why multiple firearms

why multiple firearms

This is a discussion on why multiple firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I notice that a lot of people here carry several different kinds of firearms. I would think that one carried at all times would make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why multiple firearms

why multiple firearms

I notice that a lot of people here carry several different kinds of firearms. I would think that one carried at all times would make more sense because you would be most familier with it when the shtf and under stress..just a thought. I know that a backup if the primary breaks would be a good idea to have.

The old adage applies: "Beware of the man who owns only one gun; he probably knows how to use it".
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

More than one gun gives you more carry options. Depending on what your attire will be, can influence what gun you decide to carry on a certain day.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Changing weather conditions can have a bearing on what people carry. Warmer weather requires a change in wardrobe so smaller, more concealable guns become an option. Alot of us here just like different types of guns. We have our wish lists and add to our collection from them as our finances allow. familiarity with how different guns work isn't a bad thing. Say you got into a struggle with a bad guy and you both had guns. In the process of the struggle you both lose your guns and end grabbing the others gun. I would rather know how his worked and be able to use it before he figured out how to use mine against me. Just a thought or two about your question. I am sure there are others here more qualified to fully answer that question than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    More than one gun gives you more carry options. Depending on what your attire will be, can influence what gun you decide to carry on a certain day.
    I absoultly agree. On the weekends and off days, I carry a P239 that I can conceal with a sweatshirt or another loose t shirt, polo etc... During the work week, I wear docker type pants and a tucked in collared shirt. Then I carry a PPK that disappears in my pocket. My choice would be to carry the 239 all the time but it just won't work out that way.

I carry A USPc ,and a 1911, A fullsize USP on my nightstand, All three cocked and locked!! Get a grip, sweep the safety, BANG,BANG All the same!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I own and carry quite a few different handguns and have trained extensively with all of them which I'm very familiar with each one and their different operations . I personally don't carry a gun til I've put at least 500rds through it . Also like everyone else stated different weather and dress /occasions predicts what to carry .

Welcome to the forum iraimer,

IMO, your statement is MOSTLY correct. But I'll qualify that by saying that I think a shooter could be proficient with more than one gun and take advantage of his/her muscle memory and subconscious skills as long as the guns are of the same/similar type, and have the same manual of arms(auto, single action, dao, etc.).

For instance, I have gravitated to the 1911 style, and find I can shoot and handle it better than most other guns, so that is what I use in USPSA matches. All the same, I do have other guns, and especially for carry purposes, the 1911 is sometimes not appropriate. Enter my Glock, and my S&W revolver.

The similarity in these three guns is that since I carry the 1911 cocked and locked, and have conditioned my muscle memory to sweep the safety every time I draw, basically, all three of these guns will fire with the pull of a trigger. I still sweep the non-existant safety when drawing the Glock and S&W; of course this is not necessary, but it keeps the mechanics of motion virtually the same with all three.

Shooting well with whatever you draw, is just practice, and I do believe that if I change the Glock to a smaller 1911, There would be an even smoother transition as the grip angle on the Glock is slightly different.

Lastly, I think the platform you choose has to be something you like - and want to get out and shoot it, or else the practice becomes too much like drudgery.

I hope I made some sense ;

Good shooting,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

I myself own several.1911 gov. BHP 9mm and sig225..and I try to practice with all of them as often as I can..but will probably just carry the Sig as it is ..I feel a good all round choice and will be easy to conceal with the way I dress 99% of the time. A person can never have too many firearms.

I've got two I switch back and forth from. One can be in the pocket and easy to conceal and is better in the heat.. And the xd when I can have a sweat shirt or big shirt to cover..

Different conditions and circumstances merit different guns and modes of carry, as others have stated above. Not all of us can dress the same everyday, everywhere we go. Fort that reason I'll have a Glock IWB, or a Keltec P3AT in a pocket or my new 642 in my pocket or perhaps IWB, all depends where I'm going, what I doing, how I'm dressed, BUT I'll be armed and all my guns just need the trigger pulled to go bang, no safeties to mess with etc. I practice with all them and I'm secure in my abilities with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lraimer View Post
    I notice that a lot of people here carry several different kinds of firearms. I would think that one carried at all times would make more sense because you would be most familier with it when the shtf and under stress..just a thought. I know that a backup if the primary breaks would be a good idea to have.
    Practice. Practice. Practice. Then it won't make a difference which one(s) you're carrying because you will have ingrained your muscle memory to each gun.

Other's have said it, but what it comes down to is this: there isn't one perfect for all situations or preferences (that is for most of us).

I think the arguement could be made that since I am proficient in driving automobile X, then if I were to have a second car it should be the same one so that if I need to avoid a shtf-situation and under stress I could react properly because I am most familiar with automobile X. Doesn't cut it for me. Get used to each weapon and carry only when you know you're comfortable with each and know your limitations.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Well, mostly because I can!

I have seen many people who carry a BUG. This is ok if the 2nd one is the same as the primary. I would never carry 2 that were different, but I have carried 2 that was the same. Too big a risk of getting mags mixed.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member
    I could probably get by with just one carry gun. However clothing, weather, size, caliber, brands, etc are all my personal excuses that helps me justify the need to buy more guns. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (note- signature line below)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links