy flight instructing and am trying to stay teaching in a college flight program to make the ends met somewhat hehe. Some of the other programs out there like Western Michigan might draw me away from my home state eventually. PM me if you want to talk more flying, I'd love to hear where and what (assuming at least some MU2 time hehe) you've been flying.

If you find a definitive answer on this I would LOVE to know. I've lived in Indiana my whole life and am currently up at Purdue getting a degree in Civil Engineering. While I hope to stay in Indiana, I might have to move after graduation and am curious if my lifetime permit will get voided because of that. Keep us updated.
    "I play for keeps."

Indiana law is pretty common sensical about these things.

While you live in the state, the lifetime license would be the way to go, IMO. That's what I have.

But, if and when you move out of state and establish residency in another state, you will be under that states laws, not Indiana's.

Your Indiana gun license would be voided just like your drivers license would be voided.

You would need to maintain a residence in the state to retain your lifetime license, and probably get a non-resident permit from your new state.

For example, if you moved to Florida, you would need to get a FL CCW Permit to carry there. The FL CCW permit would be recognized by Indiana because Indiana recognizes all states carry permits.

But if you kept an Indiana residence, your FL permit would need to be a Non-Resident permit.

Many folks have non-resident permits from many states. Utah is a popular one because it is recognized by the most other states.

Researching carry laws is certainly a consideration in choosing which state to move to.

If you still feel unsure call the Indiana State Police and ask them directly.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Contrary to others in this thread, I'm guessing that your lifetime permit would be valid in Indiana for life as my Tennessee lifetime hunting license is good for life, regardless of state or country or residency or citizenship.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Contrary to others in this thread, I'm guessing that your lifetime permit would be valid in Indiana for life as my Tennessee lifetime hunting license is good for life, regardless of state or country or residency or citizenship.
    Please don't guess. We strive to provide accurate answers to members' questions.

For example, if I moved to Wyoming, my Montana resident hunting license, as well as my CWP, would be invalid.

Indiana's laws are not the same as Tennessee's. See the post right above your's.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Matt,

Don't compare the opportunity cost of a carry permit with diapers. There are plenty of other things not to spend money on to make up for the fees. Perhaps, you could take my daughter and me on a plane ride for the cost, she loves airplanes!

I just phoned the license branch. Here is the scoop. If you move out of state you need to notify the license branch in writing within 60 days of change of name or address. Your Indiana permit is no longer valid once you move out of state.

Indiana does not offer non-resident permits. However, Indiana retains your information and upon moving back to Indiana you can have your license reinstated, by calling the Firearms Licensing Section at 317.233.5054 (ISP: Telephone Directory), for $20 to be reinstated.

On the other end of it, all out of state permits are valid in Indiana, pardon the states that do not offer a permit, such as Illinois.

Hope that solves the riddle. You also find these instructions on your lifetime license. The instructions read: The Licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee. You are REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the State Police, in writing, within 60 days of a change of name and/or address. Application made through your sheriff or police dept.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsstnr View Post
    Matt,

Don't compare the opportunity cost of a carry permit with diapers. There are plenty of other things not to spend money on to make up for the fees. Perhaps, you could take my daughter and me on a plane ride for the cost, she loves airplanes!

I just phoned the license branch. Here is the scoop. If you move out of state you need to notify the license branch in writing within 60 days of change of name or address. Your Indiana permit is no longer valid once you move out of state.

Indiana does not offer non-resident permits. However, Indiana retains your information and upon moving back to Indiana you can have your license reinstated, by calling the Firearms Licensing Section at 317.233.5054 (ISP: Telephone Directory), for $20 to be reinstated.

On the other end of it, all out of state permits are valid in Indiana, pardon the states that do not offer a permit, such as Illinois.

Hope that solves the riddle. You also find these instructions on your lifetime license. The instructions read: The Licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee. You are REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the State Police, in writing, within 60 days of a change of name and/or address. Application made through your sheriff or police dept.
    Thanks!!! That's exactly what I needed to know, I was waiting on my email to ISP but sometimes I forget to use that ancient technology of the telephone ;)

If it is only $20 to reinstate, I could move out of state and come back 4 times and still save money I was more joking about the cost of diapers, just didn't made sense if I move sometime soon and it be worthless after getting a "lifetime" that lasted less than 4 years. I agree that the lifetime is a great opportunity and glad that Indiana offers it, just wanted to be sure I would really be taking advantage of it or throwing money that could be used on a holster/ammo/diapers hehe.

Glad you daughter loves airplanes! IMO, we always need more women in aviation. I'm hoping my daughter loves airplanes too. I fly out of the Greenwood airport and we offer Discovery Flights for stuff like that (as do most airports). I don't make tons of money off of it but I love to fly anybody who's interested. Overall, I really like teaching people to fly, it's a great job satisfaction, just wish it paid more.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCFII View Post

Glad you daughter loves airplanes! IMO, we always need more women in aviation. I'm hoping my daughter loves airplanes too. I fly out of the Greenwood airport and we offer Discovery Flights for stuff like that (as do most airports). I don't make tons of money off of it but I love to fly anybody who's interested. Overall, I really like teaching people to fly, it's a great job satisfaction, just wish it paid more.
    Glad to help. PM me about Discovery Flights, what it costs, etc. I'd like to find the time this summer between the zoos and aquariums for something like that.

Sponsored Links