A reminder to the non-office dwelling desk jockies

This is a discussion on A reminder to the non-office dwelling desk jockies within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check your spare carry mags! I had to go run a few errands yesterday, and I forgot to thread my spare mag holster when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reminder to the non-office dwelling desk jockies

A reminder to the non-office dwelling desk jockies

Check your spare carry mags!

I had to go run a few errands yesterday, and I forgot to thread my spare mag holster when I was "Suiting" up, so I just took the mag out and put it in my coat pocket. It was a little dusty, and I noticed a bit of grit on the top round, blew it off and away I went.

I got home and addressed the dust issue and started to empty the mag. Popped out the first round, and the following round stayed right where it was... 1 round low in the mag. Tapped it a couple of times, they followed up, slid out round number 2 and the same thing happened.

Thank God today was not the day I needed it. Two days prior I was out in the field replacing some brake lines and a valve on a trailer and was rolling around in the dirt for a while. My spare mag carrier is a nylon web knife holster with a velcro flap, with the mag inverted. It still managed to pick up enough grit inside the mag to jam it up.

I daily wipe down the exterior of my weapon, then re-oil the frame and slide (corrosion issue), and depending on the weekly activities I will do a quick field strip for a wipe down, and re-oil to remove lint and such on the weekend. It never occurred to me to check the mags.

Lesson learned, fortunately before an emergency.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

very good argument for carrying condition 1.

and a good reason to practice failure drills.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I cleaned and double checked mine again after I read this.

Ditto, did the same with mine.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JD
    Administrator
    Hmmm, might be time to rotate and clean mags.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    This happened to my M9 mags in Iraq all the time. Couldn't just clean and lube them cause I didn't have any dry lube, and oil would attract more sand. Hopefully the recoil would be enough to jar the next round free. Tap, rack, bang?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    This happened to my M9 mags in Iraq all the time. Couldn't just clean and lube them cause I didn't have any dry lube, and oil would attract more sand. Hopefully the recoil would be enough to jar the next round free. Tap, rack, bang?
    I believe Matt Larson says hope is not a plan. :) I think he's right.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Lead Moderator
    I take my gun off if I plan of crawling in the dirt/fixing my truck. Good reminder though, since we can't always avoid dirtying up our gear.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I believe Matt Larson says hope is not a plan. :) I think he's right.
    This is true. Lesson learned though, and I'll be taking dry lube this next deployment.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Somehow, I just feel compelled to post in this thread. It seems to be calling my name or something...

How long do people here keep their mags loaded? I've heard of "permanent compression" and that the springs can become stiff when left loaded for so long, but I've also heard of mags being loaded and shelved for years...and then functioning just fine.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Desk Jockey View Post
    Somehow, I just feel compelled to post in this thread. It seems to be calling my name or something...
    Oop..my bad, ( there had to be one)

Zach, there was another thread on the issue about the springs in mags. The wear and tear occurs from repeated compression and release.

I'd say that when the last round in a clean mag is loose and can be gravity dropped out, then it is time to replace it.

I don't oil my mags. They are dry. The follower is a tough plastic that provides it's own low coefficient of friction to do it's job. If I did need to lube them, then a dry graphite spray would be my choice.

I carry tucked IWB, so the only thing that I have to deal with on my weapon is lint in the hammer crotch. The loaded mag picks up nothing.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I carry tucked IWB, so the only thing that I have to deal with on my weapon is lint in the hammer crotch. The loaded mag picks up nothing.
    Ditto here. But, I will say my XD40 Service is a lint magnet!
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Senior Moderator
    I rotate my mags usually once a month after my range trip.

I don't carry when I am working on my house because of the dust, and tight spaces. Both have caused me problems (I don't like getting stuck in a wall or having to clean my carry pistol each evening)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I will rotate my magazines every 3 months and let the other ones rest for the same amount of time. I have never had a problem doing this and I also do not lubricate the magazine springs. I use a silicone impregnated cloth to wipe them down and leave them dry as the oil will attract lint and dust in a hurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links